Total Commander lag when installed in a Virtualbox XP system

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

Cooperdale

Total Commander lag when installed in a Virtualbox XP system

Post by *Cooperdale »

I'm using a Windows XP system inside Vista64, with Total Commander latest version installed. The software has a problem: it is very slow in visualizing the folders shared between host and guest operating systems, while the default windows explorer visualizes them instantly.

This only happens when there is a .exe file in the shared folder, otherwise visualization is immediate with TC too.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Not confirmed, I used XP on XP x64 with VirtualBox in between and I've been in such situation many times, no noticeable slowdown at all.

I guess that either it's Vista or you need to find more details.
Cooperdale

Post by *Cooperdale »

m^2 wrote:Not confirmed, I used XP on XP x64 with VirtualBox in between and I've been in such situation many times, no noticeable slowdown at all.

I guess that either it's Vista or you need to find more details.
It may be Vista, I don't know. It's a fresh XP installation. If the folder contains exe files, it takes minutes to list them in the half TC window.

If I simply rename the files to .ex, the slow down goes away. Is this abnormally strange or what? It's no big deal, but when something like this happens I always try to sort it out.
Cooperdale

Post by *Cooperdale »

I've fixed it. It was all about icons. I needed to disable exe/lnk icon visualization for net folders.

Thanks for the help.
m^2
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *m^2 »

Still, I didn't have to disable anything.
Could you try another file manager? FreeCommander or so?
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

It may be a virus scanner problem (scanning the EXE when TC gets its icon).
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
Cooperdale

Post by *Cooperdale »

ghisler(Author) wrote:It may be a virus scanner problem (scanning the EXE when TC gets its icon).
No, I don't use a virus scanner on the virtual XP system, and I don't think my Vista virus scanner can see through virtualization.
karlchen
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *karlchen »

Hello, Cooperdale.

Is there a chance perhaps that on the Vista host system the resident virus scanner tries to scan the large image file which represents your virtual WinXP system?

Karl
Cooperdale

Post by *Cooperdale »

karlchen wrote:Hello, Cooperdale.

Is there a chance perhaps that on the Vista host system the resident virus scanner tries to scan the large image file which represents your virtual WinXP system?

Karl
Yes, I think it may be possible. I'll add the virtual drives folder to the exclusion list of the antivirus.

EDIT: no, I just checked. It's definitely not the antivirus.
MVV
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *MVV »

Host antivirus can't scan your image files because it doesn't know it structure. But it can scan files if shared folder you are trying to access because when you access a shared file within VM, your VM access this file within host machine.

And of course icon extracting on network drives may be slow.

BTW, I have similar trouble in VMWare - host Vista x64, virtual XP SP3, I try to browse shared WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 folder of my host XP SP3 installation.
Cooperdale

Post by *Cooperdale »

Well, now that I've changed that setting the problem is gone. I know it shouldn't have been there at all, but computers are a superstitious and cowardly lot ;).