Strange behaviour if path too long.

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

bbutcher

Strange behaviour if path too long.

Post by *bbutcher »

1. Create in root of drive c: folder with name "This is a first folder with long name for the demonstration of a new bug in Total Commander".

2. In it create another folder with name: "This is a second folder with long name for the demonstration of a new bug in Total Commander".

3. In second folder create folder with name: "This is a third folder with long name for the demonstration of a new bug in Total Commander".

4. In third folder create folder with name: "This is a fourth folder with long name for the demonstration of a new bug in Total Commander".

5. In fourth folder create folder with name: "This is a fifth folder with long name for the demonstration of a new bug in Total Commander".

4. In fifth folder create folder with name: "This is a sixth folder with long name for the demonstration of a new bug in Total Commander".

5. In sixth folder create folder with name: "This is a seventh folder with long name for the demonstration of a new bug in Total Commander".

6. Create in seveth folder file "1.txt".

7. Try to delete this file or any of these folders.
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2bbutcher
No problems with deleting here.

What operating system do you have?

The only "strange" thing is that TC informs me about length limit when I want to create some file in the deepest level (or copy something there).
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

Bluestar

Post by *Bluestar »

I think thats a bug how Windows handles long directory names.

I did the steps bbutcher wrote above, and thats true: when deleting the file or any of directories, TC says its write-protected (using default TC settings, and F8 key to delete). Anyway, the strange is when I press Shift+F8 keys on 1.txt, the file is being deleted succesfully, without any errors.

Comment: I'm using Windows XP SP3 Professional SP3 (HUN), and Total Commander public beta 2.
HolgerK
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *HolgerK »

See also Christian's answer "Recycle bin doesn't support names longer than 259 characters"

Regards
Holger
sqa_wizard
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *sqa_wizard »

Time to throw a CAUTION

Though TC is able to handle names longer than 259 characters, it is NOT recommended to create names of this length !
Just use TC to correct this names with oversize ...

Most of the existing programs (and even some Windows components) cannot handle it !

It doesn't make sense to create such names, if you cannot use them.
#5767 Personal license
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

Well, TC does indeed warn when you try to create them...
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com