Beta of LAN plugin with streaming support

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beta of LAN plugin with streaming support

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The first beta of the LAN plugin with streaming support is available now! To install it, do the following:
1. Start Total Commander 2 beta
2. Go to the home folder
3. Tap on the line with the "+" icon (Add plugins)
4. Confirm the dialog to go online
5. At the bottom of the page, tap on "beta plugins"
6. Tap on the plugin to download
7. After the download, tap on the download notification to install the plugin.

To stream a media file, just tap on it in the file list! You will get a context menu with various options.

The media player will not only show the play progress, but also the amount of pre-buffered data.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
CITYGUY

Post by *CITYGUY »

Thanks for making this! I tried it. I had to instal the new TC beta anyway because of the date format Android issue in English and definitely had to get the LAN plugin because I always need it.
But seems that I have another problem now... When I am browsing/exploring files and folders in the LAN it goes smooth and quick and all OK.
BUT Only when I tried copying (to clipboard) a file from my phone and then pasting it into the LAN folder it just didn't work. I have a dialog appear with scales and nothing moves and happens after. The cancel button on the dialog doesn't work and I can't close it. I have to kill the app and restart.
Then I uninstalled both the plugin and TC. Installed everything after restart back in order and same thing happened. I tried many times through the past days. Even remapped the LAN folders and drives and no success. So finally I uninstalled both again and went back to the official TC and plugin versions.
Still using them.
Waiting for a fix, cause the official TC doesn't have the solution for the date and time format. I need that and hope to get it working.
Keep up the great work, Ghisler! There is no better in the branch! :D

EDIT: Using HTC One X, if this is important
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce it. Both copying via clipboard and also via copy button to the LAN work just fine!

Please try the following:
1. Try to upload some files via copy button instead of copy+paste.

2. Could you reinstall the older plugin (the non-beta one, via "+" button) and try with that? I'm not aware of any changes which would be causing it.
CITYGUY

Post by *CITYGUY »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Unfortunately I cannot reproduce it. Both copying via clipboard and also via copy button to the LAN work just fine!

Please try the following:
1. Try to upload some files via copy button instead of copy+paste.

2. Could you reinstall the older plugin (the non-beta one, via "+" button) and try with that? I'm not aware of any changes which would be causing it.
I tried it. It didn't work. In fact I noticed that some times I can not do copy+paste even on files on my sd card.
I can not check "root functions everywhere" in the settings with the new version. It tells me "you do not have root access on this device". With the old version it was possible and OK. Can it be affiliated with root permissions. I am sorry if this is nonsense, but I am very new with Android.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sounds like you are logged it via Guest account and don't have any write rights. But you should still get a write error after a while.

No, it has nothing to do with Android root permissions, this only affects the local computer. Or did you try to upload a file from a locked folder like /data ? This doesn't work because the LAN plugin isn't root-enabled, only the main program.
CITYGUY

Post by *CITYGUY »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Sounds like you are logged it via Guest account and don't have any write rights. But you should still get a write error after a while.

No, it has nothing to do with Android root permissions, this only affects the local computer. Or did you try to upload a file from a locked folder like /data ? This doesn't work because the LAN plugin isn't root-enabled, only the main program.
Thanks for the help! How do I root-enable the Lan plugin? I just installed back the beta version and I am willing to try. I hope this would work, but I cant find an option in setting for that...
Thanks again!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

You cannot root-enable it. I would have to add the root functions to the plugin too, which isn't currently planned, because it would still not allow direct transfers from the LAN to protected areas.
CITYGUY

Post by *CITYGUY »

ghisler(Author) wrote:You cannot root-enable it. I would have to add the root functions to the plugin too, which isn't currently planned, because it would still not allow direct transfers from the LAN to protected areas.
After i saw your previous comment I played around with the button "remount as read/write" while i was in these folders into/out of which I couldn't copy and paste.
So it started to work. But not every time. Usually when copy-paste wasnt working I would press the button a coupe of times and it would work.
But then I can not be doing it every time and expect it to change behavior each time.
With the old TC and plugin it never fails. So again I went back to them. Will be waiting for improvements. Which I am sure will come, as usual with this product :-)