Should F2 become the default for renaming?

Only forum where polls are allowed. You may announce a new poll in the matching support forum.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Should F2 become the default for renaming?

Yes
63%
No
25%
I don't care
12%

Total votes: 583

Nyks

Post by *Nyks »

m^2 wrote:Configuration->Misc->Redefine keys->F2->cm_RenameOnly
Thanks, works.

BTW: Will this not become default?
--
Jan
Phobophile

Post by *Phobophile »

pdavit wrote:If Christian we go down that road then a whole list of shortcuts must be changed. F5 for refreshing and not for copying and so on...

TC is a completely deferent and completely customizable (to some extend) tool so why bother?...

There are more important features to be added and/or tweaked.
Totally agree!
Nxqd3051990

Post by *Nxqd3051990 »

SanskritFritz wrote:
Can you tell how to do such a customization? 'cause I've never found such settings...
Lets stick to my F2 example:
Options / Misc / Redefine hotkeys:
Hotkey: F2
Command: cm_RenameOnly (Rename (Shift+F6))
Press the green button next to it, and finally OK.
I'm new to total commander, but now i find it's so great and useful. So i don't waste my time to stupid windows explorer any more.
Thanks ghisler, and thanks all m8 :)
nXqd
brahman

Post by *brahman »

I voted for F2 = rename and have changed it years ago in my config.

I totally support the idea of several hotkey configurations during TC install:

Give the user a choice for using standard Explorer (Windows) keys and some more intuitive combinations or the old Norton Commander and legacy TC keys for the established user base for whom they have become second nature.

In consideration of the new user I would make Explorer keys the default choice in this dialogue.

Implement this consistently (also in menus).

TC is a very complex program and it needs to be as standard compliant and easy to use as possible "out of the box" to appeal to new (in terms of 1st time) and inexperienced users to increase sales and adoption.

I still remember clearly years ago when starting to use TC that it was a big turn-off for me to have these non-standard keys and I switched them bit by bit to my liking. Would I have been an inexperienced user, I would have put TC to rest as too difficult to use right after that first impression.

Some suggestions for hotkeys as future default (IMHO much more intuitive keys) are:

F2=rename
Ins=Make Folder
Ctrl-U=Unselect
Ctrl-Shft-S=Create Shortcut
Ctrl-Shft-C=Copy to other Panel
Ctrl-Shft-B=Background Transfer Manager
Ctrl-Shft-0=Compare Files by Content (the equal sign is above the zero - get it ?!)
Ctrl-S=Select Files w same ext.
Ctrl-P=Copy Names w. full path to clipboard
Ctrl-0=Start Dos (Letter O)
Ctrl-N= Rename Files
Ctrl-M=Move Files
Ctrl-I=Invert Selection
Ctrl-H=Folder History
Ctrl-F=Find
Alt-Up=Previous Selected File
Alt-Down=Next Selected File
Alt-X=Swap Panels
Ctrl-0=Target=Source (again since the equal sign is above the zero ...)
Ctrl-Alt-V=Vertical Windows Toggle

Considering these more intuitive keys and continuing to strive for a more refined and polished optical appearance of TC right out of the box are IMHO probably the most effective ways to enlarge the paid userbase of this software.

Regards,

Brahman :D
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2brahman
Other suggestions
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=62073#62073
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=116363#116363
Considering these more intuitive keys
Many of them might not be intuitive if you are not English speaking - for example where I come from "Unselect" should be Ctrl+F (Fravælg) to be intuitive.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
brahman

Post by *brahman »

Hi Petermad,

thanks for pointing out these references. I am sure a lot of people have thought about this subject already. :Thmbsup:

The new element in this thread is the suggestion to give new users a hotkey choice "Windows like" hotkeys in the first install of TC that is more natural to Windows users therefore making TC easier to use and more appealling to new users while still maintaining the old hotkeys when - during install - "TC default" hotkeys can be selected.

TC seems to be mainly evolving from the suggestions and input of its very loyal, wonderful, and expert user base.

But IMHO it is sometimes necessary to consider the viewpoint of new users to enhance the commercial success of TC and in this way secure its continued development which in turn benefits the entire TC community without sacrificing their interests founded on long habits. And - as pointed out in this thread - one way this can be done is by giving choices to the (new) user during the installation process.

Christian should feel boldened on this venue by the results of the poll above - 60% want the change - even though the inhabitants of this board are probably strongly biased towards old hand user habits.
Many of them might not be intuitive if you are not English speaking - for example where I come from
They are intuitive for me now, even though English is not my native language, but of course this is my personal preference and I do not wish to force them down people's throats; just give it as one of many alternatives. And you have pointed to other excellent work that has already been done in this vein.

Now these thoughts need to be mulled over by Ghisler and the work already done by the community needs to be consolidated by him and his own input added if he wants to make TC easier to adopt for new customers and increase his sales. :D

Regards,

Brahman
Knopf

Post by *Knopf »

Hi there,

I just would like to mention that F2 has become the de facto standard for renaming items in MANY applications (also non-Microsoft). It's not only a feature of the Windows Explorer. So my opinion is that it should definitely be set by default.

(sorry if someone else mentioned that already in this thread, I haven't read through all of it)

Regards
Knopf
DaveBoltman

Post by *DaveBoltman »

Yes - F2 for rename definately like all other windows stuff
And I vote for F5 for refresh, like all other windows stuff

Thanks
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

2DaveBoltman
You should also try Alt+F4 (like all other windows stuff).
TC for Linux please!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

You should also try Alt+F4 (like all other windows stuff).
:-D
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50b4 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

brahman wrote:I totally support the idea of several hotkey configurations during TC install:

Give the user a choice for using standard Explorer (Windows) keys and some more intuitive combinations or the old Norton Commander and legacy TC keys for the established user base for whom they have become second nature.
Very good idea, I support it. Many popular media players have several shortcut presets (aka WMP/Winamp/...-like) so I think it is useful for TC too.
brahman wrote:Ins=Make Folder
For possible Explorer-like preset I suggest F12.
Explorer hasn't hotkey to create folder, but bxNewFolder shell extension adds this key.
fredscal

Post by *fredscal »

How about asking the user to choose between TC-legacy and Explorer default shortcuts during install ? (And then, perhaps, make a new poll for version 8, to see if the legacy defaults are still used).
I'd rather select a set of defaults than having to change several shortcuts myself within the config.
long-registered & happy ever since
pcitrus

Post by *pcitrus »

support F2 as rename only
why don't we follow poll results then?
mab007

Post by *mab007 »

Use F2 as Rename Only and F9 for CompareFilesByContent. Its sad that it isnot implemented since lot of people wishes this.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

I just remap F2 to RenameOnly, and leave the F6's alone. Shift+F2 also has an odd function that I haven't noticed before --> "select all in both panes".

I also see no benefit whatsoever in having F8 as Delete right beside F7's New Folder. I always remap F8 to something else. You already have DEL to do Delete - which on any keyboard I've used is in an easily accessible location. This has the benefit of freeing up F8 & Shift+F8 to do something more useful.

I wonder if anyone actually uses the Function Toolbar? Seems like its a remnant of an age gone by. It would be pretty cool if TC instead gave you Main IconBar (Top) and Bottom IconBar - which would actually be useful: even if all you wanted to do was duplicate your Main IconBar at the bottom of the window.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.