[Dark Mode] The color of the dropdown menu list is different

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Elwin_Ransom

[Dark Mode] The color of the dropdown menu list is different

Post by *Elwin_Ransom »

Mr. Ghisler,
I hadn't used Dark Mode before. But now I've discovered that it's flexible enough to produce interesting results )) Thank you for that. Please look at this example:
https://0x0.st/ow8U.png

Do you see that the color of the dropdown menu list is different from the color of the other elements in the window? This only happens on Windows 10. On Windows 8 and 7, that color corresponds to the setting "Configuration -> Color -> Others: -> Dark Mode: -> Background color". Like this:
https://0x0.st/ow80.png

Shouldn't it be the same on Windows 10?
So, thanks to the help of petermad, this part of the question is solved by key ForceDarkModeOptions=2.

And one more thing: could you add the option to customize the color of the menu list border? That would be a great addition to the existing ones.
Last edited by Elwin_Ransom on 2022-10-17, 12:43 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [Dark Mode] The color of the dropdown menu list is different

Post by *petermad »

I cannot confirm this - on my TC 10.52rc3 under Windows 10 it looks like this (with an orange text color to make it more visible): https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/menutextcolordark.png

I like your button bar iconset - where did you get that from?
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Elwin_Ransom

Post by *Elwin_Ransom »

2petermad
I cannot confirm this
Thank you very much :) Your answer prompted me to take a closer look at the ini keys. The reason is the value of ForceDarkModeOptions key, which should be 2.
button bar iconset - where did you get that from
I got the idea and the first few samples from icons8.com, from the "Simple Small" style set. But then, guided by the original, I drew most of the icons myself. The goal is that the original drawings are saved in svg. This allows you to automatically create two icons - dark and light - from a single drawing.
https://0x0.st/owc2.png
https://0x0.st/owc_.png

Well, my confusion can be considered solved. However, if Mr. Gisler can find a way to provide access to the menu border color setting, that would be very appreciated.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Elwin_Ransom
The reason is the value of ForceDarkModeOptions key, it should be 2.
Did you use ForceDarkModeOptions=4 before?
This allows you to automatically create two icons - dark and light
Can you save icons as SVG in the .icl file? - or do you have two .icl files, one for each mode?
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
Elwin_Ransom

Post by *Elwin_Ransom »

2petermad
Did you use ForceDarkModeOptions=4 before?
I didn't use it at all, i.e. the default value (1) was in effect.
icons as SVG
I use two files. And I mount them using the wdx_Autorun plugin with the following script:
Spoiler

Code: Select all

IniRead DARKMODE %COMMANDER_INI% "Configuration" "DarkMode" 0
If %DARKMODE% = 1 Then
  RegRead DARKMODE "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes\Personalize" "AppsUseLightTheme" 1
  If %DARKMODE% = 1 Then
    Set DARKMODE 0
  Else
    Set DARKMODE 2
  EndIf
EndIf
IniRead DARKMODEMARK "%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\WDX\Autorun\autorun.ini" "Marks" "DarkMode" 0
If %DARKMODEMARK% <> %DARKMODE% Then
  ShellExec /SW_HIDE "%COMSPEC%" "/C DEL /Q %COMMANDER_PATH%\*.BR2"
  IniWrite "%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\WDX\Autorun\autorun.ini" "Marks" "DarkMode" %DARKMODE%
EndIf
If %DARKMODE% = 0 Then
  SetEnv /EV COMMANDER_ICONS_EXTRA     '%COMMANDER_PATH%\Profile\icons\bars.extra.outline.dll'
  SetEnv /EV COMMANDER_ICONS_FILETYPES '%COMMANDER_PATH%\Profile\icons\bars.filetypes.outline.dll'
  SetEnv /EV WCMICONS                  '%COMMANDER_PATH%\Profile\icons\wcmicons.outline.dll'
ElseIf %DARKMODE% = 2 Then
  SetEnv /EV COMMANDER_ICONS_EXTRA     '%COMMANDER_PATH%\Profile\icons\bars.extra.outline.white.dll'
  SetEnv /EV COMMANDER_ICONS_FILETYPES '%COMMANDER_PATH%\Profile\icons\bars.filetypes.outline.white.dll'
  SetEnv /EV WCMICONS                  '%COMMANDER_PATH%\Profile\icons\wcmicons.outline.white.dll'
EndIf
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Elwin_Ransom
Hmm, I cannot reproduce your original problem with abscent ForceDarkModeOptions or ForceDarkModeOptions=1 - there must have been another reason for the problem.
License #524 (1994)
Elwin_Ransom

Post by *Elwin_Ransom »

2petermad
I apologize for the delay in replying. I have not yet been able to determine what the cause of the problem is, but it is stable with both ForceDarkModeOptions absent and ForceDarkModeOptions=1. However, the history states that "ForceDarkModeOptions=3 (and 2) disables Windows 10-specific dark mode features" - this pretty much explains the situation. When the menu is rendered by a system function, it obviously ignores the color settings specified in Total Commander, so the TC window is colored one color and the menu is colored another. In my case the difference between the dark color of the system menu and the custom dark color in TC was very apparent, so I preferred using compatibility mode for older versions to resolve that difference.
Last edited by Elwin_Ransom on 2022-10-19, 19:41 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I prefer to use compatibility mode for older versions than to see such a difference.
Don't you mean: that you prefer NOT to use compatibility mode? Otherwise I am confused.

My screenshot from earlier: https://madsenworld.dk/tcmd/menutextcolordark.png is with ForceDarkModeOptions=1 and as you can see the color of the text is the same in TC's Main window and in the Menu.
License #524 (1994)
Elwin_Ransom

Post by *Elwin_Ransom »

2petermad
Don't you mean
Sorry, the automatic translator didn't fully understand what I meant :D I meant: In my case the difference between the dark color of the system menu and the custom dark color of TC was very apparent, so I preferred using compatibility mode for older versions to resolve that difference. (I corrected the previous post to make it clearer. Please excuse the time taken.)
screenshot from earlier... is with ForceDarkModeOptions=1
And here's what I see on my side with ForceDarkModeOptions=1: https://0x0.st/ow0w.png . And at the moment, unfortunately, I have no idea why this is happening on my system.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2Elwin_Ransom
Could you try this:
1. Run this from TC's command line: %COMMANDER_EXE% /i=%TEMP%\tc.ini /M=2
2. Go to "Configuration"-> "Options..." -> "Color" -> "Others" -> "Dark Mode:" -> "Text color"
3. Change the Text color to something different from the System's menu text color - how does the menu text color look then?
License #524 (1994)
Elwin_Ransom

Post by *Elwin_Ransom »

2petermad
%COMMANDER_EXE% /i=%TEMP%\tc.ini /M=2
Wow, very interesting! The menu is now displayed with the colors chosen in the TC. So it seems that the reason for the previous behavior is somewhere in my ini settings. I will investigate that tomorrow. Thanks a lot!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The reason is that you have disabled icons in the main menu. In this case, the 32-bit version of Total Commander does not use an owner-drawn menu and leaves the drawing to Windows. Therefore you will then get a menu with the default dark mode colors.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Elwin_Ransom

Post by *Elwin_Ransom »

2ghisler(Author)
Thanks for the clarification. Indeed, this behavior appears when IconsInMenus=16. A few minutes ago, I identified this key myself by disabling/enabling the ini keys one by one. I should have read your post a bit earlier ))

2petermad
Thanks for your interest and participation. So, at the moment I'm going back to ForceDarkModeOptions=2. But in figuring out why, I've learned a lot, which is great.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

If you don't want icons in menus but still owner drawn menus, just rename or delete the file WCMICONS.INC in the TC program directory. The only downside is when you add a new button to the button bar, and pick a cm_* command, then TC will not suggest an icon for that command.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com