FTP Problem: Can't Connect

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

aecker22

FTP Problem: Can't Connect

Post by *aecker22 »

Hey..I'm running the Smartphone edition of Total Commander(Beta 2.5) on a Motorola Q and i'm having a problem with the built in FTP plugin. I can connect fine and everything when im plugged into my computer with usb via activesync, but as soon as I unplug the Q, it keeps saying I can't connect or connect failed. I have tried multiple servers on my computer, and I can connect with Total Commander for PC, and with SmartFTP. Is there some setting I can change or something wrong that i'm doing. I mainly want to use the FTP function to download files (music, video, documents) on the go to my phone. I'm sure I have the settings right on my phone for the server. I tried to use an orneta FTP program, and I could connect but it wouldn't let me download any files. I also tried zaSFTP and couldn't get that to connect. So i'm thinking it might be a problem with my server, and if that was the case, what is a server(free) that would work with TC. So far I have used FileZilla, WinFTP, Cerberus, Serv-U, and IIS built in XP, and all without success. As you can see i've tried like everything and can't seem to get this to work, any advice would be appreciated, and if you need any more info, just ask. Thanks
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Try closing Total Commander CE via its menu (NOT via the close button, it will only hide it), and then restart it. This has helped me on the PC when the network configuration changed, so it may help on the CE platform too...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
aecker22

Post by *aecker22 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Try closing Total Commander CE via its menu (NOT via the close button, it will only hide it), and then restart it. This has helped me on the PC when the network configuration changed, so it may help on the CE platform too...
yea thanks for the suggestion but this did not help. I think it might just be my server, do you know another ftp server I could try connecting to? Then if i'm able to connect, I might know the problem.
Gerry Busch

Post by *Gerry Busch »

aecker22 wrote:yea thanks for the suggestion but this did not help. I think it might just be my server, do you know another ftp server I could try connecting to? Then if i'm able to connect, I might know the problem.
You might want to try this anonymous login to Project Gutenberg's eBooks site:

Server:
ibiblio.org

Remote directory:
/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/

That's public, and always easy to access.
aecker22

Post by *aecker22 »

Gerry Busch wrote:
aecker22 wrote:yea thanks for the suggestion but this did not help. I think it might just be my server, do you know another ftp server I could try connecting to? Then if i'm able to connect, I might know the problem.
You might want to try this anonymous login to Project Gutenberg's eBooks site:

Server:
ibiblio.org

Remote directory:
/pub/docs/books/gutenberg/

That's public, and always easy to access.

Thanks for the suggestion. I could connect fine to that. I think it is with my server and because I have a private IP address. Is there any way I can get around this and make a server? I have tried port forwarding, but I don't know if that would help at all. Thanks for the help so far though.
Gerry Busch

Post by *Gerry Busch »

aecker22 wrote:Thanks for the suggestion. I could connect fine to that. I think it is with my server and because I have a private IP address. Is there any way I can get around this and make a server? I have tried port forwarding, but I don't know if that would help at all. Thanks for the help so far though.
Sorry, I'd be useless in that department, as I'm a real amateur when it comes to network setups. I can't even get the WEP encryption in my home Wi-Fi network to function properly after following all the instructions to the letter.