Total Commander Today

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Phred

Total Commander Today

Post by *Phred »

I notice that Windows Commander – excuse me – Total Commander is still fairly XP oriented, with few obvious concessions to Windows 6 & 6.1/7.

Take ‘Document and Settings’ for instance, referred to during installation, rather than ‘Users’. If that folder is synonymous with ‘Users’ then what of ‘All Users’? ‘All Users’ certainly isn’t ‘Public’. I understand that there has to be a compromise as Windows evolves, but new users who will only use Vista or Windows 7 will be perplexed.

However, isn’t it time that TC showed its 21st Century character? I’m thinking, first, of its file-names.
They’re looking very old-fashioned; here:

CABRK.DLL
CGLPT9X.VXD
CGLPTNT.SYS
DEFAULT.BAR
default.br2
descript.ion
FRERES32.DLL
HISTORY.TXT
KEYBOARD.TXT
NO.BAR
REGISTER.RTF
SFXHEAD.SFX
SHARE_NT.EXE
SIZE!.TXT
TCMADMIN.EXE
TCMDLZMA.DLL
TCMDX64.EXE
TCUNINST.EXE
TCUNINST.WUL
TCUNZLIB.DLL
TOTALCMD.CHM
TOTALCMD.EXE
TOTALCMD.EXE.MANIFEST
TOTALCMD.HLP
TOTALCMD.INC
UNACEV2.DLL
UNRAR.DLL
WC32TO16.EXE
WCMICONS.DLL
WCMICONS.INC
WCMZIP32.DLL
WCUNINST.WUL
WINCMD.KEY

Isn’t it time that we had a set of files like this?

Cabrk.dll
Cglpt9x.vxd
Cglptnt.sys
Default.bar
Default.br2
Descript.ion
Freres32.dll
History.txt
Keyboard.txt
No.bar
Register.rtf
Sfxhead.sfx
Share_NT.exe
Size!.txt
TC Administration.exe
TC Dlzma.dll
TC Dx64.exe
TC Uninst.exe
TC Uninst.wul
TC Unzlib.dll
Total Commander.chm
Total Commander.exe
Total Commander.exe.manifest
Total Commander.hlp
Total Commander.inc
Unacev2.dll
Unrar.dll
TC32to16.exe
TC Icons.dll
TC Icons.inc
TC Zip32.dll
TC uninst.wul
Total Commander.key

A particular case in point is the registration key. Does a new purchaser understand what he has to do with something called WINCMD.KEY ? Not TCMD.KEY? Total Commander.key?

And finally, the installation folder: C:\totcmdr ?? A lower-case folder with an abbreviated name directly off the root?? In 2009??
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

2Phred
I see you are quite new on this forum. I would like to explain, that one of the key features of TC is an extraordinary compatibility uptodown and downtoup. What are you think? Why WCUNINST.WUL still exists in the directory? You can install any version over any without troubles, problems or so. You suggest to break this with long names. Long names is not the long cock, sorry. What is a really advantage of this? The second: TC is like a Swiss Knife. You can use it from usb-stick to repair the system and so on while long names can fail on the unstable system, filesystem can be corrupted. If the separate version for newbies with Win 7 would exist, then may be I could agree with you, but it is so many years. TC has only 1 version for all and please don`t suggest to break compatibility with win95,98,Me,NT4,2000,WinXP and what else...FIY TC is used under Wine (on Linux) by many users ;)
I hope I was clear and politely enought. :?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I don't see any reason to use Users and Public instead of Documents and Settings and All Users - Windows Vista/7 has junctions and symbolic links, so in Vista/7 there are no problems with this folders. When Windows 8 will come w/o compatibility junctions, so time will come.
Also if there any logical reason to rename files? How many times per day you enter TC dir and look on this files? I don't think that more than zero in average. So it is absolutely unimportant.
Phred

Yesterday

Post by *Phred »

I'm just speaking from a position of modernity.

I understand what you say about compatibility all the way back to Win95 - but not even Window maintains compatibility back as far as that.

It's just about 'smartening up' the prorgam for the new era. A marketing thing, PR as we say.

Why doesn't VW sell its old Beetle from the 1945 design era? Compare today's Beetle with the original. Worlds apart. The Minis. TC is a commercial product that has to attract new purchasers. Have you chaps, MVV and Postkutscher, bought new licences lately? If you gave up TC would that affect Christian's revenue?

Clean installs are always possible.

It's a style thing, fashion, marketing. It's not crucial. It's a freshening.
Herr Mann
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Herr Mann »

I think the shot Filenames and the uppercase is the smallest problem that we have.
That is totally unimportant! :roll: :roll:
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

There are a lot of horrible TC packs in the Internet which use some kind of "freshening" - when you install it, no one TC professional user won't say where it keeps one settings and where other ones. :)
Newbies never open TC folder, they will use link on the desktop=) if some changes needed, only in interface (cosmetic). But current TC view is fully satisfactory for me. And for many other TC users.
Last edited by MVV on 2009-08-28, 21:13 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Phred

Post by *Phred »

How do you feel about offering a new user the installation folder C:\totcmdr ?
Regards, PhredE
Licence holder since 1999
Awaiting a $D donors-token for the title-bar so we can display that we have donated further.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I have TC installed in D:\TOTALCMD (E:\TOTALCMD) depending on partitions purposes. It is suitable for me to have its folder in the root of drive, but I don't like names with large ammounts of dots, spaces and non-English characters.
Postkutscher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Postkutscher »

2Phred
do you know, what is "tote Hose" in german? Your "installation folder C:\totcmdr" sounds more like antimarketing, at list for german speaking lands ;)
Phred

Hey!

Post by *Phred »

The point I'm making is that TC's own installation routine offers as the default location C:\totcmdr . It must be so long ago that you did a clean install that you've forgotten. That really clashes with the modern installation paradigm.

Keep in mind, here, that if you're happy with TC as it is then you probably therefore exclude yourself from commenting. :wink:

I'm making this suggestion for the good of the product. For the benefit of the author, and for general good sense and organisation. Perhaps Christian's already been made a very rich man by TC but there's a lot of German-English people here on the forum. Where's the 300 million Indians who speak English? How many million Chinese who do the same? Russians? Hell, it needn't even be English.

Christian has done/is doing a brilliant technical job but if he had a Marketing Director I believe she'd whip the presentation of the whole product into a fresh new look. He deserves to benefit as much as he can from his work. Old age, these days, is a long time. :)

I'm just thinking that TC needs a bit of a polishing-up. Is all.

Oh, I forgot to mention the 'See what TC looks like' 35k graphic linked to on the home page..

And while I'm at it, I'd recommend the expiry of current licence keys and re-issue of new ones.
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

You might want to look at the [wish] Next Gen file manager - how it should look like? thread.

And I agree at least, it probably shouldn't default to C:\totalcmd for install.
The Default: %ProgramFiles%\TotalCmd and settings in %AppData%\TotalCmd

The Default if you choose "application data" as the settings location is "GHISLER".
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

Phred,
Well, there are at least a dozen threads where your suggestions have already been mentioned and discussed to death. Default installation folder. Polishing up. Default screenshot on the homepage. The only really new idea is the length of TC's filenames.
Hope you find your answers around the forum.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Herr Mann
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Herr Mann »

Hacker wrote:Phred,
Well, there are at least a dozen threads where your suggestions have already been mentioned and discussed to death. Default installation folder. Polishing up. Default screenshot on the homepage. The only really new idea is the length of TC's filenames.
Hope you find your answers around the forum.

Roman
It cannot harm, repeatedly point out.
Perhaps it help.
The Swiss are even somewhat comfortable, some even say slowly.
Always these stereotypes, terrible ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

@Christain: Please do not take it personally :wink:
Sam_Zen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sam_Zen »

TC today, is what TC should be tomorrow.