Suggestions: [\] and [..] buttons and finding in the lister.

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

aRIEL242

Suggestions: [\] and [..] buttons and finding in the lister.

Post by *aRIEL242 »

Hi

1) The functionality of the [\] and [..] buttons on the drive bar can easily be replaced by the breadcrumb bar. This makes them a little redundant and it would be nice if they could optionally be removed from the drive bar. Give a little more space for the numerous drivers.

2) How about "Find as you type" in the lister?

tnx
Clo

Warm water…

Post by *Clo »

2aRIEL242

:) Hello !

• Please, post one topic per thread…

1. The warm water is already invented :
<wincmd.ini>
[Configuration]
DriveBarHide=String
¤ Allows to hide certain parts of the drives button bar :
A-Z=drives,
0-9=FTP connections,
\=Nethood,
. (dot) =parent+root dir,
(dash) =“Total and free space” and the volume label.
• About “2”, tell me how you type in Lister which is not an editor ???

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

aRIEL242, if you enable drive comboboxes, your buttons [..] and [\] will be moved from drive bars to that bars near free space info. So, you'll get more space for drive buttons.
But, as Clo said, you may hide unused drive buttons (i.e. I hide Alcohol virtual drives etc.). Hidden drives will be always available from drives combobox and via command X: in command line or via created buttons/links.
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

2aRIEL242
1) With long paths you can't see the root/first path parts in the breadcrumb bar anymore. As keyboard user I don't use buttons anyway, but mouse users might find it useful.
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
aRIEL242

Post by *aRIEL242 »

@Clo

• Sorry about the double topic-ing.
1. The warm water is already invented :
Great!
Thank you for pointing out that I need to search a little harder before I post. :oops:

• About “2”, tell me how you type in Lister which is not an editor ???
The "Find as you type" functionality (AKA Incremental find) can be implemented in the Lister just because its not an editor.

Any key stroke of a visible character will immediately start a search without the need to popup the find dialog.
  • 1) Lets say the letter 'k' is pressed.
    2) From the current position the first occurrence of the letter 'k' is selected.
    3) Then the letter 'e' is pressed.
    4) From the current position the first occurrence of the letters 'ke' is selected.
    5) The letter 'e' is pressed again.
    6) First occurrence of the letters 'kee' is selected.
    7) If the F3 key is pressed the next occurrence of the letters 'kee' are selected.
That's the basic idea. Once a search has started a non-modal bar appears that includes additional controls to customize the search like direction (up/down), case sensitivity, RegEx, and so on.

The only problem is that some of the Lister's HotKeys will have to be modified like:
  • File->Next file - from N to Ctrl+N
    File->Previous - from P to Shift+P
    Options->Hex - from 3 to Ctrl+3
And so on.

@MVV

I am aware of that option but I never liked the drive combobox. All that unused space to the right of the combobox. For now my drive list fills exactly one row of buttons and I prefer it.

@StatusQuo

You have a point there.
I'll use the DriveBarHide=. Clo suggested for a while and see who it goes.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

aRIEL242 wrote:I am aware of that option but I never liked the drive combobox. All that unused space to the right of the combobox. For now my drive list fills exactly one row of buttons and I prefer it.
But how did you disable bar with drive information (label, free kbytes)? When I disable drive combo-boxes, bar stays anyway (if I use two drive bars).
aRIEL242

Post by *aRIEL242 »

@MVV

I'm not sure I understand your question but until Clo told my about DriveBarHide I couldn't disable the label with the drive information.

Now I use DriveBarHide=.- to hide the two parent+root directory buttons and the volume label.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

aRIEL242 wrote:I'm not sure I understand your question but until Clo told my about DriveBarHide I couldn't disable the label with the driver information.

Now I use DriveBarHide=.- to hide the two parent+root directory buttons and the volume label.
Yes, I was talking about DriveBarHide=.-, I didn't know it.