search features request & misc suggestions

Here you can propose new features, make suggestions etc.

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

eydaimon

search features request & misc suggestions

Post by *eydaimon »

1. make it easier to select to search on directory names only.

I do search often. I've mapped ctrl+f to be search, but just to search for directory names only, I have to hit ctrl+f, select advanced tab, select attributes. It seems that a directory is common enough that it should be available to be checked on the initial tab.

2. index searching

It would be nice if directories were automatically indexed so that results appeared immediatly. Obviously there would have to be simple checks to verify existence of files, and to still scan for new files. But indexed files would still appear faster.

3. update the help to be in chm or some non antiquated help format

currently doesn't allow for copy and paste, etc. No searching within a page etc etc. To change this to the more current CHM format would be very nice.

4. remapping of keyboard shortcuts does not update interface

I think this is more of a bug. I mentioned I had remapped ctrl+f now to be "find" instead. However, for in the menus this still shows up under FTP connect as being the key binding.

5. backups allowing rsync type copying

I've mentione dthis before. TC already has pretty complex matching, it should be easy to just to make a simpler backup interface for those ppl who want to back up files. Perhaps even incremental backups.

Did I mention? I love TC. thanks for the hard work everyone!
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Re: search features request & misc suggestions

Post by *fenix_productions »

eydaimon wrote:1. make it easier to select to search on directory names only.

I do search often. I've mapped ctrl+f to be search, but just to search for directory names only, I have to hit ctrl+f, select advanced tab, select attributes. It seems that a directory is common enough that it should be available to be checked on the initial tab.
Someone else can say that searching for TXT files is common enoguh and there should be checkbox for that... I think current approach is OK.
eydaimon wrote:2. index searching

It would be nice if directories were automatically indexed so that results appeared immediatly. Obviously there would have to be simple checks to verify existence of files, and to still scan for new files. But indexed files would still appear faster.
It has been discussed many times. Please, use search.
eydaimon wrote:3. update the help to be in chm or some non antiquated help format

currently doesn't allow for copy and paste, etc. No searching within a page etc etc. To change this to the more current CHM format would be very nice.
Please, use search. Links were provided many times.
eydaimon wrote:4. remapping of keyboard shortcuts does not update interface

I think this is more of a bug. I mentioned I had remapped ctrl+f now to be "find" instead. However, for in the menus this still shows up under FTP connect as being the key binding.
It might be troublesome for an author because it would need to change ALL language and menus files. Not wise decision IMHO.
eydaimon wrote:5. backups allowing rsync type copying

I've mentione dthis before. TC already has pretty complex matching, it should be easy to just to make a simpler backup interface for those ppl who want to back up files. Perhaps even incremental backups.
IIRC it's also been discussed. Better to use standalone backup tool.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

eydaimon

Post by *eydaimon »

I'm not sure why my suggestions are so eagerly dismissed and shot down. perhaps suggestions are not really welcome here? If that's not true, be careful of the perception you give when responding.

That's what I'm doing. It's "slow" which is why I suggest some form of indexing.

Someone else can say that searching for TXT files is common enoguh and there should be checkbox for that... I think current approach is OK.
The option for text files is *.txt. I don't get your point?
Please, use search. Links were provided many times.
What does this have to do with being able to find text within a document?

That's like saying you should only use google search to find your documents, and never actually use find within a page to find other text you're looking at.

It might be troublesome for an author because it would need to change ALL language and menus files. Not wise decision IMHO.
I belive that's for the author to decide. You may be correct, but again I feel that suggestions are being dismissed on your whim here.

IIRC it's also been discussed. Better to use standalone backup tool.
A summary of this argument is that making small changes to a current application to make it more useful is bad because there are other tools are available.

Sorry, that doesn't make sense to me.

Why would people buy a backup tool if they can get both a file manager and a backup tool? TC is almost all the way there already.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Re: search features request & misc suggestions

Post by *HolgerK »

eydaimon wrote:1. make it easier to select to search on directory names only.

2. index searching

Command -> CD Tree <Alt+F10> :?:

:roll:
Holger
eydaimon

Post by *eydaimon »

Command -> CD Tree <Alt+F10>
Hmm, this may be very helpful. Thank you :)

Although, I can't seem to put in any text in the quick search box, so it's a bit useless. Do you have the same problem? bug?
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2eydaimon
All suggestions are welcome.

I am sorry for little rought post but some features are requested from time to time (all over again) and people don't even check if it's already been submitted. I didn't want to make you upset. I apologize.

I am also sorry because I don't want to write step by step why I've dismissed each idea. The reason for me is simple: if it's been disucussed (sometimes - in very long threads) there is no need for making summary for other threads. Anyone can find them, see what author said and take his voice in conversation. It is, of course, my whim only but I'd really like to see people searching before questioning, reading help files, etc. :)
Last edited by fenix_productions on 2009-01-16, 19:33 UTC, edited 2 times in total.
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

eydaimon

Post by *eydaimon »

fenix_productions wrote:2eydaimon
All suggestions are welcome.

I am sorry for little rought post but some features are requested from time to time (all over again) and people don't even check if it's already been submitted. I didn't want to make you upset. I apologize.
ok. thank you :)
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

eydaimon wrote:Although, I can't seem to put in any text in the quick search box, so it's a bit useless. Do you have the same problem? bug?
Simply type the text while the dialog is open.
<Ctrl+Enter> or <Ctrl+Down/Up> to find next/previous match.
<Enter> to switch into the selected directory.
Help 4.b wincmd.ini wrote:TreeFileLocation= Define different location of files treeinfo.wc, e.g. treefilelocation=c:\somedir\treeinfo%D%.wc

%D% is replaced by the drive letter (or root of share, \ replaced by _)

%R% is replaced by the root path

%L% is replaced by the volume label.

Please note that these variables MUST be upperase, otherwise TC will look for the environment variables with these names!

TreeFileLocationE= Sets location of treeinfo file only for drive E. Only works if treefilelocation= is set too!

TreeFileLocation__server_share= Sets location of treeinfo file only for drive \\server\share (treefilelocation= MUST be set too).

TreeUpdateLimit=2048 Size (in kBytes), up to which the tree file treeinfo.wc will be updated automatically during file operations like copying or deleting. This update would take a long time for very large trees.
HTH,
Holger
eydaimon

Post by *eydaimon »

this is very helpful. thank you. now if only the same kindof indexing could be done with files :)
Lefteous
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *Lefteous »

2eydaimon
1. make it easier to select to search on directory names only.
Try the LOADSEARCH command to load a saved search which saves only for dirs.
eydaimon

Post by *eydaimon »

Try the LOADSEARCH command to load a saved search which saves only for dirs.
I'm not finding any help on this command. how can I find out how to use it?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

You can find it in the help for "Dialog box: Configuration - Change button bar"
10. LOADSEARCH saved_search_name opens search function with saved search.
That's what I'm doing. It's "slow" which is why I suggest some form of indexing.
Just for the record - fenix_productions means use the FORUM search - not the search in TC
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

petermad wrote:
Just for the record - fenix_productions means use the FORUM search - not the search in TC
And one of the forum search results reveals this jewel:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=152319#152319

:wink: ,
Holger
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

And one of the forum search results reveals this jewel:
http://ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?p=152319#152319

:wink:
:oops:
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
eydaimon

Post by *eydaimon »

The topic here was indexed search. Not sure how searching the forum helps me search my own files any faster. I certainly hope they don't have them indexed.