It's time to release TC 9.0?

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

It doesn't matter how easy things can be found in a ribbon UI. It's so damn U G L Y ! :evil: All kind of controls are places in different sizes and in a really chaotic layout.

I think just menu buttons and split buttons would do the job.
Last edited by Lefteous on 2015-04-09, 07:43 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
korg250

Post by *korg250 »

Lefteous wrote:It doesn't matter how easy things can be find in a ribbon UI. It's so damn U G L Y ! :evil: All kind of controls are places in different sizes and in a really chaotic layout.

I think just menu buttons and split buttons would do the job.
I don't find the layout chaotic, but I knew I would not find supporters to the ribbon here.

I prefer to discuss function over form, not the way around.
go vegan!
seb-
Location: DE\BN - only part time TC user after switching to Linux ;)

Post by *seb- »

Sorry in advance to annoy with this now ;-)

I know that this is much about new and missing features. But since i changed over to desktop linux recently and i am already searching for a decent commander for this OS, my current biggest wish to Christian would be to consider a linux port.

Dont come up with wine. It works okayish but thats it. I wouldnt mind a second license and i think and hope others wouldnt too.

There is a lot of good suggestions in this and other threads, but having to run am incomplete TC in wine bothers me the most at the moment and TC looks almost perfect to me otherwise.

There is no real native alternative. And it is hard for me to comprehend that there is soo much great tools and applications in the distros repositories but out of the 10something commander style filemanagers not one can persuade me.

Thanks for reading, sorry to bring something up which might not be the majorities need.

Tl;dr: linux port please.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2korg250
Please take a look here:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=20763

Long ago I had made "UI version of TC" for fun. It looked bad and I can only agree with Lefteous in this regard.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

fenix_productions wrote:Long ago I had made "UI version of TC" for fun. It looked bad and I can only agree with Lefteous in this regard.
BTW there is a nice feature in that monster: a drop-down list of packers to pack files to. Many people find annoying selecting packer type in pack dialog (it requires pointing with mouse and one or two clicks; recent topic example).
So ability to create a command that will open dialog with exact packer preselected (CopyTree, DiskDirExtended or some archive type) would be handy. Perhaps displaying selected packer in a dialog title would be useful too.
dindog

Post by *dindog »

is this a feature request or poll thread?

The most wanted things I want is a Unicode supported Multiarc plugin, there are so many different archiver out there and most of them just don't have corresponding plugin for TC.

Mulitarc is not feature full, but enough for daily use... if the archive is ASCII name only.

The other thing I wants is 2 or more HASH output one time.
If I want both MD5 and SHA of a file, I will have to run hash twice, but most of the time was waste by hard disk IO because TC has to read same file 2 times.
j7n

Post by *j7n »

JohnTC wrote:* More discoverable

I write myself notes on how I customized this or that, but still, every few years I have to recreate it for some reason... I don't actually mind editing config files...
Indeed. I have seen one or two TC mods on this website with additional menus. Problem here is that the mod must be separately updated and installed, and I can't refer to its menus to walk through another user on how to do a function, or use a vanilla TC on another machine after being accustomed to the mod.

I think INI files are quite undiscoverable. :shock: We don't know the option exists until we read about it somewhere on the internet. I think most advanced settings aren't initially added to the INI file with a default value. Unless the property is clearly boolean, the meaning of its values is often unclear after some time has passed since we read about it. For example NewStyleProgress. Unlike most other software, I think TC has done away with needing a restart to apply the settings. That is good.

A generic listview of the complete set of all advanced, formerly INI-only settings would be welcome. It should include a short description of the more ambiguous options (quickly read from a table, not a context help-file), and be searchable. The advanced settings window of µTorrent is a good example of a listview, as is Cockos Reaper settings for the help hint in bottom left corner and searchability through the entire dialog(!).

I still think that commonly used options should remain spatially organized on dialogs, with different pages/tabs easily identifyable visually (perhaps somewhat what the Ribbon tries to achieve on toolbars, but what has been part of Preferences dialogs for ages), unlike some earlier suggestions of a completely uniform settings window containing only listboxes. (The screenshot posted took example of another file manager, I can't find it.)
JohnTC wrote: * Swappable interface

It would be really cool if all the shortcut keys were easily configurable and easily replaceable.
You can already do that
I also requested presets for the keyboard layout a while ago. The issue here is that more than one key has to be customized to make TC Windows-native (otoh, Search F3, Reread source F5); and it is cumbersome to make the modification repeatedly, when TC is installed onto a new machine. Though considerably less so with the new searchable command browser.
* Program launcher
An OS-independed Start menu, which can't be taken away. Yes.

Inclusion of a text editor and an image viewer is one step into the territory of feature creep. Although I've indeed seen advanced file management with mass rename being discussed on the IrfanView forums. I was about to chip in saying that they needed TC, when a senior member had surprisingly already solved the problem. Maybe bloat could be averted with a plugin architecture for graphics formats, which are quite numerous. EmEditor is quite good. Like TC, it is compatible with all OS and can show Unicode on all of them. Although earlier versions made heavy use of the Registry.
#148174 Personal license
Running Total Commander v8.52a
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

j7n wrote:A generic listview of the complete set of all advanced, formerly INI-only settings would be welcome.
Ever tried pressing F1? There is a section 4.b, you know…
Besides, Ultra TC Configuration Editor might be of help.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

2j7n
j7n wrote: For example NewStyleProgress.
This was an april fools day hoax. :D

Regards
Holger
Phr3d

suggestion for file copy/move messages

Post by *Phr3d »

In addition to the requests for Any additional information that the F2/queue background can provide, can I make a suggestion? I originally asked about this 5 years ago, the dreaded "user tell me what to do" popups about read only's etc, and I use the options that you thoughtfully added.
Tonight, I set about copying 6TB of files, basically a complete rework of our directories to a RAID 10. As luck would have it, I needed to return to the office for a thumb-drive, and there it is: "the file blah blah exceeds 256 (or whatever) characters, what to do?"
Ouch, 8 hours of down-time lost for something completely unimportant.

Master Ghisler, would it be possible to move problem files to the end of the queue? i.e., quick exam and move to bottom, or if no user reply after x seconds, move on to the important work. Hell I'd settle for a pop-up After the Real work was completed stating "hey, these files are crap and I can't work with them, but I completed 99.99% of what you asked" and include a list of the offending files.

Sorry I went on so long, but there's No way that this transfer can complete by six am, and I have no idea how many files I -can- send as there's no bulk time estimate - F2 is the Only way to manipulate Many directories on Many drives, and one of my main uses of TC.

Thank you sir, for your time and herculean efforts.
carpe` cervesi
knf (35402)
Ovg
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Ovg »

2Phr3d

ini file settings:
SkippedFileCopy=1

1: First copy all files where the user doesn't need to be asked and skip all with errors, ask at the end
0: Copy all files in order, ask for confirmation when needed

Imho what you want
It's impossible to lead us astray for we don't care even to choose the way.
#259941, TC 11.01 x64, Windows 7 SP1 x64
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Ovg,
This is default parameter value. However it is a question if this feature work for extra long paths, using LongNameCopy=1 would be better perhaps.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2Phr3d
What you describe sounds strange. Even the question for very long paths should already be displayed at the end of the process.
Only those questions which are displayed in the first five seconds of the process are not postponed. So fast did you run away? ;-)
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

What you describe sounds strange. Even the question for very long paths should already be displayed at the end of the process.
Maybe Phr3d uses an old version of TC? (older than 8.50)
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Phr3d

Post by *Phr3d »

yep, missed the update - will apply to the .ini (8.01 here, no idea how)

The file names are resulting from new directory paths, we hadn't had this issue before. Much thanks for the quick reply! (went home after 200GB or so)
carpe` cervesi
knf (35402)