This forum uses cookies. Click X button to hide this message. What is stored? / Privacy
Total Commander Forum Index Total Commander
Forum - Public Discussion and Support

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Current state of 32 bit version

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> Total Commander Polls (English) Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which TC version do you use?
TC 32 bit (32 bit Windows version)
12%
 12%  [ 5 ]
TC 32 bit (64 bit Windows version)
45%
 45%  [ 18 ]
TC 64 bit (64 bit Windows version)
42%
 42%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 40
Total users voting: 29

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:51 am    Post subject: Current state of 32 bit version Reply with quote

A couple of days I read that the famous Linux distribution 'Ubuntu' considers to no longer offer a 32 bit version as the number of users seems to be really small by now. I wonder what the current state among TC users is.

Please don't consider testing activities during beta test or plugin development - just real use.

You may check more than one answer.
Damel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TC 32 bit (64 bit Windows version) for everyday use due to 32bit plugins.
TC 64 bit (64 bit Windows version) for comparing big files only.
3. install Windows (optionally)
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Linux is a completely different thing than Windows when it comes to x86 vs. AMD64. AMD64 has always been more smoothly, less problematic on Linux, in my experience anyway. So, if you're not just wondering how many users still use 32 bit TC, the thing is really simple: As long as Microsoft offers a 32 bit version of Windows, there must be a TC 32 bit. My guess is that it will take another 5 to 10 years to migrate to AMD64 completely.

I intend to switch to Win7 later this year, but I'm still going to use TC 32 bit, but also TC 64 bit. 32 bit for daily work and 64 bit for things like native stuff (e.g. Control Panel). And, yes, I'm missing some plugins in TC 64 bit, too. All of the customer's computers get TC 32 bit installed, regardless of the OS; sometimes there are exceptions where TC 64 bit is installed as well.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Athlon X4 880K, 16 GiB RAM, Gigabyte F2A88X-D3HP, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, folks.

The number of participants is still far from being a representative sample, I guess. Sad
Anyway. Clicked on
  • TC 32 bit (32 bit Windows version) (32-bit Linux Mint, even though it is not mentioned in the poll)
  • TC 64 bit (64 bit Windows version) (64-bit Linux Mint, even though it is not mentioned in the poll)
Cheers,
Karl
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use 32-bit TC just because there is no need in 64-bit version of file manager. I really have no problems with 32-bit TC in 64-bit Windows.
The only real system where 64-bit version is reguired is 64-bit Windows PE which doesn't offer 32-bit subsystem, but this system is for troubleshooting only.
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I always use 32-bit TC just because there is no need in 64-bit version of file manager. I really have no problems with 32-bit TC in 64-bit Windows.

Same for me.
#5767 Personal license
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, why does using a 64-bit file-manager on a 64-bit operating system need any kind of justification at all?
No-one questions that using 32-bit software on 32-bit operating systems makes more sense than clinging to 16-bit dinosaurs.
milo1012
Power Member
Power Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MVV wrote:
I always use 32-bit TC just because there is no need in 64-bit version of file manager...

If just for managing files: yes
But if using the typical TC stuff involving plug-ins: not necessarily

Main plug-ins requiring x64 for me: 7-Zip (7Zip Plugin 0.7.6.5a, I switched back from Total7zip for several reasons) and my own ZPAQ.
I sometimes want to create several archives in parallel using a large dictionary/block size and/or using more than one thread: almost impossible for TC 32-bit (and TC isn't flagged as Large Address Aware)

Some other plug-ins might be content plug-ins.
For my own plug-ins I use result caching. When doing it with large cache pools, TC 32-bit might quickly run out of large memory blocks, due to address space fragmentation.

And combining both things: I can easily crash TC by using: packing 7-Zip in background, doing some wdx plug-ins view with a large pool and using things like uLister for some office files on top of that (which also uses quite a share of memory for each Lister window) -> end of line for 32-bit TC.

So yes, there is need for TC x64, as I want to do more and more things in parallel, simply because it's possible due to Multi-Core CPUs and fast hard drives / SSDs. And I want to use those system resources without worrying about memory limits at all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Total Commander Forum Index -> Total Commander Polls (English) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: