MultiRename inside of archives?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

MultiRename inside of archives?

Post by *SanskritFritz »

Wouldnt it be nice to be able to use the EXCELLENT MultiRename tool inside of archives? Is it hard to implement? In place renaming works, so the function is alrady present in the code.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
pdavit
Power Member
Power Member
Location: Kavala -> Greece -> Europe -> Earth -> Solar System -> Milky Way -> Space

Post by *pdavit »

If memory serves me well, Christian said that he didn't consider this because the list will have to be firstly unpacked, then be renamed and then re-packed again. While this can be transparent to the end-user he considered the speed implications.

On the other hand though, since we don't have the ability now the only thing we can do is follow the aforementioned procedure manually which is even slower due to the interactive nature! ;)

Please, automate! :D

Christian's concerns though are valid under certain circumstances. If for example you have a zip file with 500 files in it and you just have to multi-rename 10 files out of the 500 TC would have to unpack all 500 files, rename the 10 selected ones and re-pack all 500 again! I still though don't know if it is faster to follow this workaround: select the 10 files for renaming, unpack them on the opposite filelist, delete them from within the archive, multi-rename them on the other side, move them inside the archive. Same effect as the suggested automated (and slow) process but is it really slower if the human factor is counted?
"My only reason for still using M$ Window$ as an OS is the existence of Total Commander!"
Christian Ghisler Rules!!!
Clo

Comfortable---

Post by *Clo »

2pdavit
:) Hello Panos !
Please, automate!  :D
• I agree! In anyway, the PC works faster than the user acting "by hand" in such a case. It's a more "comfortable" mean to make that job…

:mrgreen:  K R
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials