[BUG] Error "copying" directories from within arch

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

pol098

[BUG] Error "copying" directories from within arch

Post by *pol098 »

This happens with ZIP and RAR files at least; haven't checked with other formats. All versions of Total Commander since about 2000 to 2.54. Open a ZIP file with subdirectories in the left-hand pane. "Copy" a non-empty directory to the right-hand pane. An empty directory of the same name is created in the right-hand pane, but all the files in the subdirectory are "copied" to the right-hand pane, not to the subdirectory in it. ("Copy" really means "extract".)

Example: ARCHIVE.ZIP contains no files at root level, but has a directory SUB1 which contains SUB1FILE1, SUB1FILE2, .... Open ARCHIVE.ZIP, and "copy" SUB1 to the right-hand pane.

The rh pane will contain an empty directory SUB1 and files SUB1FILE1, SUB1FILE2, ....

Workaround: open the archive in an archive manager such as WinRAR, and drag the directory from there to the TC pane.
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Re: [BUG] Error "copying" directories from within

Post by *Sheepdog »

pol098 wrote:"Copy" a non-empty directory to the right-hand pane. An empty directory of the same name is created in the right-hand pane, but all the files in the subdirectory are "copied" to the right-hand pane, not to the subdirectory in it.
There is a tickbox below the target name edit box:

"Unpack path names if stored with files"

This has to be checked to avoid the onjected behavior.

sheepdog
Last edited by Sheepdog on 2006-02-05, 09:11 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
Clo

Option and handle---

Post by *Clo »

:) Hello !

- The Sheepdog's advice is basic… :wink:

- Please, just watch the video inside this RAR archive. It's the way in which I work by Drag & Drop for a looong while, no problem… using only the two panels of TC, nothing else !

:mrgreen: Kind regards,
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
pol098

Re: Option and handle---

Post by *pol098 »

Many thanks for the responses. This is a problem that has affected me for years! I'd summarise the procedure for anyone who comes across this thread:

When extracting files from an archive using TC's copy procedure, files in a subdirectory may be placed at the same level as the subdirectory, instead of within it. This depends upon a "sticky" TC setting.

If you have this problem, the next time you copy from an archive, use the F5 key (not drag&drop or context menu) and tick "Unpack path names if stored with files" (this option only shows if copying from an archive). While there doesn't appear to be a TC configuration option to set it, the option is "sticky" and will remain set for future copy operations, even with drag&drop or context menu.

Alternatively, in \WINDOWS\WINCMD.INI (Config/Change settings file directly), edit the ExtractPathInZIP line to read:
ExtractPathInZIP=1
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

You may also use drag'n drop. Even if you disabled:

Configuration->Options->Misc.:Get Confirmation before:Drag&Drop(copying files with mouse)

the dilalog appears, where you may set "Unpack path names if stored with files" if desired.

I just tested it and it works already in Windows Commander 3.03.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
iElectric

Post by *iElectric »

I don't want to open a new topic.. My problem is similar to this one.

I have multi rars in directory. Extensions are: .rar, .r01, .r02...

The problem is when i open .rar and unpack it somewhere, just some files get transfered, not all. So i need to open it with Winrar itself to extract all files.

I hope you understand what i mean, else i can explain it another way.

EDIT: here is a explanation from other guy: http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=5672
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

iElectric,
The problem is when i open .rar and unpack it somewhere
Don't enter the archive but unpack it by placing the cursor on the .rar file and pressing Alt-F9. :)
(Not sure if the Alt-F9 also works if you enter the archive and select all files/dirs in it, try it. ;) )

HTH
Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Use fhRAR plugin for multivolume RAR archives:
http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=8137

Icfu
This account is for sale
iElectric

Post by *iElectric »

Thanks icfu, exactly what i was looking for.