checkboxes

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

margolis22

checkboxes

Post by *margolis22 »

It would be nice to select files, goto another folder select additional files while the previous files are still selected and so on. Now that the files I want are selected, it would be nice to able to perform an action ( delete, move, copy, multi-rename, attributes, etc) on the selected files.

Yes I can run a branch view from the root of the drive on the selected extensions or I can run Find Find on the extensions also, but this just makes things easier.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I think it will cunfuse user. Why don't you just select files, delete/move them, change folder and select/delete/move new files?
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

It would definitely confuse the users. It is hard for many people to remember something they cannot see. Additionally, in the case you want to remove some selection, you would need to go whole the way back to do so. Not comfortable IMHO.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

Agreed, not a good idea, especially for those of us with shorter memories. ;)
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

How do I un-overwrite all my data?

User of Total Commander
#60471 Single user license
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

There was another suggestion about DeletionQueue's --
I believe a number of things could be resolved (or options enabled) by allowing action-agnostic queues.
I.E. Select files, "Send Selected Files to Queue"
The Queue doesn't start doing anything immediately, it will wait for you to choose which action should be applied to the files. As well another idea was to allow files to be sent to existing queues, and to be presented an option (popup List of queues) to choose which one to send to.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

You could also force tabs to be opened with the directories of the files chosen for a quick review before taking any action. But it still would be kind of dangerous, I think.

User of Total Commander
margolis22

Post by *margolis22 »

The purpose of the checkboxes is to allow the freedom the select files in multiple folders which reduces the chance of forgetting what was needed originally.

Example. I have lots of photos ( like a lot of people ) and when my wife wants me to burn a cd for her, I currently select the files and then copy those files to a temp folder. I proceed to the next folder and repeat the process. It would be nice to just select the files in the various folders then I could perform an action ( such as using the dvd burning plugin ).

I also like to go into various folder to find old data that is no longer needed. Currently I go folder to folder and delete as I go but being to select the files, then run a branch view on the selected files only, I could verify what I have selected before I delete, copy, move, rename, burn them.

Having to copy the files to a temp folder is a bandaid. Furthermore, having such an option may not appeal to everyone but for those who it might appeal to could use it and the rest can either ignore the feature or possibly turn if off ( if there was a switch to do so ).
Boofo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Boofo »

I understand your reason for wanting it and I think it could be useful, in some cases. But I also think it could be dangerous in other cases (move and delete). Unless there are a lot of users wanting something like this, I don't see it being added, to be totally honest with you.

User of Total Commander
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

@ margolis22

So long as all the files are in subdirectories of one main folder:
1) Create a custom column, that includes [=tc.path]
2) BranchView to start with.
3) Sort by Path.
4) Ctrl+Click on any other TabStop to sort by more fields.
5) Select files you want.
6) cm_ShowOnlySelected
7) Decide what to do with your files.

Deletions need to be the final step, the "Show only Selected" will clear once a delete is done, even if you uncheck the Config/Refresh options.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Also here will be useful some temp-panel plugin (i.e. you add filenames from some folders into and have all it in one place). There are some plugins like 'Temporary Panel'.

BTW, may someone tell where the most recently version of such plugin may be found?
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

MVV wrote:BTW, may someone tell where the most recently version of such plugin may be found?
This looks like the youngest one:
http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/vfs.html

Forum thread:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=19076

Although it seems to be still "in learning stage".
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

The latest Temp Panel from 2005 appears to be on fileburst, unknown if it's any different than the 2003 original here, or here.

I've also seen File Redirector from 2004.

It would appear interest in the VirtualFolders dropped off (at least from the plugin writers end). Sources are available for FileRedirector, and Gorbush has what may be sources to all of his plugins, but its just one large zip with a lot of .pas files.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

fenix_productions wrote:This looks like the youngest one:
Thanks but it seems to have no compiled variant, only set of source texts in C++ Builder so it is not suitable for me (I don't like VCL objects).
Balderstrom wrote:The latest Temp Panel from 2005 appears to be on fileburst, unknown if it's any different than the 2003 original here, or here.

I've also seen File Redirector from 2004.
I tried TP and FR some years ago, some of them have bugs.
I get your Temp Panel from plugins.ghisler.com. Seems it is newer version. It supports custom column set. Also it uses FsGetLocalName function specially for temp-panel plugins (for comparison: press F3 and look on file path - in FR it will be like %TEMP%\_tc\file.txt but in TP it will show real filename - plugin don't copies file into temp folder). Strange that for properties and F3 plugin passes real file but for Enter it executes its temporary copy.
Also none of them doesn't support Ctrl+PgDn (or TC doesn't support it?)...
And sad that theese plugins don't support adding just links to directories (I like in NTFSLinks that it allow to setup dir depth for junctions creating).
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

MVV wrote:
fenix_productions wrote:This looks like the youngest one:
Thanks but it seems to have no compiled variant, only set of source texts in C++ Builder so it is not suitable for me (I don't like VCL objects).
Strange. There is a link called Compiled vfs.wfx at the top of the page which is working correctly for me.