Music player keeps stopping

Support for Android version of Total Commander

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

JJMC

Music player keeps stopping

Post by *JJMC »

Hi,
The music player always stops after a few songs when the device becomes idle. This makes it impossible to play a few tracks from a playlist after each other without user interaction.
The internet is full with threads about this problem, seems to happen with every player and every android version.
I have tried some 'solutions' like an app that disables the lockscreen but the problem persists. I don't have any auto apps killers or the like.
I am hoping I might find a solution here. Why in heavens name is it impossible to play a few tracks in succession? This defeats the purpose of having a music player on your device.

Ps. I'm mostly playing music from my lan but it also happens with local stuff.

I'll buy 2 beers for the person who has a working solution! Make that 3. No wait, I'll make you completely drunk if that's what it takes. :)

Edit: I found disabling the lockscreen helps. I have not yet tested this for too long but it is a beginning.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Android has so called "wake locks" which should prevent this. My guess is that the player control only holds this "CPU wake lock" only while a song is playing, but not between two songs, so Android may be going to sleep in this gap.

I could try to hold the wake lock myself while the player is playing. Since you are able to reproduce this problem, would you be interested in a test version where I add this? Unfortunately there is no guarantee that this will work, but it's worth a try. Currently I'm using a wake lock when copying in the background.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JJMC

Post by *JJMC »

I would certainly want to test it!
My mail is jc atsymbol jcremers.com
Do you like beer? :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

OK, I will contact you when I have something ready.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
JJMC

Post by *JJMC »

My first findings with beta 3 for the wake locks:

I tried it out immediately. Started a large playlist with songs hosted on the lan. Screen delay is 1 minute. So quickly the screen turned off, then at the end of that song (5 minutes) playback stopped. I turned up the volume some, the screen came on and a message saying 'Media player playback error'.

The player seemed to skip through a few songs then started playing again, it skipped some 30 tracks. I put down the phone, the screen went off again, music still playing.

After some 25 minutes and 8 tracks I didn't hear anything anymore so I picked up the phone, then it started playing again, I don't know if this was because I picked it up or maybe I was just too impatient.

Then I put the phone down and didn't touch it for an hour, music kept playing. Then I had to check something, turned on the screen, put it back, and after 2 minutes or so, screen was already off, playback stopped again. I turned the screen back on and was greeted again by 'media playback error', but the music started playing again right away.

Put it in a corner and let it play for about an hour, then it stopped. Turned on the screen and after a little while got playback media error again.

So it seems a part is working ok! I never could play so long before. Just guessing but those glitches look like network things so maybe the wifi lock is responsible for that.

I will do some more tests tomorrow.

Update: Just tried with local data, music player kept on playing for 2 hours unitll I switched it off. Glad I can use my playlists now!