TC and SQL

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

TC and SQL

Post by *pdavit »

Does anyone experiencing huge TC startup delays on systems running an SQL server? I have this WinXP Pro SP1 machine at work and it takes TC literally 47secs to start!!! Of course I'm also running Norton Antivirus but the latter does not affect my PC back home! CPU (P4 2.4GHz) and memory (512Mb) load is low. I'm running latest TC version.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Clo

No-problem---

Post by *Clo »

2pdavit
:) Hello Panos !
• We have a SQL-server installed by my son in a PC at home, but we didn't notice such a problem. TC starts normally (1" or so)
2*Athlon 2000+MP - 1.65 GHz - 1GB DD-Ram - AntiVir Guard running permanently - Win XP-Pro (none SP). Maybe the Ram amount does matter, though it doesn't seem at yours' ?

:mrgreen:  KR
claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2004-05-20, 19:42 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

Here what's running on the background if it helps:

http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/pdavit/runapps.gif
Last edited by pdavit on 2004-05-20, 15:02 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Clo

Not the trick---

Post by *Clo »

2pdavit

:oops:  OOps ! You link displays only a banner of "AngelFire" hosting ...

:P The download-flow for the image is nil

Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

2pdavit

In general a nasty antivirus program is scanning TC in deep, resulting in a slowdown.

Try to exclude TOTALCMD.EXE from OnAccess scan (which is still secure because TC has its own CRC check and terminates at any modification by virus).

Or download the unpacked version from Club Total

http://clubtotal.free.fr/index.php?dir=Releases
#5767 Personal license
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

2 sqa_wizard

I'll give it a try tomorrow. Thanks! If that's the problem I cannot understand why the antivirus software will selectively behave like this. And when I say selectively I'm referring to machines and not applications.

2 Clo

I really don't know what the problem with the link is. You have access right to the image. Funny thing: if you copy the link and then paste it in another browser window it works!
Last edited by pdavit on 2004-05-20, 19:16 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Clo

Post by *Clo »

2pdavit
• The new link works but very slowly to load the pic…
I've only DSL @ 128Kbds. Pasting it for a new window makes it's displayed immediatly !
• About the sqa_wizard's tip, I agree, since we have not the problem, but we have not Norton-AV… And we run the normal (compressed) TC-EXE.
:mrgreen:  KR
Claude
Clo
Last edited by Clo on 2004-05-20, 19:40 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

Thanks Clo! I'll give a try tomorrow on the exclusion bit of the issue and see how it goes. I've tried before the unpacked version (when v6.02 had been released) without success on the startup time. :(
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

pdavit wrote:Thanks Clo! I'll give a try tomorrow on the exclusion bit of the issue and see how it goes. I've tried before the unpacked version (when v6.02 had been released) without success on the startup time. :(
Just a thought: May be it depends on some plugins you've installed? I found with my TC version it increases the starting time immense. (At least for the first time I start TC) And I don't use any 'on access' virus prog.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Clo

Real free RAM too ?

Post by *Clo »

2Sheepdog
:) Hi Stefan !
May be it depends on some plugins you've installed?
• Right, we have only "Imagine" installed at home, I guess...
* Besides, Panos pdavit has a lot of things in his task-list. * Only the EXEs are indicated at the RAM using. But these EXEs load too a large amount of DLLs, drivers and so.
* Hence, it might be interesting to know what is the rest of really free RAM, i.e. using Cacheman which is an "I-pay-if-I-can-ware" good program…

:mrgreen:  V G
Claude
Clo
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *pdavit »

Sheepdog wrote:Just a thought: May be it depends on some plugins you've installed? I found with my TC version it increases the starting time immense. (At least for the first time I start TC) And I don't use any 'on access' virus prog.
For various (and known to you all) reasons I do not install a lot of plug-ins at work for security reasons. To be accurate, I only use Imagine. The problem was there even before the installation of Imagine so it's not Imagine's fault.

Now... today startup time for TC is less than 2secs with NAV running as it used to!! This has happened before where one day load-up time was fast and another day extremely slow. I think the source of the problem is network related. I do not administer this machine or the network section it belongs to, so I don't really know its network configuration history. What I do know is that I have tabs that point to remote locations and this can be the source of the problem where TC is probably waiting for responses from the individual locations.