zipx

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Zweibein

zipx

Post by *Zweibein »

There is a new packing algorithm in WinZip that creates *.zipx files. It would be great if TC could handle these files.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2Zweibein
I've created couple of ZIPX files and unpacked them with TC without any problems.

Can you post sample archive which cannot be unpacked? I've failed at creating those.

As for packing support: I am against.

ZIPX is not popular at all. If we'd like to go to more formats handling I would rather see internal 7zip support instead.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Zweibein

You are right

Post by *Zweibein »

I tested it and found that it worked.

Two weeks ago I got a bigger zipx-file ( 2 word files ) that was 256-bit AES encrypted. When I tried to open it I got the message "packing method not supported" (something like that in German).

So I assumed that there was a problem with zipx. I tried now with two small files and it worked, also encrypted, may be the archive was damaged (but I decrypted it later with winzip).

I tried the bigger zipx again (5min ago) still does not work.

thanks, bye
Zweibein
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC supports some of the new zipx compressions, but not all. The following two are not supported:
1. wav file compression: Very complex, sample code difficult to understand, not clear how it's used in Winzip.
2. jpg file compression: Only some vague description available, no sample code to uncompress.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Just do not use zipx) there are a lot of popular formats with very good compression ratio and encryption support. Use 7-Zip, it is great and free:)

As I see, general zipx seems to be just usual zip with LZMA support. TC supports this (even for packing, with compression level 10 and special INI parameter).
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

WinZip wrote a wav file compressor?

*chuckle* Pointless:
Guns N' Roses_1987_Appetite For Destruction_01_Welcome To The Jungle.wav 47,131 k
Guns N' Roses_1987_Appetite For Destruction_01_Welcome To The Jungle.wv 31,869 k
Guns N' Roses_1987_Appetite For Destruction_01_Welcome To The Jungle.zipx 31,219 k
open source WavPack does within 600KB of zipx, and is still a playable audio format.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Balderstrom,
WinZip wrote a wav file compressor?
AFAIK it is using the WavPack algorithm.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.