Wish: Command Line Plugins

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

It is amazing! :) I have to tell - very first reason to invent TConsole was idea almost identical as Unjoanqualsevol's one! First of all i wanted to perform simple calculations and dec/hex conversion without leaving TC, after this i asked myself: "Why i need to write another calculator? There are a lot of perfect command-line tools!" After this i remembered about all other command-line tools and at last decided to build interface to the command interpreter!

About scripting. I've got several questions about adding scripting ability to TConsole. Yes, of course, it is possible, but for now i don't see what is the difference between script and batch file? Open URL? But http://www.google.com is just regular command and nothing more! Set alarm? It is just at command. Send commands to TC? But many commands require user interaction and therefore are not so useful in scripts.
So, for now i didn't find what functionality should be implemented in the script mechanism. :wink:
Unjoanqualsevol

Post by *Unjoanqualsevol »

Ok, maybe calculator isn't the best example. Currently I use Dave's Searchbar, it's very usefull, but I must to change the focus (and move my eyes) when I want to search o calculate something.

I also use TypeAndrun, with the same place,witdh, heigh, font and colour of TC command line. Only border has diferent colour. Its usefull, but I miss interaction with TC (path, selectes files, etc).

I don't talk about reinvent de wheel, I'm talking about cooperatating programs and automatize tasks.

Then, my question. Is it very hard implement a plugin ability to TC command line?
It would be simply, string from command line to plugin and answer string from plugin to commandline. Plus a plugin capable of execute scripting files (TC commands).

The scripting ability allows to execute TC internal commands without user dialog or execute command with a no default configuration.

The diference with batch files and other commandline tools are:

First, ability to exectute cmd*** commands
Second, avoid the DOS boxes, it's transparent to the user.
Third, use the TC command line as output, fast reading
Others?
Jonas

Post by *Jonas »

Unjoanqualsevol wrote:The diference with batch files and other commandline tools are:

First, ability to exectute cm_* commands
Others?
Yes: use TC's plugins for packed files and filesystems
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

Is it very hard implement a plugin ability to TC command line?
The short answer - yes, it is very hard. But first question for me - is it give the significant result? :wink:
The diference with batch files and other commandline tools are:

First, ability to exectute cmd*** commands
Others?

Well. :)
First - it is no problem to create standalone command-line tool for executing cm_* commands.
Second - you can run DOS box invisible.
Third - may be, but what exactly commands you want to see output from? Can you give command list for script language?
henrich.fukna

Post by *henrich.fukna »

MS includes to the Windows Windows Scripting Host http://msdn.microsoft.com/scripting
;-)

Henrich
Unjoanqualsevol

Well.
First - it is no problem to create standalone command-line tool for executing cm_* commands.
Second - you can run DOS box invisible.
Third - may be, but what exactly commands you want to see output from? Can you give command list for script language?
Good. :-)
First - Ok. Now I'm dreamming for this tool. With it and bath files I would be happy. :-)
Second - Sorry, I'm not advanced user, you want to say invisible or minimized.
Third. Well, not exactly , but some examples, usefull for me, others users can have in mind others, but it's a plugin, so diferent users would have diferent commands.
  • size *.dat could return de size, in bytes, of the *.dat files in current path, but without select them or lost current selection!.

size name_of_folder, the same.

Of course, The Calculator :-D

time could return the current time

search name_of_file could return the path where this files is, if it's only on file in the disk, of course.

Any command with boolean action. Can return True o False, Yes or Not, etc.
    Simple conversion utilities (taxe rates, hexadecimal conversion, etc.)
    Simple intput-output program. Like
Sorry for scripting language. I'm thinking basically in cm_* commands, if, then, else, for, while and send "mouse or keys" movements. I'm not advanced user.

Finally I think it's important improve de TC command line. May be these plugins isn't the best way, but something is better than nothing.

Does everybody like current command line?
Or someone want expand its abilities?
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Unjoanqualsevol
Finally I think it's important improve de TC command line.
I agree. It should be extended. From my point of view the main disadvantage is the missing path completion. I prefer a path completion similar to the one used in Windows XP run in start menu.
djk
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *djk »

Lefteous wrote:2Unjoanqualsevol
From my point of view the main disadvantage is the missing path completion. I prefer a path completion similar to the one used in Windows XP run in start menu.
True... true... :-)
DJK
Totally addicted to Total Commander
totalcmd.pl
en.totalcmd.pl
VadiMGP
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *VadiMGP »

2Unjoanqualsevol
I'm not advanced user, you want to say invisible or minimized.
Sorry, i have to be more accurate: Yes, i mean "invisible", if you are programmer.

Anyway, it seems you need much more powerful tool then plugin! :D You want to integrate in single plugin:
a) internal commands handling;
b) external programs launching;
c) output redirection;
d) currency & measure convertion;
e) calculator;
f) mouse and keyboard simulation
g) etc. :)
May be some 3rd party tool like Windows PowerPro can help you?
Finally I think it's important improve de TC command line. May be these plugins isn't the best way, but something is better than nothing.
I'm quite sure - no one have objection. The only question is "price" for this "something". :wink:
Black Dog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Black Dog »

[face=courier]On 07-11-2003 13:55:13 +0000 Unjoanqualsevol wrote:

U> I also use TypeAndrun, with the same place,witdh, heigh,
U> font and colour of TC command line. Only border has diferent
U> colour.

Well, TAR can do anything you asked in your first post and even more, though it is not TC plugin.

U> Its useful, but I miss interaction with TC (path, selectes
U> files, etc).

Usefull?! >8[~~~] It is brilliance!!! And you can configure TAR to use Commander as file manager to open paths.[/face]
Raymond

Post by *Raymond »

Does anyone here use MCL? It's smaller than TypeAndRun and powerful.
Unjoanqualsevol

2VadiMGP
May be some 3rd party tool like Windows PowerPro can help you?
It's really powerfull!!! :shock: Thanks.

2Black Dog
Usefull?! >8[~~~] It is brilliance!!! And you can configure TAR to use Commander as file manager to open paths.
Yes, I know, and currently I have it. But currently I can't configure Totalcommander to use TAR as shell to execute commands, I think it. :wink:

2Raymond
Does anyone here use MCL? It's smaller than TypeAndRun and powerful.

Thanks. I look it.
Sir_SiLvA
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sir_SiLvA »

Unjoanqualsevol wrote:2Norfie
2Unjoanqualsevol
Sorry, but I think that are not tasks for a file manager. You can solve your tasks with OS-tools today.
Ok, but TC is more than a filemanager. Why lister plugins in a file manager? Actually Imageviewers are powefull and cheaper (or free).
And also fileedit tools.

I'm thinking only in plugin implementation. TC only pass an invalid command line string to a plugin and put the answer in the command line. I think it isn't very hard to implement and make TC most powerfull. If it's possible, of course. :wink:
Use "calc.exe" and clipboard.
Yes, I know. :) but may be it would be fast and easy with a command line plugin :wink:
U really ask why a FileManager has FileLister-PlugIns??? what r u doing with prg - playin ? :-)
Hoecker sie sind raus!