Warning: Service terminated by system

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

okoetter

Warning: Service terminated by system

Post by *okoetter »

Hi,

brand new Galaxy S3 and I have a problem I did not have on my old HTC Desire:
Although TC is not active I regularly get the notification saying "Total Commander: Warning: Service terminated by system".

Any idea how I could get rid of that message?

Kind regards,
Oliver
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This error is shown only in case of abnormal termination of the TC service - the service is used for file transfers in the background, e.g. when you copy something and a phone call comes in. It should actually never happen because the service is started with maximum importance. It means that you are starting a program which needs a lot of memory (RAM) and kicks TC out of the memory.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
okoetter

Post by *okoetter »

This happens everytime I used TC after some minutes. I guess the SGS3 should have a lot more RAM than my old Desire....
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well, it's the Galaxy S III again causing troubles - I don't know what Samsung did, but this phone behaves completely differently from any other Android devices...
szafran

Post by *szafran »

Hi,

I can't agree with you guys.
I have the same warning on my 3 phones:
Samsung Galaxy S3 - rooted with stock ROM
HTC Sensation - rooted with stock ROM
Samsung Galaxy Gio - rooted with a lot of different ROMs ;)

So with my experience it's TC and not S3 to blame for this warning.
Best regards
Szafran
okoetter

Post by *okoetter »

Well, after having the problem for a few days, they disappeared after posting this thread and luckily the problem did not happen again until now...
szafran

Post by *szafran »

I'm having this problem ever since TC wen't on GPlay. Never had it while TC was in beta stage.

Anyways... On every phone everytime when i exit TC using the back button on my phone (or even from menu), after a few minutes the warning comes up.
It may be helpfull - On all 3 phones I have Android >4.0
Best regards
Szafran
wolf2063

Post by *wolf2063 »

I have the same problem after upgrading my SG2 from GB to ICS.

It is really annoying seeing this icon in the top-bar :(

It doesnt matter if i leave TC via the back-button or closing TC via the exit-sk...
Tommyhome

Post by *Tommyhome »

I get the termination message for the LAN plugin if I let it copy in the background, it don't take much time before it pops up, and stops the copy process. (I use the Google Play version of TC)

If i let TC run and have it as the active app it will copy the same files for hours without problem.

My device is a HTC ONE X, European version, updated to latest software over OTA.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This should be much better with the beta of Total Commander 2 for Android. Sorry, it's not on Google Play yet - we now have more than 1 million downloads, and I want to ensure that it is 100% stable before I push it to that many users...
Calain

Post by *Calain »

Today I had the same problem for the 1st time. I was moving huge files (several 100 mb per file) while still having a huge memory needing program in the background. So it could be ok, that android stopped the service.
But after that every time I did close the program and ended it in the active programs list of ics I got the error message again. Even if I closed the program with a long press on back or with exit in the menu.
As the error message is also shown as a service and not as a normal message (in the upper part of the notification, which can not be deleted). There was no way off removing that message beside starting tc again and then I got the message again if I closed Tc again.
The actual transfer was finished in the meantime.
So it seems, that tc does not remember, that a stopped service is no problem any more.

Maybe this detailed information helps fixing the problem.

My current phone is the S3 with android 4.0.4. Rooted stock Rom.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Which version of Total Commander did you use?

Btw, it's impossible to keep Android from closing programs, it's only possible to make it less likely by giving the service a higher priority (which TC is already doing).
Calain

Post by *Calain »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Which version of Total Commander did you use?

Btw, it's impossible to keep Android from closing programs, it's only possible to make it less likely by giving the service a higher priority (which TC is already doing).
I also don't think that closing tc was the problem, but that tc never forgot, that it was forced to close during a copy / move operation and always brought up the error message again even after I completed the action with an new command to move the files and closed tc with it's build in options for it.

I was still using the current release from the Android market. (v 1.03) I updated to the 2.0 beta 3 yesterday, but I did not try the reproduce the problem with the new beta, yet. Should I try if that problem can still occur in the 2.0 beta?

p.s. I'm from Germany, so if it would be more helpful for you I could try to describe the problem and how to produce it in German. (Thought it might be useful for other people if they could read it in English.)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

TC 2.0 beta should already be much more stable with background operations, and also be able to "forget" background errors.