Content changes for the TC help

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

I just read the Help and gathered strange text in it:
Its time to remove the entries about dos and Win 3.1.

Strange content:
What is Total Commander?
[only ger:] - ähnlich wie der Windows-eigene Dateimanager WINFILE.EXE (explorer)
- Supports Drag & Drop with the mouse, including to the print manager. (remove)
- Extended copying, moving, renaming and deleting of entire trees (Enables deleting "full" directories). (what a feature)
- to place your frequently used DOS or Windows programs (remove)
- using either the ASCII- (DOS) or the ANSI- (Windows) character set. (outdated - various character sets)
- The line width and font size can now be changed. - is it really the feature?
- Internal Unzip by Info-Zip, which allows unzipping without calling an external program! The source code in Turbo-Pascal is free and can be obtained directly from the author. (wow)
- Multirename / Sync Tool / Compare files / customize it by plugins should be added. (Perhaps remove some outdated and join the zip entrys.)

What's new in this version?
- perhaps shorten it to 6.0
- add notice about history.txt

How to register
- Please do NOT call me at home! - hope this is no problem anymore

Updates&Support
- Updates to Total Commander 7.x from a previous version - move this section down and call it update from Commander 2.x or 1.x
- Updates from Commander 3.x/4.x/5.x/6.x to later versions - name it "Update Total Commander from a previous version"
- For GPFs: The error address, and if possible a drwatson.log produced by drwatson.exe (Windows 3.1) or the contents of the error box displayed by Windows 95/98. - remove

- Unfortunately we cannot offer any support for non-functioning parallel port connections. - remove
- Please do NOT call me at home! - remove

Software Licence / Copyright
- Especially new operating systems like Windows NT or OS/2 can cause trouble - remove

Frequently asked questions (FAQ) - should be moved to general information.

Remove or move the following entries far down its no fun to read about dos in the second entry.
- Why does it take so long to launch the 32-bit version on my 486?
- If I run a DOS program or a DOS command from Total Commander's command line, I always land in c:\ (or another fixed directory) instead of the current directory!
- From time to time we have a "General protection fault" in Total Commander. The screen looks funny, the mouse cursor freezes, etc. What can we do?
- When I delete some files, Windows 95/98 completely freezes!
- Total Commander cannot access files containing certain characters like ALT+255. What can I do?
- Can Total Commander use the 'Quick View' file viewers in Windows 95/98?
- There is no longer a PIF editor in Windows 95/98. How can I change the settings of my DOS programs?
- When I try to install a newer version of Total Commander, I get an error that the configuration file isn't found. How do I install the update?
- When I run Total Commander I get a message that the file ctl3dv2.dll isn't installed correctly, but it's there in Total Commander's directory!
Command line parameters
This allows you to create multiple icons for Total Commander in progman or the start menu - on the desktop

I didnt look over Operation so far.

Other things:
- the menu bar image (TOTLMAIN.gif), the file window image (FILELIST.gif), the Tabheader image (SORTING.gif) should also be reworked. (Good job on the drive bar image, etc.)
- perhaps just rework all (but the above are the most stunning ;-) )
- there are many styles in the help. I would suggest to just use: Normal Text, one or two headers, links, red text as marked text - each html seems to have its own style.
Last edited by Samuel on 2009-08-14, 00:08 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2ghisler(Author)
Maybe it's time to check help file for new keyword? Some features are old enough.

Few other things:
add_drive.htm wrote:In Windows 95/98 or NT 4.0 you can right click on the drive to get a context menu,
which allows you to format or copy disks, share the whole disk over a network, show the context menu, etc.
Is it really needed to point out for which Windows versions it works? 3.11 is no longer supported.
add_drive.htm, add_drivebuttons.htm wrote:If you have multiple removable disk drives or CD-ROM drives, you can give them individual names, by modifying the file wincmd.ini in the Windows directory.
Windows directory is not always valid case.
add_drivebuttons.htm wrote:New: you can now show a separate drive button bar for each file window.
Not new anymore ;)
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod]Thread split from New HTML Help files - suggestions here please!

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.