[OT] Good Movie Spliting Tool

English support forum

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

[OT] Good Movie Spliting Tool

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Does anybody know one, but the one that will not recompress the movie, but just split it.

I currently know only Movie Spliter (http://www.movietoolbox.com/splitter.html) but it usualy don't work. When it works, it splits 700MB movie without quality loss for less then 1 minute. I need replacement for this, so if anybody know something....

thx.
Habemus majkam!
poiuytr

Post by *poiuytr »

May be VirtualDub can handle this.
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

Hi majki!

Why is your cat chewing bubble gum? :lol:

If you just mean to chop your movie file (or indeed any file) into N parts then HJSplit will do it.
But only part 1 can be watched without re-joining the whole file since it contains the header. HJSplit will also re-join the parts or you can use TC's combine files function.

I vaguely recall that VirtualDub will combine AVI segments but can't remember if it will output multiple segments.

[EDIT]
Just checked it and yes, it does split movie files into multiple segments each of which can be watched separately. This guy gives a nice clear explanation. VirtualDub's documentation is brief, to put it kindly.

According to him: "As a word of warning, please do not use AVIChop, Pecks Power Join or AVI Devil to try and chop an AVI because you are likely to get corrupt files." Apparently AVIChop has issues with XP.

Another free splitter is AVISplitCalc.
[/EDIT]

TmMPGEnc will also do what you want, especially for MPGs, but she don't come free, AFAIK.

Have a nice Belgrade Saturday! 8)
Last edited by SQUIRE on 2006-04-08, 14:46 UTC, edited 1 time in total.
roentgen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *roentgen »

I use AVIChop.exe. It is originally part of AceMegaCodecsPack but I just use those little tools that came with it :P
Splits very fast and each part is a stand alone movie by itself.
TC for Linux please!
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

hm.... non of them will do.

The reason I used MovieToolbox Movie Spliter is because I can add unlimited number of markers. The programs you mention can only split in unlimited number of equal parts, except some of them, which alow you to specify selection to be exported.

I dont know Virtual Dub but I need something quicker, some specialized app that will handle only this in best possible way, meaning that it will not have many problems with various codecs commonly encountered.

So, I need to set markers like this:

1. 00:00:00 - 1:14:00
2. 01:14:00 - 01:18:00
3. 01:18:00 - 02:23:00

and pres GO!

This whole split should also be fast, like, no more then 2 minutes +- function of movie time. Movie Spliter split in less then a minute, but every second movie crush the app.
Habemus majkam!
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

Ah so. You're out of luck with the freeware then - none have that kind of user-friendly interface.

Boilsoft's AVI/MPEG/ASF/WMV Splitter is very fast but only does one segment at a time.

The only one I've seen to do a batch split like you require is SplitMovie, but I've not tried it so no comment.
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Here is the screenshot of Movie Spliter: jump

I downloaded splitmovie, and I will give it a try.

Thx.
Habemus majkam!
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

SplitMovie does the job good, for now, but it is very slow. 700 MB movie is going to be cut in about 20 minutes ?!. I don't know why, since it is not doing any recompression or any unwelcome preprocessing by my opinion. Several movies I tried didn't crash the app, so that must be good.

AVI/MPEG/ASF/WMV Splitter is very good, except that one segment but that is usualy what I need: to cut some few MegaBytes that will overburn DVDs otherwise.

I tried 10 others but nothing interesting - Speed Video converter looked awesome, and very practical, but first movie I droped crashed it, so I removed it.

If somebody finds something better then those mentioned I would appriciate to share that info here.
Habemus majkam!
icfu
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *icfu »

Where is the f uckin' monkey? :mrgreen:

Icfu
This account is for sale
SQUIRE

Post by *SQUIRE »

Is that a code monkey I see before me? :lol:

I suspect SplitMovie is doing what VirtualDub does i.e. converting the file to a raw, intermediate format before splitting or re-encoding it, which is why it's slow. Maybe it's even using VD as a baseline?

Boilsoft's app doesn't care about re-encoding so it's not constrained in the same way.

At least it's good to know neither of them crash and burn, especially when we've waited 20-30 minutes for the result. :wink:
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

Where is the f uckin' monkey?
Can't you read ... the monkey will popup soon 8)
At least it's good to know neither of them crash and burn
Well, it is too early to say that, I tested it with 5 or 6 movies witch crashed and burned other apps I tried. But if I encounter some problems in my future use I will say it loud. For now, its good, its good.
Habemus majkam!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

[OT]
That's not a monkey! - That's a.....hmmm.... that is a.. hmmm .... I've got it - it's a majkinetor - natural wildlife of Transylvania - pet of the Yetis :roll:
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
majkinetor !
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *majkinetor ! »

[OT]
2 petermad
Who said it's a monkey? I didn't. I said, that the monkey will popup soon . Be patient.

The kitty is here just to smoke one...
Habemus majkam!
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

[OT]

Post by *petermad »

[OT]
2majkinetor !
Be patient
NO! I WANT TO SEE THE MONKEY NOW! - buhu :!: :x :(
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Clo

The monkey !

Post by *Clo »

2majkinetor !

:) Hi !

:P I want for the monkey too !!! Not a smoking donkey-cat ! :shock:

• My kitty has protested !

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials