Extracting from a .zip archive onto a Flash drive hangs

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

wlamia

Extracting from a .zip archive onto a Flash drive hangs

Post by *wlamia »

With a .zip folder open on the left panel, and a Flash drive on the right panel, copying a file from left to right hangs TC 7.5 beta. I have to abort the process to recover. I even tried reformatting the flash drive first, and it still hangs.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Not confirmed here, sorry.

How long did you wait? How big is the zip? Btw, writing with WriteFile to a flash drive is VERY slow on Windows XP and later, because there is no write cache. It's strongly recommended to unpack to a local direcrory and then copy the files to the flash drive.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
wlamia

Post by *wlamia »

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried the same operation with the same hardware on TC 7.04a and it works fine. The only difference was TC 7.50. Multiple tries produced the same results.

I suppose it is possible that there is a very strange hardware interaction at play. The flash drive is labeled "Integral 1GB" but I have no way of knowing who really made it. It's probably a cheap-o generic.
DrShark
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *DrShark »

wlamia wrote:I tried the same operation with the same hardware on TC 7.04a and it works fine. The only difference was TC 7.50. Multiple tries produced the same results.
What OS are you using?
Did you try to change settings on Operation->Copy/Delete?
wlamia wrote:I suppose it is possible that there is a very strange hardware interaction at play. The flash drive is labeled "Integral 1GB" but I have no way of knowing who really made it. It's probably a cheap-o generic.
Maybe tools like Unknown device identifier and (if you have usb flash drive) USB ID Check will help to get more info.
Donate for Ukraine to help stop Russian invasion!
Ukraine's National Bank special bank account:
UA843000010000000047330992708
wlamia

working now...

Post by *wlamia »

Very strange - it seems to be working OK now.

FYI, OS is WinXP Home SP3, with all current updates applied.

Could be an odd race condition that caused the problem. I've been experiencing some networking problems, too.
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Maybe it was caused by a virus scanner or so. I will move this message to "will not be changed". Please let us know if it happens again.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com