don't record the intermediate directories into history

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

darylz

don't record the intermediate directories into history

Post by *darylz »

for example, my workshop has directory structure like this:

Code: Select all

a
|_b1
| |_c1
|
|_b2
| |_c2
|
I may travel between c1 and c1 frequently during working, (another window for something else...) and will never stop in directories b1, b2 or a. in this case, what I'm hoping is, don't record the intermediate directories like b1, b2 and a into the directory history list.

I think totalcmd can filter out them with a time threshold.

Is it possible?

Thanks,
Daryl
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I think it is not possible because each user has its own act speed.
I suggest you to use drive tree in order to jump between directories instead. So, your directory list will contain only used dirs.
darylz

Post by *darylz »

I don't think it's impossible.

First, though every user has different act speed, the time that the fastest user stays in a directory and do something will be much longer than that the slowest user just travel through a directory.

Second, we can also identify the "passing through" directories from the "working" directories by checking if other keys have been pressed over there. That is the identifier would be "Time + Operation".

Finally, actually, a configurable time threshold can be provided for user to tweak as per their own act speed.

Daryl
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

What if your intermediate directory have many files and folders and you lost some time (and press some keys) to find and enter its subdirectory? It is very hard to determine if opened folder will be needed by user or not (and a lot of different cases and exceptions should be checked here).

If you need to switch between two folders (or even more) often, just create two tabs with this folders, and use Ctrl[+Shift]+Tab (or your mouse) to switch tab. :wink:
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

Why not add them to the DirectoryHotlist then?
The ParentFolders wont be recorded in the History, as you went there directly, without clicking thru folders...
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

There has already been a suggestion to only include directories to the directory history where an operation has been performed.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.