Lost my directory hotlist and not sure what I did wrong

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Big J Money

Lost my directory hotlist and not sure what I did wrong

Post by *Big J Money »

Hi, I always keep my wincmd.ini file backed up. I had a backup saved, let's call it 'config A'. I decided to mess around with font colors a lot today, and made a lot of changes. I saved my settings when I was done ('save settings'). We'll call this file 'config B'.

I wanted to take a look at the before and after, so I also backed up config B to another location, so that I could load config A. When I switched the old wincmd.ini (config A), everything occurred as expected. Not only did I have the old colors, but I lost my directory hotlist, and all my tabs were gone. No problem.

However, when I switched back to config B, even though the new colors came back, my directory hotlist was completely reverted to the one from config A. I lost all of them. I also lost all my tabs, but I think maybe that is because I did not use 'save position'.

Does anyone know why my directory hotlist was not backed up in my new wincmd.ini? I would like to avoid this problem in the future. Thank you.
Big J Money

Re: Lost my directory hotlist and not sure what I did wrong

Post by *Big J Money »

Oh, one more thing I noticed: when I switched to config A, a popup appeared for the button bar, but I just pressed cancel. When reinstalled config B, I still had a vertical button bar, even though I did not have one at the time when I saved config B.

I wonder if config A was from a previous version, and this caused some issues.
Big J Money

Post by *Big J Money »

Well, I can answer one question: I was wrong about how tabs are saved. I was under the impression for years that 'save position' also saved which tabs are open, but it saves tabstop position.

I have saved my tabs to a tabfile now, so that part of the mystery is solved. I still don't know why my directory hotlist disappeared, but again I think it might be swapping wincmd.ini between different versions of totalcmd, perhaps.
tuska
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *tuska »

Hi,

Directory hotlist
The Directory hotlist is normally saved in the "wincmd.ini" file in the [DirMenu] section.
Exception
You can also save the [DirMenu] section to a different file.
Example:

wincmd.ini

Code: Select all

[DirMenu]
RedirectSection=wincmd_DirMenu_DirectoryHotlist.ini

Tabs - Example:
wincmd.ini - section [Configuration]

TabDir=%COMMANDER_PATH%\TABs\
%COMMANDER_PATH% corresponds to the path in which the TOTALCMD.EXE and/or TOTALCMD64.EXE file is also located.

The file extension is .tab, e.g. STANDARD.tab
Buttonbar
The button bar is saved in the "wincmd.ini" file in these sections: [Buttonbar] and [ButtonbarVertical]
Execption
You can also save sections to a different file.
Example:

wincmd.ini

[Buttonbar]
RedirectSection=%COMMANDER_PATH%\wincmd_Buttonbar.ini
[ButtonbarVertical]
RedirectSection=%COMMANDER_PATH%\wincmd_Buttonbar.ini
Attention: The section name may only exist once in the file "wincmd.ini".
I hope this information helps you a bit.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

Big J Money wrote: 2023-12-01, 16:47 UTC Well, I can answer one question: I was wrong about how tabs are saved. I was under the impression for years that 'save position' also saved which tabs are open, but it saves tabstop position.
TC saves its Folder Tabs in the sections [lefttabs] and [righttabs] of your wincmd.ini. The currently open tabs are saved in the [left] and [right] sections. This is the same as setting Savepath=1 in the [Configuration] section of your wincmd.ini file.

You need to select "Configuration" -> "Options..." -> "Operation" -> "Save on exit" -> "Directories" if you want TC to save the currently displayed Folder Tabs between sessions.

The Tabstop Header positions are saved in: [AllResolutions] Tabstops (if [Configuration] ResolutionSpecific=0 is set) otherwise it is saved in [1920x1080 (8x16)] Tabstops (where 1920x1080 (8x16) is the resolution of your screen - one section for each resolution). The tabstop headers are also saved in the [Tabstops] section (for use when switching to a new screen resolutions that has not yet been stored).
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar