OT: Uncommented feature requests

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lesmo16

Post by *Lesmo16 »

petermad wrote:2icfu
I have never had the urge to use the Ignore button on you, in contrary to a certain late newcomer - I think because you are intelligent to read, whereas ....
Hey Peter, what's that? :shock:
icfu wrote:Blame and hit me instead if you like, I deserve it!
Icfu begs for some punishment, and you start to please him ... :mrgreen:
Everyone believing in telekinesis, raise my hand!
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

Blame and hit me instead if you like, I deserve it!
Wham, bang, bang! Splash!
Yeah, I knew it was your fault all along Icfu, always getting out the wrong side of bed. Take that, and That, and THAT! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, why are some posters getting so wound up over Ghisler not replying personally to every little suggested improvement? I'm sure he could easily pop in a soothing canned reply to each and every one and not do a single thing about it, couldn't he? The proof will be in the next update as usual, so let's not get too strung out about it.

Many of these improvements would be nice to have but the planet Earth's not going to stop turning if they're not implemented immediately, if ever. Unicode, for example, is a bullet that Ghisler's going to have to bite sooner rather later. But my guess is that many would cater to only a small group of hardcore enthusiasts (you know who you are) and wouldn't be missed by most - and Ghisler knows this.

He's on record as keeping a to-do list of improvements and we know from his replies that he follows the forum comments closely. Personally, I think he shows a lot of courtesy in taking the time to respond as often as he does. When was the last time you noticed the author of a very successful software package appear twice a week in his own forum?

Let's face it, if TC didn't fulfill 98% of your desires (of the software kind, not the other! :P ) despite its few shortcomings, all of you would be off to some other file manager forum faster than you could say "Quick, run, here comes majkinetor!" :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a sneaking suspicion that even the grumblers enjoy this community for its blindingly speedy reponses to queries and demonstrable software expertise. Props to the moddys too for ruling witha light touch, which is nice.

I'm certainly looking forward to TC7 next year, and since it's almost 2006, may I wish you all "新年好" which is "Happy New Year" in French!
Jungle

Re: OT: Uncommented feature requests

Post by *Jungle »

majkinetor wrote: As a member of this community I find very anoying the fact that too many requests to improve TC keep staying in the fog. There is no clear clue what will happen with the request, whether it will be scheduled for implementation or not, whether it will enter the wish list or not, especialy for those that received several positive user comments, like this one.

We want to know is it accepted or not, for EVERY request. If not, I will change my opinion for this forum. I already find that too many posts here became loose of time.
If we want to know the future of our requests, I suppose that a separate forum for the Feature Requests should be created where each topic would be a VOTING for FR with a visual charting. Author should explain his/her wish as clear as possible and other members might vote for this (maybe after some additional explanations and discussion) instead of posting "support++", "agree" etc. So everyone (and especially Mr. Ghisler) could see what feature is more or less desirable (this could also be considered as an implementation priority). If some total number of votes (discussable) is reached and there is enough supporting votes (discussable too), Mr. Ghisler should tell us whether request will be satisfied or not and why. If there is no enough votes after some period, the topic might be closed. And some time before the planned release the list of features to be implemented should be posted to enjoy the people :)
I think it would be justly.

Thanks.
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

@ Lefti
The only thing that would make sense would be a user-centred design process
And we heave a man talking here, finally. I can see thousands of posts on every forum. If this forum was not originaly designed to handle user request and everything else in advanced manner then this must be redesigned now.

@ SheepDog
Thx for that info. That surely helps to understand things here. So basickly U say, that moderators here are not moderators at all, but humanoidal AI's designed to catch nasty words and behaviors. Ok! I know the truth know. Sorry goes to Hacker for my malitious writings. I guess it is not your fault. I guess it is Leftious fault - I asked him once how much does he earn on this job and he was quiet.... If he told me the truth I would know that being moderator here is nothing serious :)

@ icfu
I don't know that norfie guy, but after the forum search I stealed his avatar for my ICQ account, and found some useful info about his personality. I must say that your contacts with infamous norfie left scars on your soul :)
That is the only possible explanation for your behavior :) I ain't no shrink but this is obvious...

@ petermad
And YOU, dear majki what have YOU done for the community lately (if ever)
Use search and you will find out. Or just ask your mama.

@ SQUIRE
Quick, run, here comes majkinetor!
:) :) I know you like me. No need to emphasize that :)

About your post.... hmm... well.. I hate to admit it, but what U says does ring a bell here. BUT, u must also understand that in point in which one decides to use TC instead of explorer we heave crutial design for computer future of that being. It is from my personal experience. So, we heave many power users of TC (I mean, you heave new plugins on totalcmd.net every day), and they will find every little non-important-for-the-masses updates to TC compelling.

@ Jungle
VOTING
+
We are not doing this just for the money.
We are doing it for sh*t load of money.

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

When was the last time you noticed the author of a very successful software package appear twice a week in his own forum?
I did once a request at M$ for their Outlook Express could not longer show me my mails in the subfolders although they still existed.

I received a robot-answer and no help at all. It ended up with me using Thunderbird and restoring my data with dbxplugin for TC.
f we want to know the future of our requests, I suppose that a separate forum for the Feature Requests should be created where each topic would be a VOTING for FR with a visual charting.
Do you know the Polls forum ?

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

I did once a request at M$ for their Outlook Express could not longer show me my mails in the subfolders although they still existed.
So what... Do you compare MS with Ghisler ?

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com
Jungle

Post by *Jungle »

Sheepdog wrote:Do you know the Polls forum ?
I didn't know, thanks. But i've just taken a look at this and found out that this is a general polls forum with topics like

"Which plugin for images do you prefer",
"Which file-sharing application are you using",
"The age of TC users!",
"On what hardware do you use Total Commander?"

What a mess! Every thing should have its own place. I don't think some member of this forum keep all the files in the root directory. Just take a look at http://www.jimm.org/forum/ for example. There are no polls there but i like such a structure. There are separate forums for FR, Bugs, Contributions etc.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

majkinetor wrote:
So what... Do you compare MS with Ghisler ?
Nope, I did tell a story from my long long life. ;)

sheepdog
Douglas Adams
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Jungle wrote:What a mess! Every thing should have its own place. I don't think some member of this forum keep all the files in the root directory. Just take a look at http://www.jimm.org/forum/ for example. There are no polls there but i like such a structure. There are separate forums for FR, Bugs, Contributions etc.
That would need a moderator staff to maintain this board and it would no longer be possible for @Ghisler to watch this forum all by himself.

And that's one thing he does not like to.

sheepdog
Douglas Adams
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Lesmo16
Icfu begs for some punishment, and you start to please him
That's often how it goes - being a little humble wins people.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Lesmo16

Post by *Lesmo16 »

SQUIRE wrote:When was the last time you noticed the author of a very successful software package appear twice a week in his own forum?
Daily! The author of xnView is every day in his forum.
He comments every bug report and suggestion/request!
And the cherry on the cake: He's available at ICQ almost any time!
Everyone believing in telekinesis, raise my hand!
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

@ Ghisler
SheepDog wrote:That would need a moderator staff to maintain this board and it would no longer be possible for @Ghisler to watch this forum all by himself.

And that's one thing he does not like to.
Is this true ?
jungle wrote:What a mess!
Correct!
petermad wrote:hat's often how it goes - being a little humble wins people.
Thank you for this beautifully spoken words. I will surely think about that, write a few eseys maybe....

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com
gbo

Re: OT: Uncommented feature requests

Post by *gbo »

Jungle wrote:
majkinetor wrote: As a member of this community I find very anoying the fact that too many requests to improve TC keep staying in the fog. There is no clear clue what will happen with the request, whether it will be scheduled for implementation or not, whether it will enter the wish list or not, especialy for those that received several positive user comments, like this one.

We want to know is it accepted or not, for EVERY request. If not, I will change my opinion for this forum. I already find that too many posts here became loose of time.
If we want to know the future of our requests, I suppose that a separate forum for the Feature Requests should be created where each topic would be a VOTING for FR with a visual charting. Author should explain his/her wish as clear as possible and other members might vote for this (maybe after some additional explanations and discussion) instead of posting "support++", "agree" etc. So everyone (and especially Mr. Ghisler) could see what feature is more or less desirable (this could also be considered as an implementation priority). If some total number of votes (discussable) is reached and there is enough supporting votes (discussable too), Mr. Ghisler should tell us whether request will be satisfied or not and why. If there is no enough votes after some period, the topic might be closed. And some time before the planned release the list of features to be implemented should be posted to enjoy the people :)
I think it would be justly.

Thanks.
In an other forum there is a very nice feature for Top Feature Requests

http://gallery.menalto.com/sfvote

I am not sure how it could be implemented but such a feature will be a plus for TC forum IMHO

How it works :
---------------------------------------------------------
Top Feature Requests: Help

Top feature requests are the submissions users such as you submit and vote on, to be considered for addition to future versions of Gallery. You must login to your Gallery account to be able to cast votes.

You may add your own feature requests by using the respective tools on SourceForge, which will be made available for voting on this website within six hours.

You may vote for any feature at any time, and assign it a value between +5 and -2. You are assigned a quota of votes to assign as you wish, which is based upon your post count in the forums and how long you have been a member on this site.

Using the 'my votes' page you may view your current votes, and if you wish, take them off of a feature so that they may be reassigned. The association of posts and member-age to number of available votes is also listed on this page.

If a feature is removed or fulfilled from the list, your votes will be returned to you.

It is very helpful to know what you are interested in, but a feature will make it in when a developer not working on something else is interested in working on it and does the work. If a particular feature is very important to you, consider pitching in your own programming skills or asking in the "Marketplace - Services" section of the forums.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gil
Licence #17346

90% of coding is debugging. The other 10% is writing bugs.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2majkinetor
And YOU, dear majki what have YOU done for the community lately (if ever)
Use search and you will find out
I did, and out of your 260 posts I found about 22 that was helpful or of common interest - so I stand corrected - you DO contribute to the community. I am very sorry for my mistake :oops:
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
majkinetor

Post by *majkinetor »

Thank you .

r-moth.com
r-moth.deviantart.com