FTP - Directories with a space in the name appear empty

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

TommyCP

FTP - Directories with a space in the name appear empty

Post by *TommyCP »

First of all many thanks for the new version of TC Pocket! I've been playing with the app for a while, and it seems pretty solid/bugfree for a 'public beta 1'. Great work and thanks for the new features (especially the FTP symlink support)!

In addition I'd like to report an issue I encountered with TC Pocket. While using the FTP-client, I found that when I enter a directory with a space in its name, like "my music", the contents of that directory is not being displayed (in other words, the directory appears to be empty).

I observed the issue both with TC Pocket 2.0 and TC Pocket 2.5 PB1.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

This is a known problem, which cannot be solved at this time (except on the server side). Reason: The CE version does NOT change to a directory and then read its contents. Instead, it requests the directory content via an absolute path, e.g.
LIST /pub/username/otherdir

The problem now is that some servers do not understand this command if it contains a space, e.g.
LIST /dir with spaces

I also tried
LIST "/dir with spaces"

but this failed too. Perhaps you have a better idea?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
TommyCP

Post by *TommyCP »

I've been trying things like LIST "dir\\ with\\ spaces", but have been unable to find out how to make this work.

After this, I searched the web, and found this document which adresses the problem. The authour also mentions that substituting LIST for NLST works for him (although I might have misinterpreted a few things, since programming, networking, etc. aren't exactly my cup of tea). It's the best thing I could find short of a real solution.

I would have liked to be more helpfull, but alas... :)
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

The linked document just says that LIST and NLST -la do not work. NLST alone is useless, it just lists the names...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
TommyCP

Post by *TommyCP »

Hm... bummer. :(