TC IrfanView Plugin

Discuss and announce Total Commander plugins, addons and other useful tools here, both their usage and their development.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

AkulaBig

Re: TC IrfanView Plugin

Post by *AkulaBig »

tuska wrote: 2023-06-14, 13:47 UTC [Others]
INI_Folder=%APPDATA%\IrfanView
There have already been similar questions. I will not solve them. I'm writing in a readme, I need to use my IV settings files. If you change them to your own, I do not guarantee the work of the plugin. I will not process the IV settings.
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

For interest, I checked i_view32.ini with
[Others]
Plugin works without problems. Look for the problem in your i_viewXX.ini settings
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

AkulaBig wrote: 2023-06-15, 04:50 UTC
tuska wrote: 2023-06-14, 13:47 UTC [Others]
There have already been similar questions. I will not solve them. I'm writing in a readme, I need to use my IV settings files.
If you change them to your own, I do not guarantee the work of the plugin. I will not process the IV settings.
Thank you for the prompt information!

In terms of installation locations, this results in the following for TC IrfanView Plugins 1.x and 2.x:
  1. Installation locations WITH administrative write permissions required, e.g. C:\Program Files\... or C:\Program Files (x86)\...
    *** Option variant 2 ***
    1. %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\irfanview.ini with section [Options].
      Any entries starting with path64= or path= will NOT be taken into account by TC IrfanView plugins 1.x and 2.x!
    2. These IrfanView settings files [Default: From the author of the plugin] are used, namely
      %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView64\i_view64.ini
      %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView\i_view32.ini
    3. At least the file "%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView64\i_view64.exe" or/and
      the file "%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" must be present for the plugin to work.
      See also: point 3.
    4. The information in the file "Readme.txt" must be observed!
    5. Important notes:
      - F2 Renaming of an image opened in F3 Lister (irfanview) is not possible.
      - The context menu of IrfanView does not appear after right-clicking on an image opened with F3 Lister in Lister (irfanview).
  2. Installation locations WITH write permissions, e.g. C:\totalcmd\... etc.
    *** Option variant 1 ***
    1. %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\irfanview.ini with section [Options].
      Any entries starting with path64= or path= will be considered by TC IrfanView plugins 1.x and 2.x!
      Examples (using own settings files):
      path64=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Tools\IrfanView-portable-64bit\IrfanView\i_view64.exe
      path=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Tools\IrfanView-portable\IrfanView\i_view32.exe
      More examples are given in this file: %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\irfanview.sample.ini
      During an update/upgrade the file "irfanview.ini" will NOT be overwritten!
    2. In this case these folders are NOT accessed (they are not needed):
      %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView\
      %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView64\
    3. Only if there are NO entries in %COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\irfanview.ini with section [Options]
      these files are used:
      In this case at least the file "%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView64\i_view64.exe" or/and
      the file "%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView\i_view32.exe" must be present for the plugin to work.
    4. The information in the file "Readme.txt" must be observed!
    5. Important note: The author does not guarantee the function of the plugin -> point 2.a.
  3. Option: Use own IrfanView settings files when installing with "option variant 2".
    *** Option variant 3 ***
    1. It is recommended to RENAME/keep these files:
      Rename:
    2. Then transfer the files in this folder (with your own IrfanView settings) - example:
      Copy files/folders:
      - TO    : C:\Program Files\totalcmd\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView64\
      In this case the TC IrfanView plugin considers the (own) i_view64.ini with this content:
      [Others]
      See also:
      AkulaBig wrote:I will not process the IV settings.
      This statement is only valid in connection with the file "irfanview.ini".
    3. Important notes:
      - The author does not guarantee the function of the plugin.
      - F2 Renaming in F3 Lister (irfanview) is not possible.
      - The context menu of IrfanView does not appear after right-clicking an image opened with F3 Lister in Lister (irfanview).
May I suggest that you express the fact regarding installation locations WITH administrative write permissions required (point 1.),
e.g. C:\Program Files\... or C:\Program Files (x86)\ in the file "Readme.txt" somehow?

Because in this case only option variant 2: "EMPTY irfanview.ini" is possible (in contrast to option variant 1: "FILLED irfanview.ini").
In my opinion, this could eliminate any ambiguities regarding installation requirements in the future.

TC IrfanView Plugin 1.x | TC IrfanView Plugin 2.x
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

tuska wrote: 2023-06-15, 13:21 UTC In terms of installation locations, this results in the following for TC IrfanView Plugins 1.x and 2.x:
This applies to the installation of IV and to the principles of Windows. I have nothing to do with it. And I don't see any point in describing the IV installation. It is necessary for IV developers to write why their work IV depends on the installation location and rights. But I agree with you. It will be necessary to identify the problem somehow. I will add 1,2 lines to the readme.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

2AkulaBig
Thank you.

I wanted to show the installation options for users (and any inconveniences that may arise).
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

tuska wrote: 2023-06-15, 13:58 UTC I wanted to show the installation options for users (and any inconveniences that may arise).
This is understandable. But why would I take responsibility for installing IV. I checked your installation description again. It fully complies with the principles of installing programs in Windows.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

AkulaBig wrote: 2023-06-15, 14:19 UTC
tuska wrote: 2023-06-15, 13:58 UTC I wanted to show the installation options for users (and any inconveniences that may arise).
This is understandable. But why would I take responsibility for installing IV. I checked your installation description again.
It fully complies with the principles of installing programs in Windows.
Please don't get me wrong, I did NOT want to tell you that I see a need for further action on your part.

I was just referring to this passage:
AkulaBig wrote: 2023-06-15, 13:54 UTC ... And I don't see any point in describing the IV installation. ...
... and also wanted to say in general before that it seemed important to me
to give the TC IrfanView plugin users an overview of the installation options.
Horst.Epp
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Horst.Epp »

tuska wrote: 2023-06-15, 15:46 UTC ... and also wanted to say in general before that it seemed important to me
If the user decides not to install into protected dirs
by making a portable TC installation all is fine.

In this case plugin installation is made in a minute.
- Install the plugin.
- Add the path to IrfanView into the plugins ini-file
- Use it
Windows 11 Home x64 Version 23H2 (OS Build 22631.3593)
TC 11.03 x64 / x86
Everything 1.5.0.1376a (x64), Everything Toolbar 1.3.3, Listary Pro 6.3.0.78
QAP 11.6.3.3 x64
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

tuska wrote: 2023-06-15, 15:46 UTC ... and also wanted to say in general before that it seemed important to me
Maybe I didn't fully understand the translation. But it seems to me that you described installing IrfanView, not installing a plugin.
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-06-15, 15:55 UTC If the user decides not to install into protected dirs
by making a portable TC installation all is fine.
Yes. That's what I mean. And if the user decides to install in protected directories, he himself must figure out how to do it. I will write a warning in the readme, but the installation itself is carried out in the same way as all other programs in protected directories.
Horst.Epp wrote: 2023-06-15, 15:55 UTC - Add the path to IrfanView into the plugins ini-file
And if you set it by default, as described in the readme, you don't even need to prescribe anything.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

AkulaBig wrote: 2023-06-15, 15:59 UTC
Maybe I didn't fully understand the translation. But it seems to me that you described installing IrfanView, not installing a plugin.
I have mainly described the installation locations with setting variations and their effects.
Status: TC IrfanView Plugin 1.8.4, TC IrfanView Plugin 2.59.
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

tuska wrote: 2023-06-15, 16:06 UTC I have mainly described the installation locations with setting variations and their effects.
Installed my TC build in C:\Program Files. There are Administrator rights. Installed the plugin. (1. (Installation location WITH administrative write permissions required, e.g. C:\Program Files\... or C:\Program Files (x86)\...
*** Option variant 2 ***) Path to irfanview.ini
[Options]
path64=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView\i_view32.exe
it works without problems.
With an empty section, [Options] works without problems. I didn't check further.
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

I also didn't understand about the context menu. Probably you have disabled its display in the IV/ settings Because it always works. Also don't understand F2. What should happen when it is pressed to make sure it is working?
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

AkulaBig wrote: 2023-06-15, 18:29 UTC
tuska wrote: 2023-06-15, 16:06 UTC I have mainly described the installation locations with setting variations and their effects.
Installed my TC build in C:\Program Files. There are Administrator rights. Installed the plugin.
(1. (Installation location WITH administrative write permissions required, e.g. C:\Program Files\... or C:\Program Files (x86)\...
*** Option variant 2 ***) Path to irfanview.ini
[Options]
path64=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView\i_view32.exe
it works without problems.
With an empty section, [Options] works without problems. I didn't check further.
I am very sorry, but I can not cope with the issue C:\Program Files\... or C:\Program Files (x86)\
because I could not achieve your test results despite an immense amount of time.

With this (your) test scenario: [Options] path64=%COMMANDER_PATH%\Plugins\wlx\TCIrfanView\IrfanView\i_view32.exe
in my opinion it is NOT possible to determine if an entry (path64=, path=) in the file "irfanview.ini" is working,
because if there is only the entry [Options] in this file, it will automatically fall back to this value.
A realistic test value would be, for example, [Options] path64=C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe,
whereby the fingers cramp when I have to type path64... and iview32...

My installation location is C:\totalcmd and there works for me, what doesn't work for me under "C:\Program Files\".
For me this topic ("C:\Program Files\"...) is finally finished at this point (Option variant 1, 3 do not interest me anymore).
AkulaBig wrote: 2023-06-15, 18:33 UTC I also didn't understand about the context menu. Probably you have disabled its display in the IV/ settings Because it always works.
Also don't understand F2. What should happen when it is pressed to make sure it is working?
- The context menu works for me in C:\totalcmd but not in C:\Program Files\... (the same .ini files were used).
- F2 Rename does not work at all at the moment.
  - IS .......: F3 Lister (irfanview), F2: Nothing happens, [multiple] click in the image and F2 shows the rename mask. Renaming not possible.
  - SHOULD: F3 Lister (irfanview), F2 rename -> renaming should be possible - without having to click in the image.
  This function has been requested by one user so far. (I always do my renaming in Total Commander).

Windows 11 Pro (x64) Version 22H2 (OS build Build 22621.1848) | TC 11.00b7 x64/x86 portable in C:\totalcmd
AkulaBig

Post by *AkulaBig »

tuska wrote: 2023-06-15, 23:45 UTC [ am very sorry, but I can not cope with the issue C:\Program Files\... or C:\Program Files (x86)\
[img]https://i122.fastpic.org/thumb/2023/0616/05/_f52c9774d9a606a9204b769b880e4505.jpeg[/img]

But I realized that you wrote about irfanview.ini when you first installed it. Until you press F3 or Ctrl+Q irfanview.ini is not created and you cannot specify the path to the IV type
[Options]
path64=C:\Program Files (x86)\IrfanView\i_view32.exe
Unfortunately, there is no way to fix this. Just write an installation program, which doesn't make sense. But in the readme, of course, you need to write about it.