Bugs not fixed in TC6.03a

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

white
Power Member
Power Member

Bugs not fixed in TC6.03a

Post by *white »

Last edited by white on 2004-04-22, 11:37 UTC, edited 5 times in total.
JackFoo

Post by *JackFoo »

Not a bug per-se but something that has been bothering me since tabs were introduced:

(noreread=\ and the Locked tabs being reset when TC starts)
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=2392&highlight=
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

1) works as it should
2) This is by design too
3) This is also by design - I tried other ways, but it was all much worse
4) You cannot focus the list because it's not a listbox, it's a combobox (non-dropdown) with the edit field!
5) This is discutable - I decided against it because TC would become unusable when getting an error on every dir change
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

I decided against it because TC would become unusable when getting an error on every dir change
I AGREE!!!!!
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

ghisler(Author) wrote:1) works as it should
a) Select menu option Configuration/Options
b) Select section "Display"
c) Click the last radio buttons in the groups ("No symbols" and "Like files") and click the OK button
d) Repeat step a) and step b)
e) Hit the TAB key until the OK button has focus
f) Now the first radio buttons in the groups are selected

This is what happens on my system. Is this how it should work?
ghisler(Author) wrote:2) This is by design too
If I may ask, what is the reason for displaying the wrong shorcut in the right click menu (CTRL+T instead of CTRL+SHIFT+T)?
ghisler(Author) wrote: 3) This is also by design - I tried other ways, but it was all much worse
What exactly is the "logic" behind it now? And what problems arise when you use the logic:
The last period in a file name separates name and extension.
When renaming with wildcards the last period separates the mask for the file name and the mask for the extension.

ghisler(Author) wrote:4) You cannot focus the list because it's not a listbox, it's a combobox (non-dropdown) with the edit field!
I think you are answering the question why the list in the associate window cannot receive focus. That is not at all what I was talking about.

ghisler(Author) wrote:5) This is discutable - I decided against it because TC would become unusable when getting an error on every dir change
You yourself suggested:
ghisler(Author) wrote:Indeed I could show an error every time, but this would probably be very annoying. Perhaps I could use the new error box with option "don't show this error again". What do you think?
You could also hint the user in a less "annoying" way. And you could make the error (or other signal) optional.

It could be very very annoying if a persons thinks he copied all files while in fact he did not. For instance for a person who delivers the files for an important assignment.
It can also create confusion. For instance when you mark and delete all files and after the files are deleted, there are still files listed.

I think not notifying the user that not all files are listed makes Total Commander unreliable.
Last edited by white on 2004-04-22, 11:40 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

<Contents moved to message above>
Last edited by white on 2004-04-22, 09:56 UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Valentino
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Valentino »

Agree with white, 1) is a bug.
white
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *white »

white wrote:I think not notifying the user that not all files are listed makes Total Commander unreliable.
And it looks strange when Quick View Panel shows the correct number of files while the status bar shows the wrong number of files.

Image: http://img182.exs.cx/img182/1867/tc603alotoffiles00000000000001.png
Last edited by white on 2005-02-01, 19:17 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
HerbieH

Post by *HerbieH »

White wrote:

5) No message when not all files displayed.

I really think this should be fixed. You're right here. But try to find a balance in your critics of Ghisler's work :?

Take som advice: Be very precise in your description of errors, and don't get discouraged, if u fail to get through the first time. BUT don't create a pile of errors. And I think, Christian would be more willing to listen to all of us, if we keep a nice and friendly tone. :D

After all, 'Black Dog' has not responded yet. (BD is a brilliant TC advicer, but he really hates some people on the forum. ...A bit sad.) :(

(a forum reader, who loves TC.)
HerbieH*
-Keep on makin' music!