[Forum REQ] IMG tag support

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

icfu wrote: The thumbnail is automatically created by imageshack.us when the image is big enough. You don't need a mod for that, just enable image linking.
This forum is preaty borring without images. So I supprot this of course.... but image size depeniding on provider is not very wise solution because I, Xtrician, and some others will not use some specific image hosts because I have one of my own, and Xtrican can have them all so why setting that constraints.

The possible solution is to modify scirpt to handle thumbnail creation, or, much better, Ghisler to have another server for Images - the poster can have attachement field to upload image directly from his computer, image is saved on THE server which have installed some of the image preporcessors that will create thumbnails and link to zoom view. This way, images will not be lost later when poster decides after some months or years that nobody needs that picture any more and delete it from his server or from ImageShacke becuase he needs more space for his vacations shots. This will also create full multimedia ever lasting TC forum knowledge base without depending on other sources.
Habemus majkam!
corny

Post by *corny »

It would be nice if the attachment mod was implemented in this forum. For images, this mod is able to create real thumbnails.
Regards,
Cornelis
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

but image size depeniding on provider is not very wise solution
When inline linking of images is enabled, you can use whatever provider you like, noone forces you to use http://imageshack.us. I mentioned this only because I like its features, performance and comfort of usage.

All I do is activate my Opera sidebar and upload the image, the rest is done by imageshack.us.

You are right of course that the best solution would be an image server sponsored by ghisler but regarding that this forum's performance already sucks like hell from time to time and ghisler doesn't want to have images in his daily forum backups for size and legal reasons, I think an external solution for the beginning would be better than having no images at all.

The problem with "the image server by ghisler" is the impressive amount of space pictures can eat, this is why on http://3dwin.net/ the amount of attachments that each member is allowed to upload, is limited to 20MB and I bet my ass that ghisler would limit the space for sure too, you can forget lifetime image accessibility.

I also don't like lifetime accessibility myself, I want to stay in control of what I want people to see forever and what not.

Icfu
This account is for sale
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Icfu, U are well aware that now you can get as much space as U want for small money. If one jpg is lets say 100 K in the worst scenario, U can have 50 000 pictures on 5 GB account which U can get for 30$ per year.

If he add 100$ more he can purchase space that can store about million pictures.... that is more pictures TC will EVER need, for as small price as <100E per year, not to mention that at the begiining, until the first 50 000 pics are reached it will be 15E per year... funny....... lets say he get another 15E to get "better transfer"....

I am not going to continue because prices are so ridiculous for maker of Total Commander....

There are many solutions for this stupid/aftificial problem, all of which can be solved with 1 hour thinking at the morrning...

BUT, as we all know, people tends to complicate everything here, so I will say no more about this topic... I guess it is just life difference between people THERE and people HERE and people THERE and people in Switz.... or life would be borring, isn't that right ?
Habemus majkam!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Sure, you are right. ghisler has for sure earned enough money to buy half of the canton he lives in, but still he runs phpBB on this forum because it's free.

I won't continue too as this is just too ridiculuos to be even discussed. TC forum is "special" in many ways, never seen that much restrictions as here. I start getting tired again, maybe it's time for another break for some months to load my batteries again.

Icfu
This account is for sale
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

well, you don't see me around as often as in the beginning... I was usualy 4, 5 hours a day on this forum, now 10 minutes maximum....
(just to check if there are any new OT threads.. I got tired of restrictions and same questions and borring moderators and especialy yellow dots...)

I am in the break already...
I came to this forum with very strong will to improve and suggest as a 10 years user of TC which is developer itself. I prometed TC everywhere I go... Now, that is not true anymore.

The only good thing about this forum now, is that Ghisler broke my illusions..... and of course some cool users here.... you know already.
Habemus majkam!
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

icfu wrote:I won't continue too as this is just too ridiculuos to be even discussed. TC forum is "special" in many ways, never seen that much restrictions as here.
At least we can exagerrate sometimes without having our thread closed ;)

Check the Posting Rules on the Opera boards *chuckle*
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

Yah, say what you like but 1 picture is still worth 1000 words, especially if those words are badly mangled and have to be read from right to left (hi Lectrician, how's it hangin', dude?)! :wink:

Some restricted-sized images would sure be nice. Wouldn't take any more effort to scan than reading the post in the first place.

I confess to knowing nuts about forum software and even less about RSS feed stuff. Would someone please explain how is it I get to see embedded images in the RSS preview panel in Opera and not in the forum proper? I thought the feed was just a reflection of the post so it really ought not to show images if images are blocked, right?

[OT] Hey majki, I have this mysterious ugly yellow dot on my ***. Do you think it's a software or a hardware problem? Shall I send you an image? :mrgreen: [/OT]
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

SQUIRE wrote: Would someone please explain how is it I get to see embedded images in the RSS preview panel in Opera and not in the forum proper? I thought the feed was just a reflection of the post so it really ought not to show images if images are blocked, right?
It is quite simple: Here's the code Image: http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/2532/estherbadet1sz.jpg
What means for the forumssoftware nothing but palin text. For Opera RSS Reader it means: The Text between the img Tags is the url to an image that should be placed within the post. So you come to see the picture of my daughter without actually clicking on th link, do you?

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

Ah, thanks Sheepdog - to the rescue again! So it's Opera doing the business and not the RSS. I was under the misapprehension that Ghisler's feed controlled everything. I must keep taking the tablets... :wink:

That sort of half-solves the problem of seeing images in the post, but of course, they don't persist in the actual forum post.

BTW, hope it was a very nice sunny day for your daughter! :D
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

SQUIRE wrote:Hey majki, I have this mysterious ugly yellow dot on my ***. Do you think it's a software or a hardware problem
SQUIRE wrote: I must keep taking the tablets...
I think you must stop taking tablets... have you read side effects ? Did they mention yellow dots on the *** ?
Habemus majkam!
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

[OT]
Hahaha, I shall go back and read the fine print carefully, Dr. Majkinator and examine the evidence carefully with a magnifying glass! 8)

Heh, I can already hear Hacker sharpening his pruning saw and getting ready to consign this post where the sun don't shine.

Before he does so, I must tell you that I've just been watching the queen of the Nurburgring, Sabine Schmitt, driving round the Ring in a BMW M5 and I think that may have caused the yellow spots to appear before my eyes. Look at this!! It's a good thing that I'm wearing brown underpants. :lol:
[/OT]
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Images are allowed in the wiki now only because they are stored on the server, and can be overwritten/deleted easily. I have also limited their size. I may try to use a similar solution here in the forum.
ghisler has for sure earned enough money to buy half of the canton he lives in, but still he runs phpBB on this forum because it's free.
That's not the reason - I'm using phpbb because I can mod it easily myself, both with public mods and my own. Especially the multi-language interface (English, German and French) like my main page and the quick reply box were major requirements.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

What about first part of that quote :?:
Habemus majkam!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

What about first part of that quote
Sorry, to which post are you referring to?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com