My two cents about 2.5PB2

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Thunderchild

My two cents about 2.5PB2

Post by *Thunderchild »

Hi again

Being a very active TC/CE user, I found some issues:

On WM2003 the infrared doesn't work. After IAS_QUERY is shown in the status line, I get en error message "Error in function".
Also, the context menu on both WM2003 and WM5 is empty when I tap+hold on an empty area (usually, it contained at least "receive here by infrared".

- when I drag a file to the buttonbar that gets its icon from a system DLL (like text/office files that are assigned to standard office apps) there is no visible icon in the button bar. This is most likely due to the fact that those DLLs aren't readable by apps. Might it be possible to load the respective system icon like it is done in the normal file list?

Tree View:
- the right-key expands a folder only when it was previously expanded and collapsed egain.
- optical glitch: the tree has different distances to the four window borders

Properties dialogue:
- there is a graphical glitch: a small, 3px long vertical line below the label that shows the size of a file (I use 8pt system font, maybe it isn't visible with standard 9pt)

Some enhancement suggestions:
- configurable date format in the file lists
- function to calculate the used space of all subdirs of . (like Shift+Alt+Enter in Desktop-TC, I think)

Some more conceptual things:
- good you made it more compatible to WM5 by including OK and Cancel of dialogues into the menubar.
- this could be enhanced by using flat tabs and/or removing the WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE style from the tree view, which wastes valueable space anyway
- why is there a checkmark in the menu item for the virtual window modes? Also, this could be implemented as a sumbenu which holds the three alternatives, with the currently selected view mode marked by a bullet/checkmark. This would also remove the need for another dialogue.

Well, that's all for the moment :)

Ah I just noticed: very good that the font size settings now also work properly with 8pt fonts.
Gruß | Greetings | Quapla'
"All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by."
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

- function to calculate the used space of all subdirs of . (like Shift+Alt+Enter in Desktop-TC, I think)
It is present now: press Ctrl+Enter on the virtual keyboard, or add the button with the command 40029. This is described in the help file.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

Using TC 10.52 / Win10 x64
Thunderchild

Post by *Thunderchild »

Flint wrote:
It is present now: press Ctrl+Enter on the virtual keyboard, or add the button with the command 40029. This is described in the help file.
I'm impressed and ashamed simultaneously ;)
However, it doesn't work fully; I use the virtual keyboard with big keys, which doesn't provide a separate enter key. To get a new line, I just need to tap any key at hand and drag it down.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

On WM2003 the infrared doesn't work. After IAS_QUERY is shown
Try using send via Bluetooth, it also supports infrared. If it isn't shown on the menu, add a button with command 40032. Please let me know whether it works or not.
when I drag a file to the buttonbar that gets its icon from a system DLL (like text/office files that are assigned to standard office apps) there is no visible icon in the button bar.
This is unfortunately a bug in WM5 - all functions I tried to extract these icons failed miserably.
the right-key expands a folder only when it was previously expanded and collapsed egain.
Keyboard handling is entirely done by the tree view control here. Btw, on my CE2002 device it works, so it must be a bug in the WM5 treeview control.
optical glitch: the tree has different distances to the four window borders
This comes from the dynamic adaption to different screen sizes, sorry.
there is a graphical glitch: a small, 3px long vertical line below the label that shows the size of a file (I use 8pt system font, maybe it isn't visible with standard 9pt)
I don't have that - screenshot please!
I'm using the date format defined in control panel.
why is there a checkmark in the menu item for the virtual window modes?
To tell the user that this is the currently selected mode!
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

[img]http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/6392/clip1009mb.th.png[/img]

<edit>
PS: Sorry, it's in Russian, but this glitch appears independently of the language selected.
Flint's Homepage: Full TC Russification Package, VirtualDisk, NTFS Links, NoClose Replacer, and other stuff!

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

What you see here is a part of the edit box of the size field which is hidden on the left and right by the two comboboxes. I do specify a smaller size, but Windows Mobile enlarges the box by itself...
Thunderchild

Post by *Thunderchild »

ghisler(Author) wrote:
On WM2003 the infrared doesn't work. After IAS_QUERY is shown
Try using send via Bluetooth, it also supports infrared.
Just tested it; receiving by infrared works. As for the sending using command 40032: it detects the other device which is set to receive, but it doesn't send. The dialogue just disappears without an error message.
the right-key expands a folder only when it was previously expanded and collapsed egain.
Keyboard handling is entirely done by the tree view control here. Btw, on my CE2002 device it works, so it must be a bug in the WM5 treeview control.
In 2.0, a click on right even changes the focus to the OK button, if the currently selected node either has no child or is collapsed. So it's an enhancement already ;)
optical glitch: the tree has different distances to the four window borders
This comes from the dynamic adaption to different screen sizes, sorry.
That's one big problem with DLU; you can't position elements accurately by the pixel.
there is a graphical glitch: a small, 3px long vertical line
Like flint already posted: image 1. I also marked some other things; the icon is covering a part of the tab's left border, some controls' lines are occluded. This all might be caused by my smaller font size. I think it is possible to do something like this and still maintain compatibility to old devices. It would use the space better and alleviate some of the occlusions. Also, it would look a little more modern :P
I'm using the date format defined in control panel.
I see, then maybe an option to use either system default or an own format? :P
why is there a checkmark in the menu item for the virtual window modes?
To tell the user that this is the currently selected mode!
But this checkmark is always there, no matter which mode is selected. This was always a little confusing.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just tested it; receiving by infrared works. As for the sending using command 40032: it detects the other device which is set to receive, but it doesn't send. The dialogue just disappears without an error message.
If both methods (which are very different) fail, then it cannot work because of some other reason, e.g. unsupported protocol, non-existing target directory etc.
I think it is possible to do something like this and still maintain compatibility to old devices.
The problem is with 240x240 square screen devices, and when using landscape mode - I had to move the controls up to make everything fit in. The dozens of different screen formats on Windows CE are really a big mess...
But this checkmark is always there
Yes, but the text changes! I don't want to put all 3 options on the menu (there isn't enough space especially in landscape mode), so I found that this is the only solution to show the user the currently selected option. The alternative would a menu item "change screen layout" without any checkmark...
Thunderchild

Post by *Thunderchild »

ghisler(Author) wrote:
If both methods (which are very different) fail, then it cannot work because of some other reason, e.g. unsupported protocol, non-existing target directory etc.
I use IR on a regular basis and made inputs as usual (i.e. receiving via TC on the other device, which means that the directory does exist).
ghisler(Author) wrote:I had to move the controls up to make everything fit in. The dozens of different screen formats on Windows CE are really a big mess...
That's understandable. But then, what about those thick borders that need some space, too?
ghisler(Author) wrote:
But this checkmark is always there
Yes, but the text changes! I don't want to put all 3 options on the menu (there isn't enough space especially in landscape mode)
A submenu like ">>>>>" under "File"?
ghisler(Author) wrote:So I found that this is the only solution to show the user the currently selected option.
Right, I haven't thought of that aspect.

BTW.: Have you thought about providing CAB archives in the future? I know of some linux people who can't use the AS installer.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Couple of my comments...
This option maintains the visual representation of panels in TC. So, it should not be present in the "File" menu, but in the "View" menu.
BTW.: Have you thought about providing CAB archives in the future? I know of some linux people who can't use the AS installer.
Even if there would be no separate CAB archives, one may unpack the EXE (it's a usual SFX ZIP archive) and find necessary CAB files there.

Thunderchild

Post by *Thunderchild »

Flint wrote:Couple of my comments...
This option maintains the visual representation of panels in TC. So, it should not be present in the "File" menu, but in the "View" menu.

the "under file" refers to >>>>>. We were talking about the menu item for virtual window modes, so it would of course be placed there.
Flint
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Flint »

Ah, I thought you're suggesting to move this option to this submenu. :)
However, I think that current behaviour is better than such a submenu.

ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

I also prefer a dialog box because I can put some explanations on it - menu items cannot be very long on the PocketPC...
Thunderchild

Post by *Thunderchild »

There is still this bug about extracting a folder from a ZIP under WM5. The folder is created as a file which makes extracting files into it impossible. And this particular file is still blocked by TC afterwards. I made a small video about it (2MB) to visualise it.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Could you put a small sample zip file online with this problem? I cannot reproduce this error any more with WM5.

I have a sample file which seems to come from you, but it unpacks just fine here on the WM5 emulator!