Overlapping shortcuts.

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Overlapping shortcuts.

Post by *fenix_productions »

Steps to reproduce:
1. go to Configuration -> Misc
2. assign any command to Ctrl+Alt+F12
3. Apply -> OK
4. click on Start menu -> Change Start menu
5. add any application and choose Ctrl+Alt+F12 shortcut,
6. click on OK
7. when inside of main TC window hit Ctrl+Alt+F12 combo.

Application set in "Change start menu" dialogue will be loaded. Even if we assign shortcut to Start menu first, its item will be loaded. Priority is not a problem here but the fact that there is no indication that any combination is already used!

It's not a problem for the user when he wants to edit Start menu item shortcut because that one takes precedence but he should be informed about occupied combinations on Misc page. Shortcuts he can choose there will not simply work for him.

The best way to do it would be to show cm_UserMenuX in Command field with additional phrase like cm_UserMenuX (Start menu).
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Indeed there is a hotkey priority:
1. Hotkeys defined in Windows, e.g. on the desktop
2. "Change start menu" hotkeys
3. Configuration - Options - Misc hotkeys
4. TC internal (pre-defined) hotkeys

I'm sorry but it's currently not possible to list these all together.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2ghisler(Author)
I understand your opinion but I wonder how hard would it be to check for shortcuts defined in [user] section (and to show proper info in "Misc") or not to show occupied ones in "Shortcut key" part of "Change Start menu" dialogue. After all it is two lists comparison only.

Whole "issue" is not about doing anything with priorities but to simply indicate current state to user. Either by additional info or by automated creation of corresponding settings (i.e. if user specifies shortcut for cm_UserMenu1 on Misc -> assign it in [user] section too).
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...