Support for Add-on Titlebar Buttons

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

alxwz

Support for Add-on Titlebar Buttons

Post by *alxwz »

This week, I returned to TC as my file manager and updated to the latest version. The Explorer-style tree in v. 7 is a great addition! And I'm happy to see that synchronization of empty directories - something I asked for years ago and which is still very important to me - is planned for the 7.5 release.

I'd also like to thank Christian Ghisler for sticking to the promise of a lifetime license. There are a lot of developers who don't. A big thank you!

However, I also have a feature request:

I use the free "Filebox eXtender" (http://www.hyperionics.com, source code available under GPL), which lets you add several buttons to the titlebars in Windows: a "stay on top" pushpin and a "roll up/down" button to all windows, a "recently-used folders" and a "favorites" button to Windows Explorer. The "recently-used folders" feature doesn't work well, but the "favorites" button is something I can't live without anymore.

See the following image which shows a Windows Explorer window in front, then a non-filemanager (IE). The third window is TC, which - like IE - only shows the pushpin and the rollup button, not the recent and favorites buttons.

Image: http://alxwzpubpics.pbwiki.com/f/Explorer-IE-TC.png

The recent and favorites buttons do work not only in Windows Explorer, but also in some other file managers (they work in DOpus, but not in TC, xplorer^2 and Xyplorer). I don't know what determines if they work or not.

The biggest benefit of the "recent" (if it works) and the "favorite" button is that you can use the same set of favorites not only in Windows Explorer and other filemanagers (that support this), but also in every open/save window. This is a HUGE plus. Filebox eXtender also lets you enlarge the open/save windows. Oh, and it will switch the open/save window to a directory that you clicked on in another Explorer window, which is also nice.

I know there are other programs out there that provide similar functions like Filebox eXtender, some of which are also free. They probably use similar code.

As I wrote, I don't know how this works and what prevents the buttons from working in TC. But I'd be happy if compatibility with Filebox eXtender (and similar apps) could be added.

Alex
# 42018

P.S.: I don't know why the image doesn't show up, but is only presented as a link.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Hello alxwz,
Welcome back to the family! ;)
But I'd be happy if compatibility with Filebox eXtender (and similar apps) could be added.
The compatibility might depend upon the use of of the Listbox control instead of a Listview. If I am right then this makes TC faster but unfortunately not work with Filebox extender. I might also be wrong, of course. Perhaps you could give FavMenu or FlashFolder a try.
P.S.: I don't know why the image doesn't show up, but is only presented as a link.
Images are disabled in the forums, sorry.

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Clo

Alas---

Post by *Clo »

2alxwz

:) Hello !

[Aside]
…P.S.: I don't know why the image doesn't show up, but is only presented as a link.
• Alas, simply because the images in messages feature is disabled here… [/Aside]

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
alxwz

Post by *alxwz »

Hacker,

thanks for the hints. I'd still prefer Filebox eXtender, since it's very non-intrusive. However, it might be a non-starter, for the reasons you mentioned.
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

This program looks interesting, so I looked at it a little. It detects all kinds of file dialogs and adds the favorites buttons to them. It can add it to other applications as well (eg. WinRAR), but it must know each such application. And it doesn't know Total Commander (yet). But it's open source, so it can be easily modified. :)

If you're brave enough to run binaries compiled by untrusted strangers, this is what you want, just replace the original FileBXH.dll:

http://web.hisoftware.cz/sob/download/FileBXH-TotalCmd.rar

But generally it's very bad idea and much more foolish then brave. ;)

This file contains changes to source code:

http://web.hisoftware.cz/sob/download/FileBox_eXtender-TotalCmd.patch

Feel free to try to persuade the author of FileBox eXtender to add it to official release. I'm quite lazy, so I'm not going to do it myself at this time. ;)

And I must not forget to thank user Lefteous for nice sample how to change path in TC, it makes 70% of the code. :)
bop sprengers

Titlebar Buttons

Post by *bop sprengers »

I use XFilesDialog, and is doen everyting you asked for.
And it works in TC !!!
Bop Sprengers
BS-SOFT
Antwerp, Belgium
info@bs-soft.net