My single gripe and biggest feature request

Support for PocketPC and WinCE version

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Ummagumma

My single gripe and biggest feature request

Post by *Ummagumma »

Hi,

I wasn't posting on this board, but I've been using TC for PPC for years.

I think it's the best file commander for PPC, period. I do have one gripe with it - the Find results window is not dynamic. That is, whenever I have to do a criteria-based search for files, I end up with a list that's "single use only" - if I make any changes to the files on the list (move / delete), it's reset & I'm back in the directory that I started from. So if I want to move around a bunch of text files, I have to re-run the search after every single file operation. This is the only reason that I still keep GSFinder on my PPC - it has a dynamic search list. Could you please consider adding this function to the otherwise fantastic application !
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Thanks for your suggestion. Currently the list isn't dynamic even on the desktop version of Total Commander, except when deleting files. The ist is reloaded on demand only, though. Would this help?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Ummagumma

Post by *Ummagumma »

Anything would help ;)

Ideally, the Search results window (that I happen to use quite often) will stay on & remain updated after move/copy/delete operations called from that window. This is how GS Finder does it, & it's the only reason I still keep it on my PDA. In all other respects I find TC superior.
sch01ar

Post by *sch01ar »

100% agree with this; that would be so useful. After using TC for years I've just discovered how powerful it really is, and got rid of GS Finder. (I could never really take the slight delay when GSFinder kicked in) However I really miss that grep-ing function that GSFinder has. Usage wise, with GFinder, I also used to make a directory of shortcuts of a particular search, to get over the fact that you can hold only set of search results at a time.
Ummagumma

Post by *Ummagumma »

There's just one more nice feature in GSFinder, it's the "Open with.." command. With a dynamic search and "Open with" TC would be THE perfect application !
Bandung

Post by *Bandung »

There is an "Open With" feature within Total Commander pc. On the toolbars there are two icons. One is the a Notepad like icon and the other is a ScrollPage icon.

If you tap and hold either icon long enough, a menu pops up with four (4) choices. a) Edit File, b) New file c) Define other and d) Set to default.

It is c) Define Other that permits you to select another application to use either as the "Editor" or the "Viewer"

To execute your alternative Editor or Viewer, you need to hilite the file that you want to open and then click on either of these two icons - the Notepad icon or the ScrollPage icon. Alternatively, you can use the MenuBar to choose "File" then the "View" or "Edit" submenu.

That's the good news. The bad news is that your choice of an alternate editor or viewer will not load files that are stored in the \Storage Card because of the space in the path. I just posted this as a bug. The builtin Editor and Viewer work correctly by the way. I think that's why no-one has reported this as a problem before.
Ummagumma

Post by *Ummagumma »

Thanks for the tip !

There's one more feature that I'm either unaware how to do or it's missing - it's the ability to copy complete file name.

I.e. if I have a file named Meeting.txt under \Documents\Work on SD card, I would like to somehow copy it's full name so that I could paste it in another application (\SD Card\Documents\Work\Meeting.txt).

If I use "copy to clipboard" function it gives me something like that:

cecmd file list (copy)
Total files: 1
\SD Card\Books\
Meeting.txt

Thanks !