Migrating user questions:Text editor & making directorie

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bugmenot

Migrating user questions:Text editor & making directorie

Post by *bugmenot »

I'm looking around for a replacement for my trusty Norton Commander 2.01 and obviously came to Total Commander. I've been using the trial version of 6.53 and so far so good, I love the tab functionality especially.

However, for my needs there are two things that I don't get to work as I would like. They are rather small, but very important to me:

a) I'm used to pressing (alt-)f4 to very quickly edit a text file with NC's internal texteditor. I don't need anything fancy, just the quickest way to change a few letters in a plain text document.
alt-f4, ...edit..., smash escape, slam enter and done! I can alter a digit in a file in under a second.

Now, TC always forces me to use an external editor, and that takes more time to load, opens an extra window, and takes more time to edit and save. To some people that may sound petty, but quickness and full control is the reason we use Commanders like TC in the first place, and not Windows Explorer, right? Since I need this functionality dozens of times a day, it really is a frustration with TC that I didn't have with NC.

b) When making directories, TC doesn't seem to remember -as NC does- the names of previously created directories.
If I first make "total commander files 1999" and then want to make "total commander files 2000", I need to type out the full title, even though only four digits have changed.
In NC, when creating the second directory, you can press arrow-down to show the name of the previously created dir, change those last four digits and be on your merry way to create ...2001, ...2002, etc... in a much quicker way than having to type it all out over and over again.

Even though this post is shaping up to be quite long, my question is short: are the two described issues oversights on my part, or integral to the program? If the former is true, please enlighten me and I'm sure I'll become a happy TC user. If the latter is the case, I'm afraid my search is not over yet...

Thanks!
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

There is a viewer plugin SynPlus which can also edit, even in quick view mode.
http://www.totalcmd.net/directory/synplus.html

Use the TC command line to repeat your commands.
There is a history available.
bugmenot

Post by *bugmenot »

Horst.Epp wrote:There is a viewer plugin SynPlus which can also edit, even in quick view mode. http://www.totalcmd.net/directory/synplus.html
Lovely. Excellent plugin :)

Horst.Epp wrote:Use the TC command line to repeat your commands.
There is a history available.
I can only get it to repeat the actual "DOS" commands I type, not the F7-make directory option :?
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

Use "md dirname" in the commandline
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2bugmenot

Hmm, your point b.) brought me to a feature request. See this post. Maybe this could be helpful for you, if it would be implemented...
I think a workaround with AutoHotkey is possible too, but IMHO this should be implemented as a native function...
bugmenot

Post by *bugmenot »

StickyNomad wrote:2bugmenot
Hmm, your point b.) brought me to a feature request. See this post. Maybe this could be helpful for you, if it would be implemented...
Absolutely, thank you :D

Since Norton Commander is pretty much 'abandonware', maybe it would be useful to take a closer look at all its functions and implement whatever is an improvement into a next TC release. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

@Horst.Epp - md works, of course, but it's still a workaround 8)
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Now, TC always forces me to use an external editor, and that takes more time to load ...
I use "Metapad" as an external editor for this purpose.
http://liquidninja.com/metapad/

It is a single file of 93 kB (no install, just use it), and loads in a second.
F4 - edit - ESC - done :)
#5767 Personal license
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2bugmenot
TC doesn't seem to remember -as NC does- the names of previously created directories.
Interesting, I have Norton Commander 3.0 and 4.0 and they both don't have that feature when creating directories with F7 - so that must be specific for your 2.x version I guess.

I use Metapad too - it can't be any faster.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I use Metapad too - it can't be any faster.
It can:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nulifetv/freezip/freeware/edxor.htm

;)

Icfu
This account is for sale
Jungle

Post by *Jungle »

petermad wrote: Interesting, I have Norton Commander 3.0 and 4.0 and they both don't have that feature when creating directories with F7 - so that must be specific for your 2.x version I guess.
maybe you're talking about DOS versions and bugmenot - about WINDOWS version?
Thanks.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

petermad wrote:I use Metapad too - it can't be any faster.
It can and it even can be smaller than icfu's :P
Win32Pad
Hoecker sie sind raus!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

I mentioned EDXOR because of speed, not because of size.
Furthermore EDXOR feature set kicks your win32pad out of milky way.

You need EDXOR fix on website (older riched32.dll) for extreme speed. If you have applied it just compare loading time of huge files, it's impressive.

Icfu
Last edited by icfu on 2006-01-28, 10:54 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
This account is for sale
bugmenot

Post by *bugmenot »

Jungle wrote:maybe you're talking about DOS versions and bugmenot - about WINDOWS version?
Must be; my DOS 4.0 doesn't remember directories either. And, the Windows version never got above v2.01.

And everyone; great suggestions on the text editors! Some really great little proggies. I'll be testing them out this weekend :D
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

2 icfu:

Hell man, once again you prove that you are master of all things software and that nothing escapes your attention.
That EdXOR is a real little demon of an editor, so tiny and yet so potent. Like a small hand grenade! :lol:

Also on that terrific site are dfsok which looks like a fantastic replacement for Norton Ghost, and dsFSR file search and replace. Have you checked them out? Interested in your opinion.

Cheers, and thanks, dude!
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Furthermore EDXOR feature set kicks your win32pad out of milky way.
Hej, people whats wrong with you today... you are becoming very funny :) :lol:
If I first make "total commander files 1999" and then want to make "total commander files 2000", I need to type out the full title, even though only four digits have changed.
what about copy/paste ?

also... try CLCL... some people make my attention for this one and now I am CLCL junky. I love it so much that I use 150 history lines :lol:. The only thing that is missing is Unicode but.. oh my God.. this is an open source project.
Habemus majkam!