Request: cm_MkDir (F7 NewFolder) improvements

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

jb

Request: cm_MkDir (F7 NewFolder) improvements

Post by *jb »

I appreciate the new features of the cm_MkDir command (F7 NewFolder). The HISTORY.TXT file describes them as follows:
  • 05.02.06 Added: Suggest dir name under cursor as default name on F7 Mkdir, so the user can edit the name.
  • 14.05.06 Added: F7 "New Folder" now has its own history of last created folders
Nevertheless I suggest the following:
  1. Also a file name should be suggested if the focus is on a file.
    This would be handy at least in the following cases:
    a) The focused file is an archive file (.zip, .rar, ...) and you want to create a directory into which you can extract individual files of the archive.
    b) You have multiple files that belong together and you want to move them to a new directory.
    By the way: Probably the current unnecessary restriction even causes additional code to distinguish between directory and file.
  2. The description of the second feature in the HISTORY.TXT is not quite correct.
    In fact the cm_MkDir history consists of the 20 most recently visible names in the cm_MkDir dialog (stored in the [MkDirHistory] section).
    That means that the name is also stored if the dialog is canceled.
    I am not sure whether this is a bug or a feature, but I would prefer that the name is stored only when the OK button is pressed resulting in a history of directories that somebody really tried to create (successfully or not).
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

1. Hmm, interesting idea - maybe TC should suggest "somename" when the file is named "somename.ext"? What do you think?

2. That's a good idea, I will change it.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Raymond

Post by *Raymond »

ghisler(Author) wrote:1. Hmm, interesting idea - maybe TC should suggest "somename" when the file is named "somename.ext"? What do you think?
Support!

At present I wrote a simple AutoIt script for this.

Code: Select all

$hwnd = WinGetHandle("Total Commander")
DllCall("user32.dll", "int", "PostMessage", "hwnd", $hwnd, "int", 1075, "int", 2017, "int", 0)
; cm_CopyNamesToClip
DllCall("user32.dll", "int", "PostMessage", "hwnd", $hwnd, "int", 1075, "int", 907, "int", 0)
; cm_MkDir
Send("^v")
; ctrl+v
jb

Post by *jb »

ghisler(Author) wrote:1. Hmm, interesting idea - maybe TC should suggest "somename" when the file is named "somename.ext"? What do you think?
Yes, that's even better than my suggestion.
StickyNomad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *StickyNomad »

2ghisler(Author)
maybe TC should suggest "somename" when the file is named "somename.ext"?
I agree, this would be a fine solution!
Sosna

Post by *Sosna »

'maybe TC should suggest "somename" when the file is named "somename.ext"?'

nice idea, support +
and thanks for nice feature with | symbol in that dialog
Ave Caesar Imperator,
moritari te salutant!
bugmenot

Post by *bugmenot »

*sign*

TC7b suggests directory names if of hovered. So it's only logical to proceed this on files. Nice feature.
RID500

Post by *RID500 »

ghisler(Author) wrote:1. Hmm, interesting idea -
maybe TC should suggest "somename"
when the file is named "somename.ext"?
Yes please, this would be handy.
Support++
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

a) The focused file is an archive file (.zip, .rar, ...) and you want to create a directory into which you can extract individual files of the archive.
FYI, TC creates a a folder based on the archive name, if the option
Unpack each archive to a separate subdir (name of the archive)
is selected in the Unpack files dialog.
I switched to Linux, bye and thanks for all the fish!
jb

Post by *jb »

SanskritFritz wrote:
FYI, TC creates a a folder based on the archive name, if the option
Unpack each archive to a separate subdir (name of the archive)
is selected in the Unpack files dialog.
Yes, but I wrote about another case. Please reread my text that you have even quoted. The key part is "individual files of the archive".
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2jb
Ok, ok, i thought i'm smart ... :oops:
Just wanted to help ;-)

... and increase my number of posts of course :D
jb

Post by *jb »

SanskritFritz wrote:Just wanted to help
I apreciate that.

By the way: I seems to me that you are quite familiar with AutoHotkey. Recently I bumped into a review in the German computer magazine c't (edition 26/2006, page 146..) about six Windows automation products. To my surprise AutoHotkey was not among them. The winner was a 1000 US-$ (!) product named AutoMate Professional. I wonder whether you know it and how you would roughly rate it in comparison to AutoHotkey. Currently I don't know neither of them, but it occurred to me that they might be useful to automate complicated software tests (including GUIs). Would you find AutoHotkey an appropriate tool for that?
Hacker

Post by *Hacker »

jb,
Currently I don't know neither of them, but it occurred to me that they might be useful to automate complicated software tests (including GUIs). Would you find AutoHotkey an appropriate tool for that?
:D :D :D
(Sorry, couldn't resist. I am looking forward to SanskritFritz's answer. :) )

Roman
Mal angenommen, du drückst Strg+F, wählst die FTP-Verbindung (mit gespeichertem Passwort), klickst aber nicht auf Verbinden, sondern fällst tot um.
ZoSTeR
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *ZoSTeR »

Currently I don't know neither of them, but it occurred to me that they might be useful to automate complicated software tests (including GUIs). Would you find AutoHotkey an appropriate tool for that?
Hehe before AHK finds another unsuspecting victim:

You should only use AHK if you can stand its awkward syntax and if you really make extensive use of hotkeys.

Otherwise you'll be much better of with AutoIt and its excellent editor Scite. The 2.0 versions of AI and AHK once shared the same source.
SanskritFritz
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *SanskritFritz »

2jb
Well, thanks, but I think there are some, like Majkinetor and Icfu and Hacker who have mastered AHK. Anyway, to answer your question, I first have to state that I used only AHK extensively, and AutoIt3 to some extent. I have never seen Automate or the like. I used Macro Express a lot, before I knew AHK. I actually agree with ZoSTeR, AHK syntax is just bad for a programmers mind. My choice is AHK because of stability and speed, but most of all, hotkeys and hotstrings, no other product has this excellent support for hotkeys and hotstrings IMHO. But for automated testing I rather recommend AutoIt3 or if you are familiar with Python or C++ or dotNET: Ranorex. For web based application automating i recommend Sahi. I personally havent tried either of them yet though.
As for AHK: I use it for my personal needs and also at my workplace for automated testing ;-)
My personal script mainly consists of many little functions that enhance my windows experience and complete functionalities of programs. You can see examples for that in the wiki.
At my work I use AHK for automated software testing, because AHK supports bitmap search, which is indispensable for me, as the app tested resides only on remote desktop, this means, no controls are available for automating, only screenshots of work phases. AHK works just wonderfully here.
Checking the feature list of AutoMate6, AHK also supports them with some extensions maybe, like Database connectivity with the excellent Cheetah wrapper etc. Maybe remote administration is the strength of AutoMate, but that can be achieved to some degree with AHK too: http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9938
As you can see, I'm an AutoHotkey fan :-) You can find incredible scripts in the forum, start with this topic:
Catalogue of All Scripts
So for me the real strength of AHK is speed and incredible stability, and that you can do nearly everything with it, the only real limitation is the awkward syntax.