Copying to wrong folder if selection presents in a tree

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Copying to wrong folder if selection presents in a tree

Post by *MVV »

As I wrote before here:
MVV wrote:* if I select more than one folder in a tree, TC suggests to copy/move file into last selected - maybe it would be better to deselect previously selected items in this case or suggest to copy into top selected?
* if I select some folder in a tree and then change dir in normal panel, select a file and press F5/F6, TC suggests to copy file into its folder instead of selected one - TC should suggest to copy file into selected folder in a tree.

I will add some examples. Please create some folders for testing (I will use C:\test\1, C:\test\2 and C:\test\3). Open tree in left panel and normal folder in right one and open C:\test in a tree (right panel will show C:\test folder). Then do some tests (each test starts with specified start conditions):

1a. Select in a tree folder C:\test\3.
1b. Try to copy something from right panel to tree using F5. TC suggests to copy to C:\test\3.
1c. Now add folder C:\test\1 to selection in a tree.
1d. Repeat step 1b. TC suggests to copy to C:\test\1.
1e. Now add folder C:\test\2 to selection in a tree.
1f. Repeat step 1b. TC suggests to copy to C:\test\2.

So TC acts like there is no selection in a tree at all, just last focused item!

2a. Repeat steps 1a and 1b. Check that all works fine.
2b. Change dir in right panel from C:\test to any other (e.g. C:\).
2c. Repeat step 1b. TC suggests to copy to last changed folder instead of selected one in a tree (in my case to C:\ instead of selected C:\test\3)!

So TC ignores selected dirs in a tree when user tries to copy to tree using F5.

I think that TC should always suggest to copy files to first selected folder in a tree if there is a selection. This will always work for single selection and will be logical for multiple selection (e.g. if I have multiple files selected in a folder and press F3, TC opens first selected file regardless of selection order).

OR

If multiple selection is not supported by TC tree, TC should remove presious selection when user selects new folder (but keep it when user changes folder in another panel) - so it at least will not confuse user!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

TC suggests to copy to the folder which has the focus. This is by design.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

But we have no focus if cursor is in opposite panel. So it is a bad approach. So it is impossible now to select some folder in a tree and then some times change opposite folder and copy files to selected in a tree folder because it will always change focus.

Maybe you will remove selection if another item focused? This will not confuse user at least. But I think that if user selects some folder in a tree, he did it specially :) and expect that TC will take selection into account - if not, there is no reason to have selection in a tree at all. Also, if selected item changes when user changes opposite folder, F5 becomes absolutely useless - no one will copy files to themselves. :(
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I noticed (don't know why I hadn't seen it before) that TC shows focused path in status bar - so user sees the folder to copy/move files from another panel to. :) BTW if status bar is disabled, user can't see focused item's path - maybe path can be duplicated in path bar which is currently unused in tree mode?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

if status bar is disabled, user can't see focused item's path - maybe path can be duplicated in path bar which is currently unused in tree mode?
Support++
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar