System Icons for Internal Associations / Edit Associations

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

GL1zdA

System Icons for Internal Associations / Edit Associations

Post by *GL1zdA »

I think it would be useful to add the option to display default system icons when using internal associations.

I'm using Notepad2 for quick viewing and editing of almost all text files. What I have to do now, is to associate each extension (and there are lots of them: .txt, .ini, .inf, .c, .cpp, .h, .xml, .xsl, .java, .sql etc..), then find the icon, which is a pain if I have to look for the in Visual Studio directories (or I will get the same icon for each file, which is bad). Since I'm switching all icons to the ones, that Windows normally uses, it would be good, to have just a checkbox like "use system icon". It would also make it easier, because I could save all text file extensions as a predefined selection type.

Also, would it be possible to change the associations for F4 (Edit)? Now I can define only one editor, but I would like to use one for text files, one for images, one for sound and one for videos.

TIA,
pg
Sombra
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sombra »

Hello,
I think it would be useful to add the option to display
default system icons when using internal associations.
Writing in the field "icon file" * or %1 can solve the issue.
Also, would it be possible to change the associations for F4 (Edit)?
Not with a built-in function, but with external tools like Open File shell for TC, Choice Editor, F4Menu, etc. You can find such tools in totalcmd.pl or totalcmd.net.

(Perhaps can help too the use of Associations for external viewer. ( configuration > options> Edit/View > [Associations...]

HTH
I can read English, but... I write like Tarzan. (sorry)
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Config: Edit/View | External Viewer (Associations)

Post by *Balderstrom »

Is there any way to have whichever F3 Key combination gets assigned for External Viewer to use defined "Internal Associations" (if they exist) without having to duplicate .ext "Associations" ?

Or are the solutions:
1) to duplicate them all again with"Associations" or
2) duplicate them all again with one of the F4 launchers
._ i.e. ChoiceEditor (20 kb), or openFileTC 1.1 (655 kb), openFileTC 1.8 (1503 kb), or
3) Write a .CMD or .AHK script to handle launching by extension?