Bug in copy operation

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Bug in copy operation

Post by *wanderer »

Ok, this is something that has happened to me more than one time but i've been playing with it for the last 10 minutes and i cannot find a way to reproduce it. It just happens randomly. It may have something to do with CopyInBackground setting.

I select a folder and i copy it from one panel to the other (i don't know if dragging / F5 make any difference). At the middle of the operation i cancel it (i don't know if Esc or clicking the Cancel button makes any difference). Sometimes i get a "User Abort" message. When i get that message, sometimes by clicking OK does not stop the process but it continues normally!

P.S.: I've set AlwaysCopyInBackground to either 0 or 1. I haven't tried it with 2.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Normally using latest TC on:
x32: WinXPx32 SP3
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
now

Post by *now »

This is intentional, is it not? At the "User Abort" dialog you have two options, OK and Cancel. Cancel cancels the copy operation. OK continues it. That's the behavior I've seen anyway. It's a very bad dialog, though, and it should be fixed.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

now wrote:This is intentional, is it not? At the "User Abort" dialog you have two options, OK and Cancel. Cancel cancels the copy operation. OK continues it. That's the behavior I've seen anyway. It's a very bad dialog, though, and it should be fixed.
No i don't think it is. Sometimes it appears, sometimes it doesn't. The times it appears, sometimes it cancels the operation, sometimes it doesn't! I'm not sure if it has OK and Cancel buttons (in my case at least). I think it only has an OK.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
x64: Clients/Servers from Win7 to Win11 and Win2K12Srv to Win2K22Srv, mainly Win10 though.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

I cannot confirm this problem so far. Please let me know if you find any method to reproduce it!

Btw, in the abort confirmation, OK aborts and Cancel continues! Maybe you pressed ESC too long?
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

That's veeery strange. It doesn't always work but try the following (using AlwaysCopyInBackground=0):

1. Open Program files on one panel and whatever empty dir you want in the other panel.
2. Drag-drop folders from Program files to the other panel and in the middle of the process, press esc. In my Win2KSP4-2 PC, this issue appears many times when i try it.

Also, another little issue, happening during the whole process. When you drag a folder with many files under it, it takes some time to calculate things. If during this process you press Esc, the calculation stops and the copy starts immediately. If during the copy process you press Esc, it does nothing. You have to lick on cancel button in order to cancel the copy process.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
now

Post by *now »

This is what happens for me:

1. Start copy
2. Press <Esc> during process
3. Get presented with a dialog that has "Total Commander" as a title, a stop-sign icon (MB_ERROR?), the text "User abort!", and two buttons "OK" and "Cancel" - This doesn't happen every time for me either, but most of the time.
4. If I press OK the process is aborted
5. If I press Cancel the process continues

It's strange that it doesn't always appear, though.
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

Geez, i probably need some sleep! I think i was pressing Esc when this dialog appeared, that's why it kept going...

Anyway, like now said, it is strange it doesn't always appear...
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

it doesn't always appear
Do you mean that the abort dialog doesn't always appear? Or that ESC in the abort dialog doesn't continue?
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:
it doesn't always appear
Do you mean that the abort dialog doesn't always appear? Or that ESC in the abort dialog doesn't continue?
The "User Abort" window with the OK/Cancel selection does not always appear. It seems to appear randomly.
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

This function already existed in TC6.55, did you have the same problem with it too?
wanderer
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *wanderer »

ghisler(Author) wrote:This function already existed in TC6.55, did you have the same problem with it too?
Using AlwaysCopyInBackground=0, no. I just tested it about 10-15 times and it was always displayed. I this it was always displayed using AlwaysCopyInBackground=1.

In TC7b1 sometimes it does not appear no matter what you have in AlwaysCopyInBackground (0 or 1).
- Wanderer -

¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Sheepdog
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Sheepdog »

Confirmed.

It seems to me that you can cancel the copy process without popping up the dialog box when a file has already been copied and TC is just creating a bunch of Subdirectories. (But there is no evidence here, it is rather a feeling.)

It happens with 6.55 , too.

When you copy only files the dialog always pops up.

sheepdog
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
Douglas Adams
bop sprengers

OK and Cancel

Post by *bop sprengers »

now wrote:This is intentional, is it not? At the "User Abort" dialog you have two options, OK and Cancel. Cancel cancels the copy operation. OK continues it. That's the behavior I've seen anyway. It's a very bad dialog, though, and it should be fixed.
'Continue' would be clearer than 'OK', I think
Bop Sprengers
BS-SOFT
Antwerp, Belgium
info@bs-soft.net
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unfortunately I couldn't reproduce this problem so far, TC7 works exactly like TC6.55 here. I will check the make directory function, though.
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

Why is this thread in confirmed bugs if the author can't confirm it?