Nasty connect message on Alt+Left

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Nasty connect message on Alt+Left

Post by *MVV »

If previous opened folder was FTP folder and its connection is closed now, when I press Alt+Left some times, TC shows request window asking for e-mail (anonymous login). Even if I press Cancel, TC asks e-mail again. When I press Cancel again, TC lefts in same folder.

Expected that TC will skip FTP folder and go to previous history folder if user cancels login after first Cancel pressing.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

How did you connect? Ctrl+N? Or a configured connection? TC 7.5 and newer remember the configured connection in the history, so you shouldn't get any password request if you configured a connection as anonymous, or stored the password (e.g. via password manager).

Currently it's not planned to skip any items in the history, sorry. Use Alt+Cursor down if you want to skip items.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I have this connection in Ctrl+D as secondary folder, anonymous connection that was saved like:

Code: Select all

ftp://anonymous:none@server/path
You're right, for connections from configured list TC doesn't ask for password.

Anyway it is very annoying to get multiple e-mail requests on background tab close or walking back using history.

I think it would be better if TC ask user 'Connection lost, recover it?' and if user chooses No TC leaves empty panel with FTP path (so F2 will allow to reconnect). So max one question by every folder, but not two like now (first one above file panel and second one above panel and connection dialog).

Also I think it would be useful to remember login/pass for history items...

Perhaps I should create this topic in suggestions forum...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Having the URL in Ctrl+D is like using Ctrl+N new connection. I recommend that you store the connection in the ftp connection list, and then use
FTPOPEN connection name
in the Ctrl+D menu to open it instead of using the URL directly.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Problem is that I don't need to establish this connection:) I think it would be better to work with closed connections like with encrypted RARs - to display pseudo-file and to reestablish connection on reread.
Having the URL in Ctrl+D is like using Ctrl+N new connection.
The problem is that I need to have separate connection for every working path on remove server. And, this way doesn't working for setting path for target panel...
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, I use the history a lot to reconnect to a specific FTP directory (because connecting via Ctrl+F brings me just to the default dir). Therefore I (and maybe others too) wouldn't be pleased if ftp connections would be removed from the history...
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I don't suggest to remove them at all, just not to autoreconnect on Alt+Left/Right until cm_RereadSource is called. So, TC may display virtual 'Press ... to reconnect' item. If user needs this connection he won't disconnect it anyway, but if he closes connection it seems that he doesn't need it again.

Maybe you can at least remove second ask for password if user cancels first one?
Last edited by MVV on 2010-06-18, 09:59 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

MVV,
Just BTW, cm_GotoPreviousLocalDir.

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Thanks, Hacker, I forgot about this command, now I've bound cm_GotoPreviousLocalDir to Alt+Left and left chance to use cm_GotoPreviousDir on Alt+Shift+Left, its much better. :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah, I forgot about that too... :shock: