BranchView and go to file dir

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

BranchView and go to file dir

Post by *fenix_productions »

Small suggestion from my side this time :)

When we switch to branch view (Ctrl+B) the only way to get to focused file's directory is to press Ctrl+B again.

I think it would be nice to add cm_GoToFileDir command for making it possible to assign to any shortcut.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Yes/No, While I agree this would be a useful command - You can do CTRL+Right (or Left depending on what pane you are in) to send that directory to the other pane.

I would add, something like OpenFileDirInNewTab would be of more use to myself, since the CTRL+LEFT/RIGHT works in BranchView and also when in regular file view to send the Folder the cursor is on to the other pane.

Whereas a command with that functionality to open into a new Tab would be useful perhaps.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

2Balderstrom
I know about Ctrl+Arrows but I think that this is less comfortable than direct jump without changing the panel would be.

Example:

I am browsing through directories and I land into one of them knowing, that wanted file is within one of the children. From now I can either use "Find files" (Alt+F7) feature or switch to branch view and get QuickSearch filtering working for me.

In both cases the result migh be the same: I have a list of files which contains the one I am looking for for sure.

I know that if I am looking for this file only, I can stop here and just hit F5 (or drag'n'drop it) but sometimes I need to go to file's directory.

Let's assume I am in right panel and I want to see mentioned directory here.

I have few choices:
1. branch view and find result - arrows to focus, Ctrl+Left, Tab, Ctrl+Right, Tab,
2. branch view - arrows to focus, Ctrl+B,
3. branch and find result - some tabs magic.

While #1 and #3 are OK iI feel that #2 has the best "action flow" for me but there is one glitch: after typing some letter in QuickSearch box I need to move my right hand to arrows and it is hard to me to hit Ctrl+B with left hand then.

Well, maybe you've got more elastic pinky or right hand big enough to cover arrows without moving ;) but for me this is harder to achieve. That is why I thought about additional command.

P.S. I know I have two Ctrl keys here and I don't know why I am always using the left one without realizing it before press.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Apparently, CTRL+UP does what I was saying anyways heh. If in SubDirBranch View, CTRL+UP opens a new TAB of the directory (of the file) the cursor is on.
If there was only a way for the new TAB to be active without having to CTRL+TAB to it, would be almost perfect.,... And lo and behold I go to Config:Folder Tabs, and there is an option:
[x] Ctrl+Up, open new tabs in foreground.

[Addenum]

Of course, what would be even better is:
When opening a new TAB with CTRL+UP, with the cursor on a File (in DirBranch View) then the cursor would be placed on that File in the New TAB, instead of on [..]

[/Addenum]
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

2Balderstrom
I know about this option already. Maybe my setup is to rare but I have never used this option. It annoyed me in web browsers in the past and I don't want to make TC behave the same which means I would need to create AHK script to toggle it without going to Configuration window but this is still few more keys to press.

Although you gave me an idea to assign cm_OpenNewTabBg and
cm_OpenNewTab to different shortcuts.

Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

I agree with you, was just exploring other options :-)

<OT Rant>
I don't really use the 2pane interface how it was likely meant. I don't use any of the "right/left" commands, and dislike that internal (un)pack can't function in the directory/pane you are already in without copying the pane to the other side. ((apparently path can be left blank in the Unpack dialog...DOH))

The whole idea & usage of Source/Left/Right commands could be completely disposed of if internal HotKeys|ButtonBar actions could be allowed an optional "Focus_(left|right)" before issuing an actual command. And the program would be better off for it too, as there are numerous commands that do not have a "Source/Left/Right" counterpart.
</OT Rant>

Now what you could do, with an AHK hotkey assignment, is assign a Key to CTRL+UP & CTRL+W - so long as the tab you are in is not Locked, and you keep CTRL+UP as opening in Bg, and [x] open new tabs near current tab --(thats a lot of ands...) it will do what you want. If the tab is locked then not so much.
Last edited by Balderstrom on 2009-07-23, 18:26 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

<OT>
Balderstrom wrote:I don't like that internal (un)pack can't function in the directory/pane you are already in without copying the pane to the other side (a user option for this would be insignificant to add).
I don't understand this rant :)

If you want to unpack an archive into the same panel just clear out path field after pressing Alt+F9. You can also type .. in while browsing inside archive (after F5).
</OT>

Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

*chuckle* How can you not understand it?

If I used TC's internal unpack everytime I wanted to unpack into the Archives current folder I would need to do:
1) Copy Directory Source to Clipboard (1-2 clicks)
2) Unpack (1-2 clicks)
3) checkmark [x] unpack each archive to separate subdir
(since that option doesn't save)
4) Paste the directory from the Clipboard into the unpack dialog. (1-2 clicks)
5) Click OK, or press Enter (1 click)

That is minimal 5 steps, up to 8 clicks/keypresses and/or searching menu's for commands.

[Edit, cleared OT Rant, apparently path in Unpack can be deleted blank...]
Last edited by Balderstrom on 2009-07-23, 18:24 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

2Balderstrom
I am not requesting new command because it is too hard for me to use existing features but because I'd like to have them little more customizable.

I think that for time being I will just assign cm_DirBranch to other shortcut (I've wanted to avoid this due the possibility of accidental switch).

P.S. For your archives: Alt+F9, Del, Alt+S, Enter is better (4 steps) ;)
Last edited by fenix_productions on 2009-07-23, 18:31 UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Heh. I never would of thought to delete & leave the path blank...Too much like a NULL which are horrible things in C :-)

*sweeps up some of the mess*