[8.0ß11-x64] Computers shown also in Network Neighborhood

Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

2) This request would allow to show "Network" folder immediately, without having to wait for long 2 minutes while the list of computers is being fetched. The name "Network" is static and does not contain workgroup name, so you could display it (and allow to go into it) even when the list of computers is not yet ready.
Support.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

1) ???

2) If I show it and the user tries to open it, it would certainly take the same time as it takes to show the shares in nethood directly...

Btw, I'm, cosidering to show the contents of the new subfolder directly in TC's network neighborhood, but I fear that this will not work on all Windows versions (especially future versions)...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

1) It's more convenient to me (and, as you can see, for many other users) to separate FS-plugins from computers instead of mixing them together inside TC's "Network Neighborhood" folder.
ghisler(Author) wrote:2) If I show it and the user tries to open it, it would certainly take the same time as it takes to show the shares in nethood directly...
2) Yes, but at least he will definitely know that he opened network and just need to wait for some time. As for now, the user opens Network Neighborhood, and — oops! — there is NO network at all. The first instinctive reaction is fear: what happened, where is network? Even if he knows the real reason, it takes time to remember all the intricacies of working with network in Vista/7. OK, now user remembered what's all this about, and he needs to switch away from TC to do something else (we hardly expect him to sit and stare into the screen for 2 minutes doing nothing, right?) and to return into TC later, when the list is finally ready. After some time he returns, and now network items are there, but to open them it is necessary to look through the full list of the plugins, and computers, and network groups to find the needed element. Again, loss of nerves and time.

Yes, I know, Quick search, etc., but it definitely requires more efforts than if there were just a Network folder where user could enter from the very beginning, leave it (to wait for reading computers) and then return into TC to see just the list of computers — exactly what he indended to work with, nothing more, nothing less.

ghisler(Author) wrote:Btw, I'm, cosidering to show the contents of the new subfolder directly in TC's network neighborhood, but I fear that this will not work on all Windows versions (especially future versions)...
Please, optionally! Or, alternatively, there could be two separate buttons to show FS plugins and Network components as two different virtual folders.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

1) It's more convenient to me (and, as you can see, for many other users) to separate FS-plugins from computers instead of mixing them together inside TC's "Network Neighborhood" folder.
I'm sorry but the network shares do belong into that folder, since it's called "Network Neighborhood". I don't agree to put them in subfolders. It would be convenient to have the plugins elsewhere, but this would require so many changes that it's not feasible.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I'm sorry but the network shares do belong into that folder, since it's called "Network Neighborhood". I don't agree to put them in subfolders.
They are already in subfolders in WinXP and earlier Windows versions. And since appearance of Vista, users have been asking for the same folders configuration in TC, because it's what they are used to and what they like. Do you really think that making an option to allow users to customize TC to their needs and customs is so bad? :?
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

It would be too radical to change that. Maybe as an option via wincmd.ini...
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Maybe as an option via wincmd.ini...
That's all I ask for.

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2MVV
No mess with FX-plugins, all network divided into separate subdir.
Well ok but FX plugins should not be placed in network neighborhood. I don't understand why Ghisler is trying to solve the problem this way. Creating a subdir just makes accessing network locatings more cumbersome although it's quite clear what should be listed in network neighborhood.
It would be convenient to have the plugins elsewhere, but this would require so many changes that it's not feasible.
I agree that this would be better. Then please put it on your todo list for 8.5 instead of implementing a quick solution right now.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

2Flint
I have added an option to beta 12 now.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Lefteous wrote:
It would be convenient to have the plugins elsewhere, but this would require so many changes that it's not feasible.
I agree that this would be better. Then please put it on your todo list for 8.5 instead of implementing a quick solution right now.
I've suggested to move FS plugins to folder \\\ (every FS plugin path already starts with \\\), but with no luck.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author) wrote:I have added an option to beta 12 now.
Thank you very much! As a temporary solution NethoodStyle=2 looks very good.

Two notes:

1) I agree to Lefteous and MVV that separate folder for FS plugins would be much better. Of course since it requires too many changes I don't insist on implementing it in 8.0, but please, consider it as a feature request for the next major versions.

2) In NethoodStyle=2 mode the Network folder is working in synchronous mode, that is TC hangs completely while the list of computers is being fetched. Is it possible to implement it the same way as in 0 or 1 modes, asynchronously?

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately all subfolders of the network neighborhood are currently synchronous - only the nethood itself can be cached at this time.
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

If I use NethoodStyle=2 under Win Xp (32bit) ONLY filesystem plugins are shown - "Hele Netværket" ("Entire Network" in Danish) is NOT shown - is that on purpose?

I mean under Win 7 "Netværk (WORKGROUP)" is shown when NethoodStyle=2 is used - and gives me the possibility to access the network, but that is not posible under Win XP with NethoodStyle=2.
License #524 (1994)
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This is currently Vista+7 only. I will check whether I can support it on XP too, although it's quite pointless (XP already uses XP style nethood).
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

although it's quite pointless (XP already uses XP style nethood)
Otherwise just let NethoodStyle=2 do the same as NethoodStyle=1 under Windows XP.
License #524 (1994)