Issue with Thumbnail View: thumbnails of png files not showed

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

PrFalken

Issue with Thumbnail View: thumbnails of png files not showed

Post by *PrFalken »

Hi !

I've been using TC for many many years, but I'm far from being a power user ... so please don't slap if my issue is stupid :D

My "Screenshots" directory contains bith jpg and png (I think Windows' Snipping Tool now save in png by default ...) but the thumbnail view doesn't work fine in this folder.

For a reason, the thumbnails of jpg are visible, but not the thumbnails of png files :

Image: https://i.ibb.co/XWCWG4M/Screenshot-2023-09-09-102203.png

My thumbnails settings are as below :

Image: https://i.ibb.co/fNH2Mv7/Screenshot-2023-09-09-102756.png

I have same behaviour with TC 11 and TC11.01.

Interesting thing is that if I move all my screenshots in another folder (ex c:\temp), the thumbnails from the other folder are perfectl ...

So it seems to be related to my folder "C:\Users\Martin\OneDrive\Images\Screenshots" ...

I then noticed that there is a dicrepancy between the folder names of my OneDrive in Windows Explorer versus in TC :

Image: https://i.ibb.co/q09ny60/Screenshot-2023-09-09-103734.png

(My Windows was in French before I switched it to English ...)

If you have any advice or if I can give more details, let me know :)

Martin
PrFalken - Proud License Owner (#260557)
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Re: Issue with Thumbnail View

Post by *Horst.Epp »

I guess your files in the OneDrive sub-folders are only available online.
Only if you load / display such files, they will be downloaded.
It would be strange if TC tried to show thumbnails
as this would mean first downloading the files.
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3527)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1373a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.73
QAP 11.6.3.2 x64
PrFalken

Post by *PrFalken »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-09-09, 09:40 UTC I guess your files in the OneDrive sub-folders are only available online.
I checked this, and no they are not 'online only' ... :(
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

You can add *.png to the line "Internal thumbnails from images". It should normally be there, you must have removed it to use a plugin, probably a long time ago...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

It should normally be there
I don't think so. These are the default types in "Internal thumbnails from images" with a fresh .ini file *.jpg *.dng *.arw *.crw *.cr2 *.cr3 *.nef *.orf *.pef *.raf *.rw2

Using *.* in "Use Explorer method (OLE2)" works for .png.
Using *.png in "Internal thumbnails from images" does NOT work for .png (when Explorer method and Lister plugins method are disabled).

So the settings shown here: https://i.ibb.co/fNH2Mv7/Screenshot-2023-09-09-102756.png should work for .png files - maybe PrFalken should delete his thumbnail cache files in %$LOCAL_APPDATA%\GHISLER
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Sorry, you are right, this first option only works with file types containing internal thumbnail images like jpg or raw images. But TC should still load PNG images when no other method works...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
PrFalken

Post by *PrFalken »

petermad wrote: 2023-09-10, 13:20 UTC maybe PrFalken should delete his thumbnail cache files in %$LOCAL_APPDATA%\GHISLER
I tried also this ... no luck ...

In the meantime I've solved my OneDrive folders discrepancies by switching everything to English (my OneDrive was initially in French, I thought maybe the differences with the Images/Pictures folder could cause the issue), it solved temporarily, but then it fail back to not displaying png icons :'(

I'm still looking into it ...
gunterotto

Post by *gunterotto »

Bump. I too have the same issue as Petermad describes above. TC does not show PNG thumbnails for me either, in this case it is in my default "Pictures\Samsung Gallery\DCIM\Screenshots" folder. I've only recently become aware of this issue since, as mentioned above, the Snipping Tool now defaults to PNG. I had/have no problems with JPG thumbnails in the many years using TC.

I've tried all the solutions recommended above, to no avail. Just wondering if there is anything else I can try? Thanks
User license #29286 (1993, v3.53, still have the floppy disk 😁)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2gunterotto
Bump. I too have the same issue as Petermad describes above.
Actually it is not I that have the problem - it is/was PrFalken
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
gunterotto

Post by *gunterotto »

Yes, that is correct, my bad. But I am really more interested in who has the solution, rather than who has the problem. 🤪
BTW, PNG files show fine in Lister using F3. Odd that the thumbnails do not. I'm using the same config setting as you (with the addition of custom fields).
Image: https://imgur.com/a/LAShFC1
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2gunterotto
The configuration shown here above in: https://i.ibb.co/fNH2Mv7/Screenshot-2023-09-09-102756.png is not mine either but PrFalken's

My configuration looks like this: https://tcmd.madsenworld.dk/thumbsconfig2.png - you cannot see it all, so here is it from the .ini file:

Code: Select all

ThumbOptions=15
ThumbGdiplusTypes=*.jpg *.dng *.crw *.arw *.cr2 *.cr3 *.nef *.orf *.pef *.raf *.rw2
ThumbPlgTypes=*.* | *png *.jpg *.avi *.mp3 *.mp4 *.wmv *.mov *.mpeg *mpg *.m4v
ThumbExplTypes=*.png *.avi *.mp3 *.mp4 *.wmv *.mov *.mpeg *mpg *.m4v | *.htm* *.lnk
ThumbIrfXnTypes=*.*
ThumbTxtTypes=*.txt *.ini *.mnu *.inc *.lng *.htm*
This setting uses Explorer method for showing the thumbnails.

But this also works for me (showing .png thumbnails using plugin):

ThumbOptions=15
ThumbGdiplusTypes=*.jpg *.dng *.crw *.arw *.cr2 *.cr3 *.nef *.orf *.pef *.raf *.rw2
ThumbPlgTypes=*.* | *.jpg *.avi *.mp3 *.mp4 *.wmv *.mov *.mpeg *mpg *.m4v
ThumbExplTypes=*.avi *.mp3 *.mp4 *.wmv *.mov *.mpeg *mpg *.m4v | *.htm* *.lnk
ThumbIrfXnTypes=*.*
I works both with Imagine and PhotoViewer as primary image plugin. Imagine does not show transparent backgrond in thumbnails, PhotoViewer does

And this also works for me (showing .png thumbnails using IrfanView):

ThumbOptions=15
ThumbPlgTypes=*.* | *.png *.jpg *.avi *.mp3 *.mp4 *.wmv *.mov *.mpeg *mpg *.m4v
ThumbExplTypes=*.avi *.mp3 *.mp4 *.wmv *.mov *.mpeg *mpg *.m4v | *.htm* *.lnk
ThumbIrfXnTypes=*.*
IrfanView shows black background for png's with transparent background.

So I prefer the Explorer method, because it shows .png's with transparent background the best.

You might have a plugin that reports to TC that it can show thumbnails for png's but fails - so try and change your setting for Plugins to:

*.* | *.png
to explude .png's from being shown with plugins, the the Explorer method should work.

When you test the different setting remembre to Reload the current file panel and do it with the command:

cm_RereadSource 1
Not just the standard F2 or Ctrl+R that just uses cm_RereadSource.
License #524 (1994)
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2petermad

Thank you for providing your settings.
I think some are missing the separator '.' before the file extension "mpg".
*mpg --- *.mpg

ThumbPlgTypes=*.* | *png *.jpg *.avi *.mp3 *.mp4 *.wmv *.mov *.mpeg *mpg *.m4v     	<-- *.mpg
ThumbPlgTypes=*.* | *png *.jpg *.avi *.mp3 *.mp4 *.wmv *.mov *.mpeg *.mpg *.m4v

ThumbExplTypes=*.png *.avi *.mp3 *.mp4 *.wmv *.mov *.mpeg *mpg *.m4v | *.htm* *.lnk 	<-- *.mpg
ThumbExplTypes=*.png *.avi *.mp3 *.mp4 *.wmv *.mov *.mpeg *.mpg *.m4v | *.htm* *.lnk
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ThumbPlgTypes=*.* | *.jpg *.avi *.mp3 *.mp4 *.wmv *.mov *.mpeg *mpg *.m4v	   	<-- *.mpg
ThumbPlgTypes=*.* | *.jpg *.avi *.mp3 *.mp4 *.wmv *.mov *.mpeg *.mpg *.m4v

ThumbExplTypes=*.avi *.mp3 *.mp4 *.wmv *.mov *.mpeg *mpg *.m4v | *.htm* *.lnk	   	<-- *.mpg
ThumbExplTypes=*.avi *.mp3 *.mp4 *.wmv *.mov *.mpeg *.mpg *.m4v | *.htm* *.lnk
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ThumbPlgTypes=*.* | *.png *.jpg *.avi *.mp3 *.mp4 *.wmv *.mov *.mpeg *mpg *.m4v    	<-- *.mpg
ThumbPlgTypes=*.* | *.png *.jpg *.avi *.mp3 *.mp4 *.wmv *.mov *.mpeg *.mpg *.m4v 

ThumbExplTypes=*.avi *.mp3 *.mp4 *.wmv *.mov *.mpeg *mpg *.m4v | *.htm* *.lnk		<-- *.mpg
ThumbExplTypes=*.avi *.mp3 *.mp4 *.wmv *.mov *.mpeg *.mpg *.m4v | *.htm* *.lnk
gunterotto

Post by *gunterotto »

Wow, thanks for all that. And the quick response! I will try your suggestions as soon as I can, but I suspect that there may be some integrity and redundancy issues with my wincmd.ini file that I should deal with first. I've been reluctant to reconfig all my customization, so I've been copying the ini file from install to install instead of clean-starting. (I've got Single user license #29286, so it's been a long time!). I fear my PNG problem might be a symptom, not a bug.
Is there a utility to "clean" the wincmd.ini file to help me sort things out? Something simpler than TCIMG?
Thanks again.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2tuska
I think some are missing the separator '.' before the file extension "mpg".
Thanks! Interestingly enough it worked anyway.

2gunterotto
I've been copying the ini file from install to install instead of clean-starting. (I've got Single user license #29286
So have I and I have license #524. But I do a great deal of manual cleaning up in the ini file, and regulary make a backup, especially before insatlling new plugins or changing Custom Colums and Custum Views
License #524 (1994)
gunterotto

Re: Issue with Thumbnail View: thumbnails of png files not showed

Post by *gunterotto »

Wow, you must have recvd your copy of Windows Commander on a 5 1/4 in floppy lol.

Ok, my TC works now, it shows PNG thumbnails just fine! But get this, I made no changes to my .ini file or settings. I simply clean started TC with no wincmd.ini file, and it worked. ??? I checked, there are absolutely no "thumb" entries in the clean config file, even after closing TC. So the configuration suggestions above did not come into play at all.

My understanding of Total Commander's internals is minimal, so I won't even wager a guess as to why it works.

PNGs always dsplayed correctly with Lister and Quick View, but some anomoly prevented thumbnails from showing.
I checked the Config > Options > Thumbnails and the screen its exactly the same as it was when I sent it yesterday. Same with all the "thumb" entries in the wincmd.ini file - no change. I can attach the clean and original .ini files if anyone is curious. Regardless, the end result is fine, thank you so much for helping me solve it.

UPDATE: PNG thumbnails only show in certain folders apparently. I had them shown in the work folder I was using (on my D: drive) but they still don't display on the original c:\...\Pictures\Samsung Gallery\DCIM\Screenshots folder where they go by default.
Image: https://imgur.com/GPp67AJ

I'd consider this a bug, not a configuration issue, since PNGs display properly with a clean .ini file. Just not in all dirs.
Most unusual...
Last edited by gunterotto on 2023-12-04, 22:49 UTC, edited 2 times in total.