Alf+F1 and Alf+F2 looks differently if combo is hidden

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Alf+F1 and Alf+F2 looks differently if combo is hidden

Post by *MVV »

Hide drive combobox (path bars must be enabled) and try to press Alt+F1 and Alt+F2. On Alf+F2 just drop-down list appears, but on Alt+F1 also buggy piece of combobox is visible above path bar.

Screenshot
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This has been reported before - unfortunately there is nothing I can do, it's a problem of the used Windows Combobox control, sorry.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Oh, I missed that it was reported, sorry.
Why right combo shows not like left? Maybe there is a mess with tab orders so left combo have higher Z-order than path bar while right one has lower Z-order than path bar? If so, it is quite easy to fix, or just to make it similar - to change tab order of controls. I think right one looks much better than left one.
ts4242
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ts4242 »

It is Z-Order issue, in the right panel press Ctrl+Up then close tabs, now when you press Alt+F2, you will not see the combo dropdown arrow.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Wow, really! So it is a bug 100% and it is easy to fix.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

So what do you suggest how to fix it?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Hm-m, I looked at windows order, its the same for both panels...

I noticed that if panel has no tabs, combobox is visible when its list opened, but if window have (or had) tabs, its combobox is invisible. So the question is why Z-order changes when tabs are created... Or even why initial Z-order is not the same as tab order.

Anyway drive combo should have smaller tab order than path bar (in DFM it should be placed above path bar) so it won't overlap path bar. I think it will fix trouble and regardless of tabs drive combos will not overlap path bars. In this case drive combos will have similar look with or without tabs, and in case when path bars disabled.