cm_ShowHints

The behaviour described in the bug report is either by design, or would be far too complex/time-consuming to be changed

Moderators: white, Hacker, petermad, Stefan2

cheming

cm_ShowHints

Post by *cheming »

I don't like the hint window follows my cursor for it is annoying some time. So, I defined CTRL-0 as cm_ShowHints command and show the window as demand.

1. If I didn't turn on the config->display->win32 style tips... option, the hint window doesn't display at all. :cry:

2. If I turned it on, then move the cursor to somefile and press CTRL-0, another mouse point will appear. :?: I found the max number of duplicated mouse pointer is 5. I means when move the cursor to the 6th file and press CTRL-0, the first mouse pointer disappeared and new one is duplicated, so there are FIVE mouse pointers on the screen.

BTW: How can I display some picture such as the icon of it in the hint window?
petermad
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *petermad »

I can not duplicate that based on your description.
Upload the picture somewhere on the internet and post the link. This forum does not support pictures.
License #524 (1994)
Danish Total Commander Translator
TC 11.03 32+64bit on Win XP 32bit & Win 7, 8.1 & 10 (22H2) 64bit, 'Everything' 1.5.0.1371a
TC 3.50 on Android 6 & 13
Try: TC Extended Menus | TC Languagebar | TC Dark Help | PHSM-Calendar
Clo

Tssss, tsssss…

Post by *Clo »

2petermad

:) Hi Peter !
…This forum does not support pictures.
• That isn't quite true, please remember THIS THREAD, in fact the marker is NOT enabled
as it should for AGES, that's all… :twisted:

:mrgreen: KR
Claude
Clo
#31505 Traducteur Français de TC French translator Aide en Français Tutoriels Français English Tutorials
cheming

Post by *cheming »

petermad wrote:I can not duplicate that based on your description.
Upload the picture somewhere on the internet and post the link. This forum does not support pictures.
1. move the cursor using keyboard then press CTRL-0. :?
2. I means I want display the icons or other some images in the hint window not in this forum. :lol:
fenix_productions
Power Member
Power Member

Post by *fenix_productions »

2cheming
cheming wrote:2. I means I want display the icons or other some images in the hint window not in this forum. :lol:
Unfortunately, it's not possible.

Such feature has already been suggested too (i.e. here).
"When we created the poke, we thought it would be cool to have a feature without any specific purpose." Facebook...

cheming

Post by *cheming »

fenix_productions wrote:2cheming
cheming wrote:2. I means I want display the icons or other some images in the hint window not in this forum. :lol:
Unfortunately, it's not possible.

Such feature has already been suggested too (i.e. here).
but Ghisler said he would consider it when it is 2006 :-)
cheming

Post by *cheming »

1. cm_ShowHint should override "win32-style tips with file comments" setting. Even that option is not turn on, but when users called cm_ShowHint, the hint window also should display.

2. Mouse Pointer Duplicated issue. In my VM, this can't be reproduced but can be at home and in office machine. I guess TC moved MP to the selected file and displayed hint window then moved MP to origin point.

3. I suggest adding image-displaying feature to the hint window. It is cool and useful!
ghisler(Author)
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by *ghisler(Author) »

cm_ShowHints simply places the mouse cursor over the active file, it doesn't display a hint by itself. Therefore it works only when you have hints enabled. cm_ShowHint is meant to be used with a keyboard shortcut to display the hint. This bahaviour is by design.
Author of Total Commander
https://www.ghisler.com
cheming

Post by *cheming »

The behavior of TC's hint window is not as same as Windows. Windows will close the hint window when the user moves the mouse or clicks the mouse and will display it again when the mouse stops at another file for a while. But the TC will display the hint window and follow the mouse. It is annoying sometime. So, I suggest:

1. design a new command to let uses switch display or not so we can assign it to a hotkey.
2. stop display the hint continuously.
3. make cm_ShowHints override the setting of hints enabled. so let users display the hint on demand.