Quick Search behavior

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

Balderstrom wrote:Also, I would prefer "Return" to close the QuickSearch.
Having Return work on the selected file (like it is now) seems logical to me.

I already redefined some keys to work from quick search like if the dialog was already closed (e.g. Alt, Home, End, PgDn, ^Enter, ^r).
I think this would do the change you suggest:

Code: Select all

#IfWinActive, QUICKSEARCH ahk_class TQUICKSEARCH
	Enter::
		Send, {ESC}
		Return
Who the hell is General Failure, and why is he reading my disk?
-- TC starter menu: Fast yet descriptive command access!
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

WBTMagnum wrote:* Pressing back space in a condensed view, goes back to normal view, instead of the parent directory.
Support for this one.
Quick Filter feels like viewing contents of an archive, where backspace is the way out.
Samuel
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Samuel »

* Pressing back space in a condensed view, goes back to normal view, instead of the parent directory.
Support too. Christian can you consider this?
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

No its more like,

Code: Select all

#ifWinActive, ahk_class TQUICKSEARCH
{
	Enter::Send, {ESC}
return
}
But thanks. Have had that implemented since I mentioned it here. It's much more intuitive, enter closes the quicksearch - just like in every other dialog in almost every other program, Enter closes the dialog.
Enter doesn't CLEAR the quicksearch. So its merely a matter of pressing Enter a second time if that was yer intention.
With the above, you still need to press ESC (after pressing enter) to clear the quicksearch and reset the filelist to normal.
*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
StatusQuo
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StatusQuo »

2Balderstrom
No its more like,
I see you already worked it out. :) But mine works, too, just a matter of taste. It's tested and I have some others running like that.

[Edit:] I confess that the first part of "QUICKSEARCH ahk_class TQUICKSEARCH" can be left out - but since this isn't translated in the german version, I left it in...
ouzoWTF

Post by *ouzoWTF »

WBTMagnum wrote:* Pressing back space in a condensed view, goes back to normal view, instead of the parent directory.
Support++ !!!!
Single User Licence #201763
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

I agree about the "backspace" issue, though I think its more of a patch onto what is basically a broken Hotkey system.
If TC internally provided a way to specify when a given HotKey should function, it would thus allow you to define multiple actions for a single Hotkey based on context.

I.E. Just like how you can't HotKey Left/Right keys or Shift+Left/Right (within TC) to something like focus left|right (pane) - without messing up using left/right in inplace rename or edit boxes.

In many instances this can be fixed with AHK, but it would be nice for it to be an internal solution. As far as I know, AHK can't really do the BackSpace override as there's no real way for it to know that TC is currently filtering the FileList.

With just a handful of Rules, like "Only When FileList is active" or "When [XX] Filter has been applied", or When [x] control has focus -- the TC Hotkey system would be light years beyond any other program's internal solution (that I know of).
gewone

Post by *gewone »

Earlier today I (against better knowing) started a new thread about this particular subject - the quicksearch behavior. It's obviously (go figure) deleted since it already existed one. I'm glad, to say the least, that I'm not the only one who's slightly disappointed on the "new improved" qsearch. It bothers me, really. I use Shanny's TCEE visual skin w/ it's shortcut keys n stuffs. Have been using it for ages. To my point now, I use -> (right arrow) to enter archives and folder trees, much(!) more than move my finger up to the RETURN button. Now, I am forced to use the enter button at least once, or I'm "stuck" in the search string. This is really really really really bad for me ;'( I'm crying myself to sleep, almost. It would be much appreciated if you could add some "Letters - with OLD search dialog" option until v7.51..? ;)
Balderstrom
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Balderstrom »

*BLINK* TC9 Added WM_COPYDATA and WM_USER queries for scripting.
gewone

Post by *gewone »

Balderstrom wrote:Your thread is right here: http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=24017
OMG I'm so confused, even managed to lose track own thread, or assume it was deleted, anyways. Thanks for quick answers Balderstrom. Yeah. I first switched over to "Letters only". Now I'm able to quick-search and "->" into subfolders/archives. However(!), the con is that I can no longer type in wildcard strings (ie. *.txt) and bump around results with cursor up/dn keys; and then simply cursor right ("->") into selected item. It's a huge matter of trade-offs! ;P Old behavior would really be a great thing.
gewone

Post by *gewone »

Also, might I add, I'm really used to the possibility of at any time interrupt the QSearch by ALT+D (adress field) thus enter a path to CD to. Now ALT+D will not respond until I've either pressed ESC or RETURN ;'( I'm so sad, sad sad sad, crying out a river..
gewone

Post by *gewone »

Hehe, sorry about re-post but now it struck me again. I blaze around thru 'em directory trees in TC. I type a string in the Quicksearch dialog box, and skip (up/dn keys) to the particular one to be chosen.

Now I want to bring selected dir up in other panel. I used to be able to just hit CTRL+left/right, unsure of whether this hotkey is TCEE-specific, but even if it is, the issue functionality remains.

Now, when i press (in this case) CTRL+Left nothing happens. I have to first press ESC to sort of flee the search dialog box, first then after I'm "free".

So, dearest Christian Ghisler, since I cannot see how the functionality of this here that I'm mentioning could harm/interfere/conflict with other functions, it (to me) sounds like a "all win deal" to re-enable the "press any function key to quit search dialog"-behaviour till 7.51(?).

Regards~ ;)