Request: improved progress bar for file operations

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Thunderchild

Request: improved progress bar for file operations

Post by *Thunderchild »

Hi again,

since it is already present in the desktop version, I wonder if the progress bar that is shown while copying files could be a little more precise, dealing with the following two issues:
  • showing the progress within a file. Copying a 10MB file to/from a storage card can take a dozen seconds and more.
  • when I copy a 10k text file and a 10MB movie in one go, the text file has the same effect on the bar as does the movie (each moves it by 50%).
PS.: Since there are alotta threads here which are in mixed German/English I 'd like to ask: what is the preferred language? Gibt es hier wen, der überhaupt kein Englisch versteht?

Grüezi ;o)
Gruß | Greetings | Quapla'
"All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

showing the progress within a file. Copying a 10MB file to/from a storage card can take a dozen seconds and more.
TC/CE 2.5 will support this, but unfortunately only on Windows Mobile 5. Why? Because the function CopyFileEx() which supports such a progress bar only exists on WM5, the older devices only have CopyFile() which does not support a progress bar.
when I copy a 10k text file and a 10MB movie in one go, the text file has the same effect on the bar as does the movie (each moves it by 50%).
The overall copy progress shows the progress by file, not by size.

The preferred language here is English, but since we have almost as many German users as others, questions in German will be answered here too.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Thunderchild

Post by *Thunderchild »

ghisler(Author) wrote:
showing the progress within a file. Copying a 10MB file to/from a storage card can take a dozen seconds and more.
TC/CE 2.5 will support this, but unfortunately only on Windows Mobile 5. Why? Because the function CopyFileEx() which supports such a progress bar only exists on WM5, the older devices only have CopyFile() which does not support a progress bar.
Interesting. It may be possible to fall back to ReadFile/WriteFile to "emulate" CopyFileEx ;-P
That way progress information would be quite easy to be obtained.
ghisler(Author) wrote:
when I copy a 10k text file and a 10MB movie in one go, the text file has the same effect on the bar as does the movie (each moves it by 50%).
The overall copy progress shows the progress by file, not by size.
Obviously. I was thinking about this because of the long times it can take the device to transfer bigger files. You'd get a better picture of the remaining time if the progress were proportional. After all, not a number of files is processed, but a certain amount of data.

I know, I know, it's nitpicking ;)
But still, it would be an improvement for all those non WM5ers.
Gruß | Greetings | Quapla'
"All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It may be possible to fall back to ReadFile/WriteFile to "emulate" CopyFileEx
I have indeed considered this, but it may lead to bad performance especially with flash disks, so I prefer to use the system function here.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com