TC9 standalone Quick View: 'Keep always on top' missed

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

damieri

TOPMOST expected?

Post by *damieri »

Total Commander 9.0ß1 HISTORY.TXT wrote:05.02.16 Added: Ctrl+Shift+Q: Opens Quick View in separate Lister window, updates contents when going to other file (32/64)
I have been trying this nice new feature with current TC 9.0RC6 (Lister*) and wlx_mmedia_2.6.2.1.7z and it works but IMHO the Window behavior is annoying and not what should be expected for a non maximized (windowed) window especially when viewing multimedia files.

What I initially expected (which makes most sense to me) is that the Lister* window be resizable and movable as usual and also have the TOPMOST (configurable) property set typical when viewing multimedia files. This has been common practice for a while such as in native Windows Media Center (windowed mode) default ticked checkbox setting "Always keep Windows Media Center on top".

There have always been very simple ways to do this such as:
Extended Window Styles
WS_EX_TOPMOST = 8
SetWindowPos function
HWND_TOPMOST = -1
HWND_NOTOPMOST = -2

I have checked the previous forum topics 44193 and 44349 but unfortunately and disappointingly it seems the former is in the forum TC Behaviour which will not be changed.

I really hope it will be reconsidered and a simple optional "Always on Top" be added especially to (Ctrl+Shift+Q) Lister* and even standard (F3) Lister windows as a main menu option or even built into the Lister title bar menu itself to make it even easier (ALT+SPACE) to find.
damieri

FOCUS

Post by *damieri »

Firstly, I originally posted my above post 321259 as the fourth post to reply in topic 46419 started by zaffi. I was trying to edit it to add the FOCUS information below but my post disappeared and was moved to this new topic title, but NOT started by me! There is no usual "Moderator" box info post above so I am a bit confused but I will get on with this post as it seems in the right place anyhow.

I just wanted to add that the TOPMOST Lister* window as suggested does NOT necessarily have to have the input FOCUS and can remain as TOPMOST window while another (even hidden or obscured) window has the input FOCUS.

This is the current behavior of the current TC 9.0RC6 Ctrl+Shift+Q Lister* window which returns FOCUS back to the originating TC panel/window/etc. which I believe is correct and appropriate to allow easy file navigation (using keyboard or mouse) with a "floating" TOPMOST Lister* window displaying updated content.

The TOPMOST property should IMHO be a configurable option for ALL TC users, with or without multiple monitors or a single large or wide format monitor.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Ctrl+Shift+Q is meant for people with 2 screens or wide screens: You can move the separate quick view window where you want it, then use "Save position" to set it there. This is separate from the normal Lister position.

The focus is returned to TC so you can still go through the file list with cursor up/down as you do when viewing files with Ctrl+Q. If you don't want that, use the Lister with F3 instead.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
silencer

Post by *silencer »

2ghisler(Author)
damieri is asking for topmost window, most likely to use with TC fullscreen, and lister in a quarter corner of the screen. At least this is what I would miss.

So the focus is on the filelist and you will be able to go through the filelist, but the lister window remains on top. A bit like the find window in Notepad++ for instance.
damieri

Different viewpoint

Post by *damieri »

I have a different viewpoint especially when using a smaller single screen notebook etc. on the go to organise media files especially.

With the "floating" Lister* window you can see both file panel lists and cursor, tab or mouse click to other files or panels and get immediate feedback on what the media file content is and make appropriate file copying etc. decisions.

Even for just viewing or entertainment purposes I find the actual "free and floating" Lister* window better than the Ctrl+Q quick view panel "closed in" view. But without TOPMOST for Lister* I honestly find it annoying so probably will just have to use it on fixed desktop multi monitor etc. systems :(
damieri

Yes!

Post by *damieri »

silencer wrote:damieri is asking for topmost window, most likely to use with TC fullscreen, and lister in a quarter corner of the screen. At least this is what I would miss.
Exactly! I use TC maximized (fullscreen) 99% of the time. Am I the only one? A "free floating" Lister* window over the main TC fullscreen window will make life happier for both work and play! :D
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

You can easily add such functionality by using a third-party software, e.g. AquaSnap or a similar tool. That not only helps for the requested QuickView window but also other windows and applications.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence
Ryzen 5 2600, 16 GiB RAM, ASUS Prime X370-A, Win7 x64

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
damieri

Re: FOCUS

Post by *damieri »

damieri wrote:I was trying to edit it to add the FOCUS information below but my post disappeared and was moved to this new topic title, but NOT started by me! There is no usual "Moderator" box info post above so I am a bit confused but I will get on with this post as it seems in the right place anyhow.
Well, it did "seem" to be in the right place but how wrong I was! I spent a lot of time trying to genuinely help make TC better as usual (some forum members get me) but just keep end up getting excuses like the previous reply which I choose to ignore.

To be 100% frank and honest this topic (which I did not start or create the title) should actually be in the TC9 BUGS forum and I agree that there are TWO BUGS as sky66 first reported in the previously mentioned 44193 topic:

(BUG 1) The Lister* window should be initially created with TOPMOST which is the typical behaviour most users would expect.

(BUG 2) The Lister* window CAN and should be created with TOPMOST without giving it INPUT (foreground) FOCUS which would avoid the STRANGE blinking caused by switching to it and back to the main TC calling window.

And that is all I have to say about this topic (which I did not start nor was told who started it). Hmmm.

Cheers :?
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2damieri
I don't remember anybody saying that they're missing such feature during the beta phase so far, so I don't agree with "which is the typical behavior most users would expect". Your post is not a bug report but a feature reques, and that's why it's correct in the Suggestions forum.

However, I agree that TC would benefit from an (optional!) top-most function in the (separate) QuickView window. Until it arrives in TC, use a third-party tool as already mentioned.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

Plugins: Services2, Startups, CertificateInfo, SignatureInfo, LineBreakInfo - Download-Mirror
silencer

Post by *silencer »

2Dalai
To be honest, i didn't knew why i would like to have a lister window in the background, so i skipped looking into this functionality due to this...

Bringing it to the foreground would certainly give me reason to use it.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

2silencer
As Ghisler already stated, the separate QuickView is intended to be used on a second screen or next to the TC window. So it's not in the background. And, I don't really see the advantage of positioning the separate QuickView window on top of TC when the simple (integrated) QuickView already does the job. Such thoughts would've crossed my mind when I would have had to implement it, maybe Ghisler had similar ones.

Regards
Dalai
#101164 Personal licence

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Yes exactly, it's meant as a separate window not overlaying TC's main window. For that purpose, just use Ctrl+Q! You can even drag the separator between file list and internal quick view to the left and then choose "Save position" to get a larger quick view panel automatically each time you press Ctrl+Q.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

I would support adding 'Always on top' system menu item to Lister (separate or normal), BTM window and perhaps some other windows that may be required on top, it is not hard to do and it may be really useful sometimes.

However I understand that such thing may be easilly realized as a plugin that will add such command to all TC windows, or it may also be any third-party window handling tool that provide such function.
Last edited by MVV on 2016-11-22, 07:41 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
silencer

Post by *silencer »

You can easily add such functionality by using a third-party software, e.g. AquaSnap or a similar tool. That not only helps for the requested QuickView window but also other windows and applications.
When working in a corporate environment where you are not allowed to install software, this is unfortunately not an option.
As Ghisler already stated, the separate QuickView is intended to be used on a second screen or next to the TC window. So it's not in the background.
If you try out this functionality based on the information from the help file and just work on 1 screen, it is actually behind the TC window.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out it would be handy function for me to have. CTRL-Q works too, but having a separate lister window gives the button bar from imagine for instance. And also when moving from dir to dir you have to CTRL-Q all the time to change the destination directory.
Dalai
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Dalai »

silencer wrote:When working in a corporate environment where you are not allowed to install software, this is unfortunately not an option.
No problem there since some of them are also portable (AquaSnap, RBTray).

But as I said: An "Always on top" feature in separate QuickView wouldn't hurt.

Regards
Dalai