[Old] System Information: text cut off with increased DPI

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

[Old] System Information: text cut off with increased DPI

Post by *Flint »

1. Open Settings - Font, and set increased DPI setting. For example, my default was 96, I set it to 144.
2. Open Commands - System Information.
3. Many text fields are fully or partially clipped, as well as group borders.

Screenshot (top row — DPI 144, bottom row — DPI 96).

Tested in 9.50b4 32- and 64-bit (results are a bit different, but much alike). This also happens in 9.22a (again, with minor differences).
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [Old] System Information: text cut off with increased DPI

Post by *Usher »

There was already similar discussion: https://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=50786 with my suggestion:
Usher wrote:Maybe that dialog window could be resized basing on TC font/display settings for currently used screen?
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Polish subforum moderator
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

The problem is, it IS resized based on the font and DPI, but the resizing is performed badly, and some elements (probably) receive larger backgrounds than they need, so they start to overlap each other.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

I suspect that this window was tested only in 96 and 120 DPI, but I'm not sure what is wrong. It may be miscalculated position and size of text box (box background) or text itself. Different fonts with the same character height (font size) may have different line height (font background), so calculations base only on font size may be wrong.

And the main suggestion of the linked topic was to make this dialog window larger in general. It would be easier to place elements in larger window and avoid text clipping/overlapping in translation or larger DPI.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

I agree that making it wider would help in general, there are indeed some lines that are too long.
But increasing the size won't automatically fix the bug I've reported here. They are just two separate things to be done.

Usher
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Usher »

I mean making larger in both dimensions, not only wider. It requires to put window elements in new places and recalculate size and position (edited) of all elements, basing on your reports.
They are NOT two separate things. Your reports show only a part of problems, and I insist on a general fix which includes your reports and allows to avoid similar problems in the future.
Andrzej P. Wozniak
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Look, if you suggest to "fix" the background overlapping problem by simply moving things further apart, that's not a solution. There's enough of vertical space as it is (I'm not talking about horizontal, this bug does not concern it). Moving controls further apart would just mask the issue, without solving it, and thus making it re-appear in the future with just a different DPI. Not to mention that it would nedlessly expand the occupied space without adding any more information there, making it huge and filled with emptiness that wasn't there.

There's no need to oppose these two reports, nor to merge them together. They are different in origins, they are different in results, they are different in solutions. Why do you keep insisting on solving one with the other? They are both in need of implementation, but that doesn't make them interchangable.

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Confirm fixed overlapping in 9.50β5.