Bug reports will be moved here when the described bug has been fixed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Flint
Power Member
Power Member

[8.0ß11-x64] Computers shown also in Network Neighborhood

Post by *Flint »

I tried 8.0β11 in Windows 7 x64, and here are my impressions:

1. I opened Network Neighborhood, and there was no "Entire Network" folder. I had to wait for a couple of minutes, until all computers were found, and only then this folder appeared.

2. When TC retrieved the list of the computers, they all appeared also in the root of Network Neighborhood, along with "Entire Network" folder. Is it intentional or a bug? I suppose, this behaviour eliminates all the advantages the "Entire Network" folder should have introduced…

<Added>
Oops, sorry, wrong subforum. :( Moderators, please, move it into TC8.0 bug reports (English).
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

I suppose, this behaviour eliminates all the advantages the "Entire Network" folder should have introduced…
What are the intended advantages?
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Lefteous wrote:
I suppose, this behaviour eliminates all the advantages the "Entire Network" folder should have introduced…
What are the intended advantages?
No mess with FX-plugins, all network divided into separate subdir.
Sob
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sob »

I would expect "Entire Network" to appear in root (now it's subfolder in "Network (GROUPNAME)" and to be available immediately, not only after computers are discovered.

Also it seems that "Network (GROUPNAME)" has "encrypted" attribute for TC, because it shows it in green here and I have green set only for NTFS encrypted files/folders.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

MVV wrote:
Lefteous wrote:What are the intended advantages?
No mess with FS-plugins, all network divided into separate subdir.
Exactly.
Sob wrote:Also it seems that "Network (GROUPNAME)" has "encrypted" attribute for TC, because it shows it in green here and I have green set only for NTFS encrypted files/folders.
Ah, yes. I noticed it too but forgot to create a report…
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

[mod]Moved to TC 8.0 bug reports. I am disappointed, Flint. :P

Hacker (Moderator)[/mod]
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Hacker wrote:I am disappointed, Flint.
I'm in sackcloth and ashes… :roll:

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

1. I opened Network Neighborhood, and there was no "Entire Network" folder.
This does not exist on Windows 7.

I have added a new item "Network (Groupname)" to beta 11 which should contain the "Entire Network". Unfortunately it's impossible to show "Entire Network" in the nethood directly because there is no common address for it (it's system- and even language-dependent).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author)
Sorry, "Network (Groupname)" is what I meant. Until the list of computers is fetched, this folder does not appear in the Network Neighborhood at all. I think it should be shown always, and only when the user enters it, the list of computers should be fetched and displayed.

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry, that's not how it works. It wouldn't be faster this way, and the slow function would only be started when the user double clicks it. Doing it in a background thread is much more convenient.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author) wrote:Doing it in a background thread is much more convenient.
OK, let it run in background, run it immediately, etc., that's not the point. The main point was, why not show the "Network" folder from the very beginning? Why should user wait before he's able to open the list of network computers? If the problem is that you don't know workgroup names before fetching the list, then it's better to display the static name, just "Network", and put all workgroups inside it. Here's a sketch of how I see it should work:

1) User opens "Network Neighborhood" in TC. Inside he sees the list of FS-plugins, the virtual folder "Network" (without workgroup name), and nothing else. At the same moment TC starts reading the list of available computers, but does not show them in this list. Only the "Network" folder, nothing more.
2) When user opens the Network folder, inside he sees the list of folders with names of workgroups that TC was able to find in the network, plus the <Refresh> command. If the list of computers is not yet ready, the contents is only <Refresh>, and the workgroups appear when the list is obtained.
3) When a workgroup is opened, it contains the list of computers that belong to it.

That's all, plain and simple. Are there any problems implementing it this way? Or some objections on usability?

Of course, I was talking here about Vista+ systems only, in XP and below everything should remain the way it is now. Actually, what I described here was indended to simulate the pre-Vista behavior as much as possible (minus excessive "Microsoft Windows Network" and other virtual folders that only stay on the way).

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately it's not working that way. When you open the "Network folder", TC has to query a different location than the "Network Neighborhood" of Vista/7. This is necessary because the "Network Neighborhood" does not return the "Entire Network" link, the other location does.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author)
Sorry, I don't quite understand the reasoning…
In Vista/7 you are fetching the list of computers anyway, but for some reason list them twice: first, in the root of TC's virtual folder "Network Neighborhood", together with all FS plugins and "Network (WORKGROUP)", and, second, inside the "Network Neighborhood\Network (WORKGROUP)" subfolder. So, the questions are:

1) Why this duplication? Why not move all the computers inside the Network subfolder and avoid listing them among the plugins?

2) Why not create a statically-named "Network" subfolder (without adding the "WORKGROUP", so that users did not have to wait until the list of computers is fetched), show this subfolder in the "Network Neighborhood" from the beginning, and put all the network-related items inside it?

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

1) I could indeed do this, but I didn't want to change that functionality. I just wanted to add the possibility to see the "Entire Network" link.

2) What's the difference to 1?
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

ghisler(Author)
1) Could you please add it optionally, so that users were finally able to avoid meshing computers and plugins in modern systems, and could see and navigate approximately the same organization of items as in older Windows versions?

2) This request would allow to show "Network" folder immediately, without having to wait for long 2 minutes while the list of computers is being fetched. The name "Network" is static and does not contain workgroup name, so you could display it (and allow to go into it) even when the list of computers is not yet ready.