(quick) synchronizing dates/times only

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

d

(quick) synchronizing dates/times only

Post by *d »

in synchronize directories tool,
if you check "by content" and "ignore" date you see what files should be overwrited, but there some identical files with different dates are left, they should not be overwritten, you should change dates of them only. i mean if you simply want to write changed files only to some archive (usb flash), and you want to have fully identical files, including dates identity. i often overwrite that files, but it is not well, because dates are not stored in file bodies but in fat table, and it is longer and it is hdd/flash drive resourse using.
why i need dates synchronized? because then i can quickly synchronize not by content but by dates and sizes only if i know that there are no files that are of same size but different by content.
d

Post by *d »

i think reading to compare contents is less resourse using than overwriting, and often comparing will stop on the half of file.
i have writen also here about that:
"Mr. Ghisler: A Feature Suggestion":
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=139061#139061
d

Post by *d »

and that what i suggested is very useful after you have synchronised with ftp after you synchronized with flash and you are again going to synchronize with flash drive. after ftp synchronizing some files have been changed their dates. but they are still equal to copies on flash.
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
d

Post by *d »

d>and that what i suggested is very useful after you have synchronised with ftp after you synchronized with flash and you are again going to synchronize with flash drive. after ftp synchronizing some files have been changed their dates. but they are still equal to copies on flash.

i have solved this with "ignore dates".
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

2d
Synchronizing date/time and/or attributes will be available using right-click context menu in SyncDirs (cm_FileSync) of TC 7.50 - you can take a first look at it in the current beta 3.
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »